forum

[resolved] [Editor] Corrupted Map causing Freeze and Crash

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Danimineiro
Problem details: I was working on a map, when the game started to lag. Out of habit I used ctrl + s though osu crashed a few seconds afterwards, while trying to adjust a slider.
Having the map in my 'songs' folder (under appdata) now causes my game to freeze and eventually crash after hitting 'play' or 'edit' in the mainmenu. I have observed osu!'s memory usage going beyond 1.1GB in the task manager.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Here is the Beatmap Folder of the map I've been working on. I'd be extremly thankful if I could continue mapping on this.

osu! version: Stable 20181118.3 (latest)
Dntm8kmeeatu
Moving the map out of your folder causes the game to work properly yea?

If you can remember where about the note was in the song, you can try opening the .osu file in notepad (save and backup the file first) and check for a object that might seem out of place, or may be the one. (sliders will have more data in a line, the longer the slider and anchor points, the longer the entry in the .osu file will be) If you think you have found it, delete that object and save. Then try to open the map.

It might be hard to navigate if you've never looked at a .osu file, and if you don't know where the note is. If it so happened to be one of the last notes you were working on, removing the last couple objects might be an easy bet.

Another way to maybe do it is to move the broken map out of your folder so your game doesn't crash. drag the same .mp3 into the editor and save as a new beatmap, then copy the .osu of your broken map into the new folder and replace the new .osu you just generated. Only copy the first bit of metadata and timing points, and maybe a few of the hitobjects. After that you can slowly copy more and more chunks into the new .osu until things start to break again, after that you now know the general area that is busted, and can either narrow it down, or copy everything after, and remap the missing section.
Just remember to save every time and that the map actually updates when you do (you will likely have to edit it while the map or osu! is not open)

After typing all this I forgot you uploaded the files, I gave them a quick check but didn't notice anything really out of the ordinary. A big slider or two about in the middle but nothing that screams "I'm broke".

If there are other easier ways to fix the issue exist I've completely forgotten them.
Good luck, keep us updated.
Death
Try removing line 1167 from the .osu file for your map and then saving. That seems to be the slider that is causing issues. No clue how you managed to get a point at 58364300, 891379328.
Topic Starter
Danimineiro
Okay Death's suggestion saved me, thank you! After deleting it I could open my map again. The Slider which broke the map was one I'd been working on right before it died.
I made an .01 Slider velocity adjustment to make it line up with another object and while trying to line it up it started lagging, while the slider showed some weird behavior.
I have no idea how I would reproduce this.