forum

[resolved] Not really Techno

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
DFLT
Just wanted to point on that 99% of the songs listed under the genre of techno aren't actually techno, but are actually other forms of electronic music. People not too familiar with the electronic field of music call it all "techno", though that is actually a very specific genre of music with specific properties. I see everything from trance, hardstyle, drum and bass, dubstep, hands up, hardcore, electro, house, EBM, and more all listed under "Techno".

Of course nobody would ever go back and tag/sort everything accordingly, nor do I think that many genres should be added considering that there are very few to begin with, it would be silly have have 75% of the genres be electronic genres specifically. Though switching the genre name from "Techno" to "Electronic" would make sense seeing that even if a song was actually techno, it would still be part of the electronic family, so nothing would be out of place.

I'm sure many people think I'm nitpicking, but if anyone on here is into music even half as much as I am, they would probably find it really unprofessional considering how flawless osu and it's site/community is in every other regard, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The possibility of peppy or someone else being capable of accomplishing such a task doesn't seem far fetched either, so at the least I needed to point it out.
awp
have you noticed how "Anime" is a genre as well? These aren't really music genres, per se. I'd still agree with the suggestion to turn the name from Techno to Electronic, because when in doubt, just go with the umbrella parent genre
MMzz
There isn't even much of a difference between techno and electronic.

Anything techno/electronic on here anyways is either crappy EDM or Konami tracks (That go under Video Games.)
Topic Starter
DFLT

awp wrote:

have you noticed how "Anime" is a genre as well? These aren't really music genres, per se. I'd still agree with the suggestion to turn the name from Techno to Electronic, because when in doubt, just go with the umbrella parent genre
well it isn't a genre really, but there's a lot of anime music on here so it makes sense. It's more the point of a poorly named "category" than about genres.
Topic Starter
DFLT

MMzz wrote:

There isn't even much of a difference between techno and electronic.

Anything techno/electronic on here anyways is either crappy EDM or Konami tracks (That go under Video Games.)
saying there isn't much of a difference between techno and electronic is like saying there isn't much of a difference between a "trout" and a "fish", one is genre and one is a family of genres.

I see a ton of electronic music on here that is neither techno nor EDM, though I will admit there is a lot of EDM, still backing my point up though since it isn't techno.
MMzz

17 pages = a ton?
Consider that over half of these are probably Nightcore.
Topic Starter
DFLT

MMzz wrote:

17 pages = a ton?
Consider that over half of these are probably Nightcore.
That's plenty enough for me considering most aren't techno, I wouldn't really consider a small problem something to just ignore, though I could understand if this just get brushed off to the side and forgotten. There are probably many things being done to the site and client all the time, of greater importance, though it's not like I'm wrong :P
Soaprman
This was mentioned in another thread too: t/78758

It was a good idea then and it's a good idea now.
theowest
Most of the music posted in Music Hall is also electronic.
My1_old
but not the mappers assign the genre, afaik these can only BATs and/or MATs do