forum

Switch from clicking to keyboard ZX

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iCarnage
Hey, i'm level 65 and i'm rank 38k. I'm decent I think.. I can play most insane songs thrown at me. I'm trying to switch from clicking with the mouse to using Z X only. I normally played with mouse and ZX for streams... It's just so hard for me to switch from the mouse. Anyone got anything that can help me?
those
What are you having trouble doing, exactly?
Kanye West

XxYujixX wrote:

Hey, i'm level 65 and i'm rank 38k. I'm decent I think.. I can play most insane songs thrown at me. I'm trying to switch from clicking with the mouse to using Z X only. I normally played with mouse and ZX for streams... It's just so hard for me to switch from the mouse. Anyone got anything that can help me?
Then don't switch and never look back
kriers
If you want to learn how to tap with kb, I suggest you disable clicks and fail until you don't fail.

kanye west wrote:

Or even better, this ^

Many players play your current play style. Why shouldn't you just keep doing that?
Mythras
If you wanna switch just practice till you're better at it, you can improve at anything in osu with enough effort.

I switched to KB and thought it was more fun, then went the whole 9 yards and bought the tablet etc, now I love osu and play it all the time. Doesn't hurt to try stuff out, play how you want to.
Topic Starter
iCarnage
@those, I just can't perform as well as I could with clicking, I know practice makes perfect, but it's not as fun. I guess Kanye is right, I should just go back to mouse? lol idk.
Soly
Jaay-
I was the same way like you about a month ago, you gotta just start playing bit by bit and one day you'll say to yourself, fuck it full keyboard now, I played for about 3-4 months mouse and z/x streams, it will come, just start playing a bit each day
Tsukasa
It all depends on the your "feel"

It all really depends if you are more comfortable with mouse clicks or KB tapping
Frizz

[Tsukasa] wrote:

It all depends on the your "feel"

It all really depends if you are more comfortable with mouse clicks or KB tapping
Personal preferences
-Athena-

kriers wrote:

If you want to learn how to tap with kb, I suggest you disable clicks and fail until you don't fail.

kanye west wrote:

Or even better, this ^

Many players play your current play style. Why shouldn't you just keep doing that?
Every thing I want to say has been said.
Sync

Soly wrote:

It's very useful to learn z/x, I'd probably pick it up...best way to learn z/x (for me was) to alternate everything at first, this means switching fingers on every beat. After that you can move to 1 finger practice, then onto double time maps with lots of triplets. By this time since you alternated for so long you should have slow streams sorted out, keep practicing DT with 1 finger and triplets and you'll be doing fast streams pretty soon.
if you're going to learn to alternate don't even bother with single tapping

being able to alternate > being able to single tap quickly
Aqo
My suggestion to this: as somebody who normally plays tablet+kb and wanted to learn mouse-only in the last two weeks, I think what you should do is, play a lot of maps that were the hardest maps you could do with your usual playstyle (mouse-only) with the new style you want to learn (mouse+kb) with NoFail activated (add SpunOut if you don't want to hurt your stats) and just aim to have maximum accuracy on your runs. Even if it feels impossible, try to do your best for every single note. NoFail is key here. Just play a map fully with the new style, then move on to another map, don't retry the last one, and after you've been over like 30-50 maps start re-playing ones you played earlier and see your improvement in accuracy rating over previous runs. Ignore max combo completely, only pay attention to accuracy.

In 5-6 hours you should start feeling comfortable with the new style, and in just over a week you'll be equally good with it to your old style. At least this worked for me. Good luck!

On a side note, you don't need a keyboard to get better. You can stream perfectly well with mouse-only style, you just need a good mouse. I recently bought an A4Tech mouse to replace my logitech one and just doing this increased my maximum mouse-only streaming speed by like 50% (tested it). If you ARE going to play with keyboard, having a mechanical one can help, but it probably won't make any real difference up to 220-240~bpm maps.
koromo

Aqo wrote:

add SpunOut if you don't want to hurt your stats
Spun out is now ranked with a multiplier of x0.9 after the recent updates.

On topic: It took me quite a while to get used to keyboard at first, it just felt wrong to use my keyboard, but after a couple of days it started to feel more natural. You'll be just as good or even better before you realize it. I know my story is quite lackluster and uninteresting, but what I'm saying is: If you want to get good at it, just practice, you'll eventually improve.

Sync wrote:

being able to alternate > being able to single tap quickly
This is very true. However, it'll take more time to get good at alternating, but it's definitely worth it. It won't only help you with slow streams, it'll also be easier to do DT, and I think alternating is a must for maps like YuYu Metal (really high bpm). It is a must for me, at least (I'm a very slow single tapper, so I'm not sure if it's like this for everyone).
Aqo
Oh yeah, just updated my Osu.
Theoretically I would've agreed with the change to Spunout... but I kinda don't? This really does the game no good. People who want to play unranked or practice maps will just do it through Edit mode instead of Spunout now... or copy over a map and make a non-ranked copy of it and play on that... or just play offline, doh. So essentially there will still be people who hide their play count, and the only difference is that you can't spec them practice maps now. Again, I'd agree with this change in theory because you'd think it makes sense - except it doesn't really solve the problem it's supposed to solve, and it just raises new problems with its oncoming. Meh.

This is the wrong thread from this rant. eh
kriers
I don't remember since when statistics actually mattered. Focus on pp. Thanks.
friendok53

kriers wrote:

says the accuracy whore
G0r
My personal take on this is that you are best to keep doing the style that you are doing now. My reason for believing this is that every style has its difficulties. I started out playing click/x, and then wanted to do z/x for streams, but I stayed with click/x, and before long I no longer had the stream problems that I had, because I overcame my difficulties with practice. Now I have problems with BPMs over 200, and I often feel like my input method makes it harder, because I can only alternate sometimes right now. I'm waiting now to naturally adapt to deal with the issue. I didn't actually practice a whole lot to get better at alternating. I just naturally started doing it sometimes to get past some fast parts of songs. I expect that eventually I'll be able to do what I need to beat all of the fast parts that trip me up now. It's all a matter of time.

If you feel upset with your input method, then just think about the pro players who use other methods than you and just how much work they put into the game and how few people are truly at the top level. No method is easy. A click/x player might have a hard time on oddly separated stream circles or fast jumps, and a keyboard player might have a hard time with long jumps or fast streams, but they will have a hard time with something. Try to focus on what your strengths are, so you can recognize what comes easy to you with your style. I know I stream well at almost any BPM, and that is because I think my method lets me put the strain on both hands, rather than one hand like it would be for a keyboard player.

That's my take on it.
sCam
I started alternating every note since a week into Osu with the z/x keys, but it didn't feel comfortable for me, so i switched over to alt with the open and closed brackets keys, and my tap speed increased just because of how comfy i was with it, then i switched to t/y because of more comfortability and more faster.

What I'm saying is you don't have to choose z/x try whats comfy for you, and don't think you'll master it right away, it takes like 2 days to get used to, and sometimes you get confused(kinda like why you use 1 foot to drive because you can get confused and hit gas instead of brake)

I still haven't mastered it, because my accuracy is shit with it, but maybe because i just play insanes since within a month of my time playing osu.

Just keep playing with it, you'll get the hang of it, and it's fun.
Xau_old
use only mouse in everything :(
thelewa

friendok53 wrote:

kriers wrote:

says the accuracy whore
Since when did you start being so mean

It's not funny

also kriers is not an accuracy whore, he's just innately good at accuracy
Mukku
I played mouse only 'till like rank 800. Switched to x/z and remained that way forevers. It did take some practice.
Yakuyan
All I could say is keep playing just keyboard and mouse. (Switched last week and now I can play better than when I played with my mouse :D)
Fabi
Play a few weeks with Z/X and if you don't feel like you are improving, then go back to mouse click :p
shen2001
i used to play mouse only but then i switched to keyboard z/x and mouse and for me I think its helped me a lot in terms of my speed in faster maps.
Espionage724

XxYujixX wrote:

I just can't perform as well... I know practice makes perfect, but it's not as fun...
I know that feeling :/