forum

A 10k plays self-challenge or a Story Of No Improvement.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Big Dipper
I doubt that anybody would do such a thing in a sane state, but oh well.
This thread is about a challenge I've put for myself, thanks to all the "Practice makes perfect" talk on the chat.
Objective: Get 10950 or more actual plays (as in progressing 'till the very end) on this map (Heavy diff) without scoring a rank above A or accuracy above 95% without using NF, HT or Easy mods.
Why that map? Just because. I actually asked some guy to /np me an Insane that I would do over and over and ove~
Point: Proving that practice doesn't always help, even if you practice daily.
I play this map at least 30 times a day, which may vary slightly.
As for now I'm about in 2/3 of this (2nd) day's quota.
The only mod I use is NoFail (advice by Otaku-ni,, dunno, how that would help).
This thread is mainly for tracking progress and I wouldn't really mind if it was moved to somewhere else, but with notification please. As for now, thanks for the reading!
MMzz
Are you retarded?
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

MMzz wrote:

Are you retarded?
Most likely.
Dasiel_old
I hope you die in the process.
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

Dasiel wrote:

I hope you die in the process.
Thanks for your support!
ychao
Get a life, I'm saying this for both our sakes.
Mukku
You should play other maps
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

Mukku wrote:

You should play other maps
Yes, I am going to play other maps as well, this is just as a small test. Not only for my stupidness, but also for endurance.

ychao24 wrote:

Get a life, I'm saying this for both our sakes.
Life? I had none, have none, I will have none.
Nyu_old2
Do you honestly thing playing a map 10,000 times will turn you pro? You have to be joking. You wont learn anything other than how to fl the map. No reading skills or jump skills. Just straight memorization. Have fun :/
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

Nyu wrote:

Do you honestly thing playing a map 10,000 times will turn you pro? You have to be joking. You wont learn anything other than how to fl the map. No reading skills or jump skills. Just straight memorization. Have fun :/
Well, duuuuuh, "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"
Tanzklaue

commupony wrote:

Nyu wrote:

Well, duuuuuh, "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT"
uhm, it does. after playing masterpiece alot, I actually could handle it until the squares.
TuckingFypo
When people say practice makes perfect, they mean that when you practice that you have to aim to play better when practicing, not just playing a single map for some points or achievements.

This is the kind of approach you'd take if you'd want to H+FL a map, and still at least they have more thought behind it than this 10k challenge thing. Also, why such a random number?
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

TuckingFypo wrote:

When people say practice makes perfect, they mean that when you practice that you have to aim to play better when practicing, not just playing a single map for some points or achievements.

This is the kind of approach you'd take if you'd want to H+FL a map, and still at least they have more thought behind it than this 10k challenge thing. Also, why such a random number?
30*365 = 10950
Well, this map has a short stream, quite a ton of jumps... What else would I need? Idk, throw in some more hard-ass insanes and I'll spread the 30 plays between them.
Flanster
this isnt a hard map, go for Approved ones.
Michi

Nyu wrote:

That is correct.

D:
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

Michi wrote:

Nyu wrote:

That is correct.

D:
I don't care. People tell practice, I do practice. No matter what way I do it, it won't help.

Lolicore Flandre wrote:

this isnt a hard map, go for Approved ones.
For me it is and it's way beyond my dreams or wishes of completion.
Nyu_old2
One does not simply go pro in 4 months lol.
Topic Starter
Big Dipper

Nyu wrote:

Eh, many 4 month players I've seen are better.
Sorun
I'm actually interested in seeing the results of this test of yours OP keep up the work.
G0r
You seem to be taking this seriously, so I'll give you a serious response, although I had a really hard time understanding your post, so I'll have to go with what I can gather about what you are doing, and hope I've got it right.

It sounds like you want to practice playing one map 2000 times to get better at playing Osu!. If this is correct, then I think that your concept is good, but your execution is very flawed. The concept of practicing as many times as you can afford to will certainly succeed in granting you more skill, but anyone can practice and not become good at something simply because they are practicing it the wrong way. You CANNOT expect your skills to improve from becoming slowly better at what you are required to do to beat a single map. Becoming good at Osu!, like anything else in life, is a process of broad gains in many small skills to finally add up to one perfect play style. Therefore, you need to expose yourself to as many different kinds of maps as possible to become more acquainted with the ways that the game can work and to learn how to deal with the tricks that it throws at you. It is the kind of intimate acquaintance that leads to skill. If you rely on only one map, then you will learn only what you need to learn to muddle through it, or even eventually what you need to ace it, but your skill growth will be very slow and your overall set of learned skills will be minimal and not well applicable to other maps.

In short, I've been practicing this game for about nine months now, and I started out trying to play on a small set of maps, but eventually had to move to trying more and more of them because I just wasn't getting anywhere by trying to brute force my way through ten maps, or so. I can tell you from experience that you WILL play better given time, a good eye for what your weaknesses are, and interest in continuing to perfect your skills. Do it for the fun of doing it. Don't make it a job. Lastly, don't be afraid to branch out and try new things.
thelewa
Practice makes perfect, but practicing a single map won't help you at all. You need to play lots of maps, which will increase your skills by huge amounts. Playing a single map will only teach you how to play that single map, and it will be slower than just playing a lot of maps.

This goes to everyone: Just play a lot of maps, don't grind some super hard map hoping that you will SOMEHOW get better at it. Rankwhoring is the best way to increase one's own skill, especially if you're rankwhoring on insanes. And if you're using mods.
G0r

thelewa wrote:

Rankwhoring is the best way to increase one's own skill, especially if you're rankwhoring on insanes. And if you're using mods.
This is exactly how I began to make leaps and bounds in my skill. I decided that I was going to try to FC as many insanes as I could as fast as I could. It gave me a lot of maps to work with over time, and at a certain point I started realizing that I was playing well enough that I was getting really nice ranks on the maps that I was playing, and I wanted to try to go back and see if I could do better than just FCing the maps I had. Basically I just started setting higher and higher goals for myself, and I am still doing this. I have a lot of maps that I haven't even played yet to keep me busy, but I regularly go back and see if I can get my score even higher on maps that I already met a previous goal on.

Anyway, I just wanted quote this for truth, because I personally never see farming, or rankwhoring, as Lewa calls it to be a bad thing. It's just one way to set a goal, and it eventually leads to more, if you're that invested that you want to take it further.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, by investing in trying to balance gaining regular Rank points along with gaining Performance points I find that I get a pretty even intake of new maps for Rank points vs. good practice on older maps that I want to improve scores on for Performance points.
Defacer
­
GladiOol
so much walls of text

just play a lot of different maps and you'll get better over time. it works like this in every game...
dNextGen
i've been here for 2 years now \o/

but i still cant do map like rog unlimitation/snow goose,because fuck streams

also playing to get better is seriously depressing,dont overdo it
Kanye West
You don't even need 10k plays to FL a map. My most played is 130 some and I can almost FC it with FL.
lolcubes
If you're struggling to pass the map, then headbashing on it won't help you much, it just means you probably aren't ready yet and it's best to cover as much things as possible at that point, playing various maps.

Grinding becomes ok when you aim to SS a map and you're constantly getting a very few amount of 100s and keeping very high (99%+) accuracy, in all other cases it probably doesn't help you at all (unless you grind streams and you know you lack stamina, it's a good way to stop lacking that stamina).

Also what you should be expecting is that you won't even notice you got better, it will just happen on it's own through experience. Just do what is most fun to you and you will be sure to succeed.

kanye west wrote:

You don't even need 10k plays to FL a map. My most played is 130 some and I can almost FC it with FL.
Everyone is different, I have played many maps quite much more than 130 times and I can't even get 40 combo with FL.
Nyu_old2

commupony wrote:

Nyu wrote:

Eh, many 4 month players I've seen are better.
That's because you rarely play it looks like. Your play count is in the 2000's. I joined Dec 31st and my play count is 15,000. Same with other people I know that joined around when I did.
sCam

Nyu wrote:

That's because you rarely play it looks like. Your play count is in the 2000's. I joined Dec 31st and my play count is 15,000. Same with other people I know that joined around when I did.
hey you joined around the same time as me, damn you more better than me ._.
Mismagius

kanye west wrote:

and still no FL FC

and it's 400 combo
G0r

lolcubes wrote:

Also what you should be expecting is that you won't even notice you got better, it will just happen on it's own through experience. Just do what is most fun to you and you will be sure to succeed.
QFT
Mythras
Here's the most simple way to get better (pretty much what lewa said), pick a ton of maps you like, turn on spun out if you want, and try them a bit every day till you can FC, try them on DT, try them on HD, whatever.
SPOILER
fuck FL though

The most important thing imo is playing a lot, don't stop. Play at least every other day, the more the better (till your hands hurt, then stop)
Kanye West

Blue Dragon wrote:

kanye west wrote:

and still no FL FC

and it's 400 combo
Well that's because Chevron is a lot harder than Haru Haru in the first place, you have to take that into account too.