forum

"Otaku" - what is this I don't even

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Restless Spirit
So I've heard a bunch of people saying I'm an Otaku. But I don't consider myself an Otaku since I don't really know what an Otaku really is. What are the things making a "normal" person an Otaku? They say I'm an Otaku because I watch animes (but I do only from time to time), play osu! and like the anime style of drawing things and persons (I'm drawing things like that myself from time to time but I'm not very good at it). They say I am because I like the voices, listen to Vocaloid and write in a forum like this is. But is this what makes me an Otaku? I don't think so since I've never read any mangas, can't speak a word japanese (apart from "kawaii") and I pretty much hate cosplay above all else, along with words like "moe" and stuff.

So what makes a "normal" person an Otaku?
adam2046
Nobody agrees what it means in the context of the western fan base. There are some people who use it as a catch all for anyone who likes Japanese animation or even just Japanese culture, there are those who think you can only be a true otaku after having watched a million billion anime, there are those who think it's only for the true fans who devote their lives to hobby of being otaku and there are those who use it in the context of its Japanese meaning.
It doesn't really matter if you are one or aren't one, if someone calls you one, how much of an otaku you are, or even what it means.

It's just a label that means whatever the user feels it means.
those
You saying "animes" instead of "anime" proves you're not otaku.

omae wa otaku de wa nai
silmarilen
some people would say you are an otaku just for having an anime character in your ava/sig already
i think otaku is just another box to put people in, the ones that like anime.

but as adam said, everybody has a different meaning.
Accelerator-kun

those wrote:

omae wa otaku de wa nai
he also said mangas :P
Topic Starter
Restless Spirit
I see. And I know it's "anime" and not "animes", since I say "otaku" and not "otakus" (and so on) but in germany you say that, dunno why. In germany we put an "s" after a word to say it's more than one, EVERYTIME (except for real german words of course, you know). Just some kind of habit I have.

So "Otaku" is nothing but a label and is just to describe a group of people who are interested in any part of japanese culture or things related to it. So: yay, I still consider myself not to be an otaku. And yay, I consider myself to be not anything where you could build up a box to throw me in. So: thank you guys for bringing light into the darkness of unknown depths.
Cyclohexane
Otaku Culture sounds a bit better than Weeaboo Corner, doesn't it?

Calling someone an otaku is about as accurate as calling someone a geek btw, and should be rewarded by a power drill to the face.
Giganscudo
ampzz
Urban Dictionary - reliable source for any relevant, accurate information...

There's quite a few misconceptions as to what being an otaku really is and I don't feel like listing through all of them nor explaining why most people are idiots when they try to use 'being an otaku' as a derogatory term.

End of the line it doesn't really matter as people have a passion for as it isn't like they're going to do yourself any harm now is it?
Unless of course the person is an obsessive idiot trying to force their views onto others.
Tshemmp

Powersocke wrote:

In germany we put an "s" after a word to say it's more than one, EVERYTIME.
This is just TOTALLY wrong. We only put an "s" for the plural if the word is a loanword or an abbreviation (like LCDs, Vuvuzelas, TVs, Shows, Animes, ...). For real german words we don't add this "s" (Betten, Hunde, Häuser, Nahrungsmittel, Karten, ...).
Sorun

Powersocke wrote:

My opinion of what a otaku is, is a person who watches loads of anime (mostly subs) or entertains them self with anything anime related. (Manga, VN, LN ect...)

They also become grand master wizards if there still a virgin by there 30th birthday.

:D
Topic Starter
Restless Spirit

Tshemmp wrote:

Powersocke wrote:

In germany we put an "s" after a word to say it's more than one, EVERYTIME.
This is just TOTALLY wrong. We only put an "s" for the plural if the word is a loanword or an abbreviation (like LCDs, Vuvuzelas, TVs, Shows, Animes, ...). For real german words we don't add this "s" (Betten, Hunde, Häuser, Nahrungsmittel, Karten, ...).
Yeah, you're right, it was a bit late yesterday. I meant it like you said but wrote it wrong. Sorry for that. I should go to sleep earlier I suppose.
Elfuun_old

Mr Color wrote:

Otaku Culture sounds a bit better than Weeaboo Corner, doesn't it?

Calling someone an otaku is about as accurate as calling someone a geek btw, and should be rewarded by a power drill to the face.
Hitsugaya936
What are the things making a "normal" person an Otaku?
I watch animes (but I do only from time to time), play osu! and like the anime style of drawing things and persons
^ this things :D
Moriya Suwako
Just like you, my friends always tell me that I am an Otaku, but they aren't otaku.
What I can't understand is that they love anime,too. But the difference is that they prefer horrible anime or Shounen anime.
So in my opinion if you want to becomer an otaku then you need to like "moe" anime?
Actually there's a lot of anime fans in China but only part of them are considered as otaku.I think the difference between otaku and non-otaku is all because of moe anime...
Moriya Suwako

those wrote:

omae wa otaku de wa nai
I always said "animes" in my English class before and my English teacher had corrected this word for more than 5 times 0.0
ziin

Powersocke wrote:

an elfen lied signature.
Hitsugaya936

yellowyoshi1996 wrote:

those wrote:

omae wa otaku de wa nai
I always said "animes" in my English class before and my English teacher had corrected this word for more than 5 times 0.0
it's wrong :P

Otaku (おたく / オタク?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga or video games.

What is not understandable? Otaku - a person who is something very impressed. And this is not necessarily anime. For example people just constantly stays home and plays video games. Not to be confused with hikkikomori. Otaku can easily go outside, walk and talk with friends in real life.
The Ribbon Red

Hitsugaya936 wrote:

Not to be confused with hikkikomori. Otaku can easily go outside, walk and talk with friends in real life.
I see several people misconcepted this.
And they just spur their idiotic hatred without even knowing the truth.
Accelerator-kun

The Ribbon Red wrote:

Hitsugaya936 wrote:

Not to be confused with hikkikomori. Otaku can easily go outside, walk and talk with friends in real life.
this.
Hitsugaya936

The Ribbon Red wrote:

Hitsugaya936 wrote:

Hatred? I said something wrong? :?
The Ribbon Red

Hitsugaya936 wrote:

Hatred? I said something wrong? :?
No, you didn't. On the contrary, you just brought light to the truth.
But "those who wouldn't understand" just closed their ears and eyes and shunned the innocent.
mathexpert

yellowyoshi1996 wrote:

Just like you, my friends always tell me that I am an Otaku, but they aren't otaku.
What I can't understand is that they love anime,too. But the difference is that they prefer horrible anime or Shounen anime.
So in my opinion if you want to becomer an otaku then you need to like "moe" anime?
Actually there's a lot of anime fans in China but only part of them are considered as otaku.I think the difference between otaku and non-otaku is all because of moe anime...
According to sankaku complex and 2ch (both very unreliable sources xD), there are 2 types of otaku:
Type A
A person who simply enjoys “anime.”
Is proud of Japan’s anime.
Evaluates anime based on direction, voice acting, art, etc.
Hates shallow anime with no real content.
Story emphasis >>>>> Moe anime.

A recent example would Higashi no Eden. Fans of anime like Lain or Ghost in the Shell would probably be this kind.
Type B
A person who simply enjoys “characters.”
Will watch an anime if it includes cute or beautiful characters.
Doesn’t care if story is awful, as long as the characters are of interest.
Evaluates anime based on which seiyuu are in it and what the characters look like.
Loves moe elements. Doesn’t like complex anime.
The otaku the media picks up on are usually this kind.
Doesn’t know that much about anime and so is often criticised as by Type A otaku.
However, they make much better customers than the more discerning Type A otaku.
Recently there has been a huge increase in anime targeted at Type B otaku.
People who like K-ON!, Queen’s Blade, Strike Witches and so on would be in this class.
Obviously, there's going to be overlaps though. Personally I enjoy most anime regardless, from death note to clannad to K-ON! ~
-----
lol...in taiwan, the word "otaku" was being both overused and misused so much that nowadays the word only indicates people who like to stay at home, no negative meaning at all :3
(I think it has something to do with our interpret to the kanji as well 0.0)
Hitsugaya936
no negative meaning at all :3
in Russia too
However, in my country, people who are passionate about anime called "animeshniki"
They also love to get together in the center of the city, rush like mad and drink alcohol in their 12-15 years
Like this
And. .. swim in the fountain? O__O
We have very few real otaku :(
Net-Nue
^Lol XD
The Ribbon Red

mathexpert9981 wrote:

Obviously, there's going to be overlaps though. Personally I enjoy most anime regardless, from death note to clannad to K-ON! ~
We are from the similar kind.

Hitsugaya936 wrote:

no negative meaning at all :3
in Russia too
However, in my country, people who are passionate about anime called "animeshniki"
They also love to get together in the center of the city, rush like mad and drink alcohol in their 12-15 years
Like this
And. .. swim in the fountain? O__O
We have very few real otaku :(
DAFUQ?

I've only seen people treating us like we always do things like that (but in truth, we don't). This is the first time I see people like that. I bet they're mainstreamers...
Hitsugaya936

The Ribbon Red wrote:

This is the first time I see people like that.
I see this every sunday when I come to the city center for a walk with my brothers. :o
Most of them looked just Naruto and Death Note with the Russian fandub. :|
The Ribbon Red

Hitsugaya936 wrote:

The Ribbon Red wrote:

This is the first time I see people like that.
I see this every sunday when I come to the city center for a walk with my brothers. :o
Most of them just looked Naruto and Death Note with the Russian fandub. :|
See? Mainstreamers...
Accelerator-kun

The Ribbon Red wrote:

See? Mainstreamers...
Death Note is ok (it's awesome).

Naruto should burn in the hell forever.
The Ribbon Red

Accelerator-kun wrote:

True. But Otaku does not only look at 2 anime/manga at a time.
Accelerator-kun

The Ribbon Red wrote:

Accelerator-kun wrote:

True. But Otaku does not only look at 2 anime/manga at a time.
True, but don't put Death Note and Naruto in the same post, please.
those
Please don't put Naruto in any post, please.
The Ribbon Red

Accelerator-kun wrote:

True, but don't put Death Note and Naruto in the same post, please.

those wrote:

Please don't put Naruto in any post, please.
Hey, it's not my post. (Mine's a quote)

IMO, Naruto exist for those who're having trouble catching up with everything. Those who're not are okay to watch, but I doubt you want to keep watching it.

Maybe I should search for "Otaku"/weeaboo that only watch Naruto and ask them to play some mystery games. If the theory is proven correct, they'll be the perfect time waster for my school festival's Ghost House (and the ones to avoid).
Mara
More like weeaboo.
The Ribbon Red

LunaticMara wrote:

More like weeaboo.
Oh, right. Fixing it.
show more