forum

Live Streams listing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
Yesterday I added a new page to the osu! website listing any users streaming osu! on the gaming live stream service twitch.tv. You can find it under the Community menu (or just click here to check it out). I'm hoping this will encourage more people to stream osu! gameplay and share their knowledge and enjoyment with others.

To get yourself listed, all you need to do is stream on twitch.tv with your game set to "Osu!" (capital letter :(). Keep in mind that getting streaming setup does require a bit of knowledge and a fairly decent PC setup. It'd be nice to see someone make a wiki page with basic guidance and links to get things setup in a nice way for osu! streaming *hint hint* :).

Feel free to share yourself playing osu!, editing maps and anything else vaguely related to the osu! ecosystem. Personally I stick to screen-casting coding new features and fixing bugs, so keep a watch out for that too!
theowest
I guess it's time to create a live stream for myself then. :>

edit: http://www.twitch.tv/theowest
OnosakiHito
Nice idea.
I do be glad to stream the taiko modus later when my exams are over, since I had this idea before too and my PC has a pretty decent setup as well.
I will looking forward to this.
-Lunasa-
arrrrrr I think I have to restart my stream channel now lol

I think I will be streaming taiko
Chewin
Nice *o*
leepdesu
"You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video."

FOR OSU!
Stefan
peppy, you make me poop because of this.
birra

-LeeP- wrote:

"You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video."

FOR OSU!
Andrea
Awesome, might gonna stream something soon :)
ReVeNg3r
I have no account on twitch
i have no account on any streaming service :(
bomber34
Your Live Stream yesterday was cool... to bad twitch had a problem with me .... I couldnt log in. Asked both for pw and username again :/
It didn't helped but i guess this will get fixed sometime :3
boat

ReVeNg3r wrote:

then make one lardass
Sakura

ReVeNg3r wrote:

It takes less than 10 minutes to make a twitch account, it shouldnt be complicated at all :)
friendok53

boat wrote:

ReVeNg3r wrote:

then make one lardass

WHY COULDN'T I THINK OF THAT

XPJ38
peppy, after watching you on your live stream I have to say that you have a wonderful tracklist, nicely fitted for work. Could you please share some of your sources with us? :)
GladiOol
This will be great! I hope a lot of mappers will open up some mapping streams... finally I can see how they map :D
Shiro

GladiOol wrote:

This will be great! I hope a lot of mappers will open up some mapping streams... finally I can see how they map :D
I don't know if mine would be listed there. I'm not using twitch.tv
GladiOol

Odaril wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

I don't know if mine would be listed there. I'm not using twitch.tv
then start using it :D

I can't stream myself, since my PC is a toaster and it can't handle a live stream /o/
Mesita
ohh i streamed some live flashlight plays some while ago and i had to announce it through osu! chat :(... i hope i can watch some entertaining plays from work/university ;)
Excellent idea, i'm really looking forward to it.
Doodley
Oh, this is pretty sweet.

I could probably do a stream of some mapping this summer. The PC I normally use is garbage but I can map on a friend's.

Perhaps I could stream making a skin? No? Maybe?
Lesjuh
Perhaps I'll do some mapping streams this summer :D
[Luanny]
so sad my pc is a trash can but will be very cool to watch some streams :D
I need a better connection first, orz
KRZY

peppy wrote:

To get yourself listed, all you need to do is stream on twitch.tv with your game set to "Osu!" (capital letter :().
Can anyone help me with how to do this step? Can't seem to find where I set games for my stream...
weaboo toolbag

KRZY wrote:

peppy wrote:

To get yourself listed, all you need to do is stream on twitch.tv with your game set to "Osu!" (capital letter :().
Can anyone help me with how to do this step? Can't seem to find where I set games for my stream...
go to your channel and hover near the top right of your video/ to the left of your chat. click the pencil and set your game
KRZY

weaboo toolbag wrote:

go to your channel and hover near the top right of your video/ to the left of your chat. click the pencil and set your game
Thanks!
Nyquill
I like how my laptop shits itself trying to encode and stream. Guess I'll be streaming on days where I have access to a desktop then.
Ishmon
I'll be happy to help anyone setup their stream for osu gameplay send me a message if you need help :)
MoonShade
Very nice idea :3

SPOILER
Seems like APIs aren't so bad after all
Aoko
It's a good idea. I don't think I'll probably do any streaming but i'll just try it xD
Like said before, It would be nice to watch pros play live and watch mappers map their beatmaps also.
IkkiMinami
Nice :) :)
Topic Starter
peppy

MoonShade wrote:

don't tell twitch, but i had to resort to scraping due to the lack of APIs at their end ^^;
Sync
naughty naughty

OT: if only my computer wasn't a calculator ;_; nice feature
Sakura
Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder is an option to stream, however you'd need a separate program that can capture your desktop and act as a virtual webcam. (Also i haven't tried the latest ones since 2.5 is the least laggiest one i might provide a link to that one).
Another option is XSplit but it has few options and lower quality unless you pay for it, it does have it's own screen capture feature and less processes running on your PC = less lag on your PC when streaming.

I'll probably put a guide on the wiki soon, but this should do for now.
MoonShade

peppy wrote:

MoonShade wrote:

don't tell twitch, but i had to resort to scraping due to the lack of APIs at their end ^^;
Well that surprisingly supports my thesis even more. I never realized that the games aren't real categories...
At least their AIPs are good enough to tell my signature weather or not I'm livestreaming x)

But possible solution: Private value fields for the twich username in osu! profiles. Anybody who can figure out how to livestream should be able to click a few more times and specify their username. With that, you could use the API... wait you would have to make like 1000 requests this way... hm I guess this API really doesn't help that much in it's current state :?
Topic Starter
peppy
Already considered; They have upper limits on their API which would make that less useful than my current solution. I may add a field for twitch usernames to profiles so users can be linked on the streams page, though.
Nightfirecat
Funny story - I actually tried streaming osu! yesterday, but ran into some serious lag, so I probably need to adjust my stream settings, since I run osu! with <20% CPU when I'm not streaming. >_>
Maybe my computer's just too old for this kind of thing now. :c
-Lunasa-

Nightfirecat wrote:

Funny story - I actually tried streaming osu! yesterday, but ran into some serious lag, so I probably need to adjust my stream settings, since I run osu! with <20% CPU when I'm not streaming. >_>
Maybe my computer's just too old for this kind of thing now. :c

live stream require both CPU and GPU power

anyway, I have tested the streaming channel. It can stream VERY smooth

I will be streaming taiko solo or multi game play ( weak newbie, sorry)
-Lunasa-

Sakura wrote:

Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder is an option to stream, however you'd need a separate program that can capture your desktop and act as a virtual webcam. (Also i haven't tried the latest ones since 2.5 is the least laggiest one i might provide a link to that one).
Another option is XSplit but it has few options and lower quality unless you pay for it, it does have it's own screen capture feature and less processes running on your PC = less lag on your PC when streaming.

I'll probably put a guide on the wiki soon, but this should do for now.

xsplit can do everything
Sakura
Well i made a guide here: http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Live_streaming_osu! still would like it to be cleaned a bit more, anyone could help out ^_^
Randy96

Sakura wrote:

Well i made a guide here: http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Live_streaming_osu! still would like it to be cleaned a bit more, anyone could help out ^_^
http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Live_streaming_osu!
:?
sCam
hey can u guys see my stream? i dont see it listed in the osu directory on this site.

http://www.twitch.tv/dunku3k
saymun
I'm actually interested in streaming but I haven't read much about it. Is there any recommended upload speed?...Because Australian net sucks and gives us the absolute worst speeds ever
Sakura

sCam wrote:

hey can u guys see my stream? i dont see it listed in the osu directory on this site.

It is listed.

saymun wrote:

I'm actually interested in streaming but I haven't read much about it. Is there any recommended upload speed?...Because Australian net sucks and gives us the absolute worst speeds ever
For good quality i'd say 500 kbps or higher, recommended 1 mbps.
Topic Starter
peppy
500kbit is more than enough (especially if you have the CPU to use VP6 in FME) unless you are trying to push 60fps at high resolutions. Stick to 30fps and you should be fine. I can stream near-lossless 1920x1080 with 500kbit video 128kbit audio with an upwards sync of ~1000kbit (aussie net).
sCam

Sakura wrote:

sCam wrote:

It is listed.
yes! this is awesome, great idea peppy! love this friggin game xD
Sushi
I might do a mapping stream when I get back to it... Probably...
Daru
Is this limited to solely osu! gameplay/mapping?

If possible, I'd like to be listed if I stream some osu! fanart drawing as well.
Topic Starter
peppy

peppy wrote:

Feel free to share yourself playing osu!, editing maps and anything else vaguely related to the osu! ecosystem. Personally I stick to screen-casting coding new features and fixing bugs, so keep a watch out for that too!
Shirotaku
I can't wait till my finals are done and I'll live stream everyday XDD
Komeiji Yuki
Awesome

I have streamed for several monthes :P"
show more