forum

Beatmap Submission System

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
That is almost a nice sounding acronym too - BSS. Anyways, I thought I'd take the time to clear this up a bit since the changelog messages won't mean much to the majority of you.

As you already know, the current method of beatmap submission is cumbersome. Updating the osu files requires a full reupload of the osz file and manual changes to the forum threads. Moderating is messy and beatmaps sometimes get left behind in the dark due to the sheer speed that you guys create new ones.

The new system I have been working on will be integrated into osu! itself. It will make the following possible:

1. File > Submit Beatmap from the osu! editor menu will automatically upload the osz and osu files.
  2. A forum post will automatically be created in "Beatmap Help" for WIPs, or "Completed Beatmaps". A template will be added to the top of the topic with details about the beatmap/song, and links to download both the osz file and each individual osu.
  3. A form will allow the user to add a customised message and change the automatically generated post subject.
  4. Updated osu files will be updated for already existing beatmaps, with the option of automatically updating the osz file without a reupload. Forum post/template will be updated and the user will have the option of bumping the thread to the top of the appropriate forum.
  5. All beatmaps that are submitted will be added to the Beatmap Listing database under the "Pending" category. Even if your beatmap is not ranked, you will now have the chance to see it included in the database, along with some basic stats.
  6. In the future, this will allow more integration with the song selection screen, including more accurate and streamlined automatic updates of beatmap files - even when they are not officially approved.
  7. This will solve the issue of uploads currently being insecure as anyone can overwrite the osz files without permissions. A ticketing system is in place to ensure this will not happen.
Everything mentioned above has been completed in the code. It still has to be tested, and the UI forms need a bit of tidying. You should see this on an osu! near you in the near future :D.

Reply with any questions or suggestions!
advancechao
Thanks for taking the time to make a topic about it. It sounds good!
It was kind of funny to have to upload the same song a million times to the uploader to update it :D
Topic Starter
peppy
Just a few notes on the status of this system...

It should work as mentioned above. There are a few things to note:

1. If you are resubmitting a beatmap which is already in the completed/help folder, make sure you force the osz upload the first time.
  2. If you wish to move a beatmap from WIP to Completed, ask a mod.
  3. If you have any questions about how this thing works, ask in here.
LolaLeon12
Im a beginner at submitting.....how do you submit new beatmaps? o.o And how do you create multiple difficulties of one song?
Claudia_old

LolaLeon12 wrote:

Im a beginner at submitting.....how do you submit new beatmaps? o.o And how do you create multiple difficulties of one song?
you're joking right, the instructions are in the thread.

as far as making multiple difficulties, no idea, i'm not a mapper.
James2250

LolaLeon12 wrote:

Odd place to post but ok....

File - Upload beatmap will submit your beatmap to the site (don't forget to read this before you submit anything)

You create multiple difficulties by going on file and click save as new difficulty
Sakura
Nice way to necropost

LolaLeon12 wrote:

check this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39317 particularly Part 5
ffure21
i need help :cry: 'cause i created a new beatmap and the problem is i can't submit. Well, i can but i can't sign in in the game and it keeps saying "connection fail" or probably because my computer is slow. i really need to update it or else it might end up in the graveyard! is there any other way?
Gens
First of all, don't necropost.

Post in this thread instead.

I guess it's safer to lock this topic to prevent any more necros.