forum

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Quaraezha

Holy. Fucking. Shit.
It's basically Super Smash Bros., but with PlayStation Characters.

Here are the revealed characters so far:
Kratos (God of War)
Colonel Radec (Killzone)
Fat Princess
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Sly Cooper
PaRappa (PaRappa the Rappa)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Cole MacGrath (Infamous)
Jak and Daxter

And here are the stages so far:
Metropolis (Ratchet & Clank + God of War)
Sandover Village (Jak & Daxter + Hot Shots Golf)
Dreamscape (LittleBigPlanet + Buzz!)
Hades (God of War + Patapon)
Dojo (PaRappa the Rapper + Killzone)

Here's a bunch of Gameplay Footage from IGN:

A lot of butthurt going on with the Gaming Community about how it's a Smash Bros Rip-Off
I personally don't really mind, almost a lot of games are rip-offs of other games anyway
Rantai
Give me some jrpg characters and I'm sold.

inb4 weeaboo
Topic Starter
Quaraezha
Here's a review by Jeremy Jahns, a reviewer that I really like

Azure_Kite
awp
I remember this leaking a few months back

god it looks and sounds so much like Smash Bros
Ivalset
I hope Nariko owns.
Topic Starter
Quaraezha
This

and this

awp
Those two are almost guaranteed, unless copyrights have been shuffled around
Gabi

Rantai wrote:

Give me some jrpg characters and I'm sold.

inb4 weeaboo
Put in the characters from FF, oh boy.....

I wonder if these are the same people that did the SSB series because it looks like the same game with different chars...
Topic Starter
Quaraezha

awp wrote:

unless copyrights have been shuffled around
I sure hope not

Gabi wrote:

I wonder if these are the same people that did the SSB series because it looks like the same game with different chars...
Gabi
Well i meant more like if any of the people who worked on SSB went over to this one :P
Mianki

Gabi wrote:

Well i meant more like if any of the people who worked on SSB went over to this one :P
Nope.

Gotta admit Crash and Spyro would be pretty badass.
Vish024
If it's got Jak, I'll probably buy the PS3 itself just for this game.
Dafydd
Sweet tooth.. is thar!!??
and Parappa the rapper?
Shellghost
My feelings are conflicted about this.

I like it and it's really cool and all, but it feels like it's an idea that's 5-10 years too late so now to me it feels like when a franchise tries to turn something into a FPS to try to cash in on the mainstream market.
-Athena-
Another force pulling me to the dark side
Must resist urge to buy PS3!!!
Vish024

Shellghost wrote:

when a franchise tries to turn something into a FPS to try to cash in on the mainstream market.
You can't blame 'em, they know they'll make a killing.

Just found my PS2 a few hours ago, I sold most of the games but still have some of the classics like Crash, Spyro and Jak. Miss those days when developers would put some real effort into such games and not simply target the multiplayer mode.
Topic Starter
Quaraezha

LaVolpe024 wrote:

If it's got Jak, I'll probably buy the PS3 itself just for this game.
Well it did have Jak & Daxter and Rachet and Clank Maps. So I'm sure they'll be playable characters as well.

Alright so I was browsing a few videos a while ago and I remembered that PlayStation made this commercial months ago
It was basically a bunch of Cosplaying video game characters gathered into one pub talking about how awesome their gamers are

It is technically a PlayStation commercial, so it's prooobably possible that most or some characters here have a spot in the Battle Royale.
Here are a few characters from the commercial:
SPOILER
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Lightning (FFXIII)
Cole McGrath (Infamous)
That nameless kid in Limbo (Probably just a map or whatever)
Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
Agent 47 (Hitman)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear)
Chell (Portal)
Tekken Characters
Some FPS War games (I hope not)
Bioshock
Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
and a few others I don't recognize.
bomber34
I am surprised that Sony waited so long for a SSB rip-off. I personally don't mind rip-offs, because i never bought them in case they were on the same system like the original.
My only problem is that i think the name is stupid ^-^
Before SSBB i would say that Snake should be in the game but who knows. Maybe he is in SSBU and SonySSB.
RemmyX25
id say solid snake would have to be there, but then i remembered --

Nintendo did it.
Ekaru
I would be much more eager for this if they were using SSB's KO system, believe it or not. What hooks me and all the people I know into SSB isn't really the Nintendo characters but actually the awesome, fun, and unique battle system.

Yes, I'm saying that I wish it ripped off of SSB more. Sue me. There's a good chance I'll wind up giving this game a shot anyways, but so far I am not liking the concept of being able to KO only through special attacks. I don't want to be screwed if I miss with my only move that can KO that has to be charged up just to use it. I guess I'll just wait for more footage.
Luzcyfer

RemmyX25 wrote:

id say solid snake would have to be there, but then i remembered --

Nintendo did it.
Nope, snake is in doubt for the next smash, he must migrate to this one.

ON: And the people of sony and fanboys gets pissed-off when the're called "copy" or "clony", i remember when i heard before the rumor and i said no matter what this game will be like a copy more likely of smash or the vs saga of capcom.

Sadly even if one person gave the benefit of the doubt about sony not copying in some level, they wipe their A&()&(%off with hopes of something new, the last part is when the demo is released; actually is the last defense for fans for not to be pretty much raped with critics because in the video is the same good ideas that brawl has (even the camera angles and the colours on the players indicators).

BTW, fat princess = peach.

For sony a good game is just about graphics and blood..... so a smash with blood in hd = the best game ever made(?).
Not even the tmnt smash-up is copy from smash (and it was made by hal laboratories). Ironic and hugely dissapointing in a bussines where creativity is crittical but a good game if is like smash.

PD: sony won't revive older glories because the're too childish for them so crash and spyro or klonoa hardly be there.
Topic Starter
Quaraezha

Luzcyfer wrote:

PD: sony won't revive older glories because the're too childish for them so crash and spyro or klonoa hardly be there.
But they revived Parappa the Rappa, that's something childish and older glory.
Luzcyfer

Quaraezha wrote:

Luzcyfer wrote:

But they revived Parappa the Rappa, that's something childish and older glory.
And there's no crash neither spyro from the start, i just have a bad feeling about that; Parappa the Rappa can be used the same way than pit in brawl.

I think sony preffers a few old glory than a lot as a difference from smash where almost every character is an old glory.

In a couple months we will know. klonoa plz.....
adam2046
I'm pretty sure Sony don't own any rights to Crash and Spyro and they're no longer considered Playstation characters.
Shellghost
Sack boy.
Topic Starter
Quaraezha
What about these two guys?
"The Sony Cat" or whatever

awp
Yuri from Shadow Hearts would be a good fit, that just occurred to me yesterday

there's your token JRPG character
NoHitter
What about Kingdom Hearts characters like Sora/Roxas/Riku?
Sure they've appeared in other companies' consoles, but the main games were on the PS2.
Mukku
I want Flint from Alundra 2
Dieathan
Noire from Hyperdimension Neptunia
It seems unlikely but it would be good for laughs.
Doodley
I have a feeling Crash Bandicoot will get in somehow.

I don't think Spyro will get in, considering he's still part of a profitable series and they'll have to pry that from Activision's claws, but the last Crash Bandicoot game was something like 3, 4 years ago. They could probably get the rights to the character at least. He's a pretty big part of Sony history, more or less shaping the PS1's success along with Spyro and Final Fantasy.

And of course, Naughty Dog is still with Sony, so.

Hell, who knows. Remember how Fire Emblem was released in the US because Marth was in SSBM? Same thing for Crash. Naughty Dog buys the rights back. You never know what could happen.
Topic Starter
Quaraezha
E3 Trailer!
Have a CG Trailer, also revealing new characters!

Nathan Drake from Uncharted
and Big Daddy from Bioshock
Drakari_old
I had assumed they would be using characters from PlayStation exclusive titles until Big Daddy... But now it looks like they can use anything that isn't exclusive to something else.

Regardless, I don't mind it being a ripoff (Though you really can't say it's not based on current footage) but it's a bunch of characters I don't like from games I've never played. Currently not interested, but if more characters are announced and it comes out before the next SSB is even close then I'll consider it.
Behon

Drakari wrote:

Currently not interested, but if more characters are announced and it comes out before the next SSB is even close then I'll consider it.
SSB wasn't even mentioned at E3 this year, sooooo...
Luzcyfer

Behonkiss wrote:

Drakari wrote:

Currently not interested, but if more characters are announced and it comes out before the next SSB is even close then I'll consider it.
SSB wasn't even mentioned at E3 this year, sooooo...
I think sakurai is doing the proyect pretty much alone and are two smash games besides it just started, so smash in screenshots will be in 1-2 more years if nintendo don't troll (but they love troll).

ON: I think the same as i read before; final fantasy chars are perfect and mandatory since is ps3 signature (and most powerful and known) franchise, if they not; my theory about sony losing it all will be empowered and KH3 if exist will be in wii u.

Roxas and Sora fit really well here alonside fat peach.
Mashley
It will only be good if they get valve characters.
Topic Starter
Quaraezha
inb4 PC All-Stars Battle Royale
Azure_Kite
Featuring master chief and commanders!
Topic Starter
Quaraezha
Sorry for the delay, but 4 more characters are revealed recently.

Heihachi Mishima from Tekken

Toro Inoue from PlayStation (Mascot)

Cole MacGrath from inFAMOUS

JAK AND DAXTER
Vish024

Quaraezha wrote:

JAK AND DAXTER
I'm sexually aroused by this. Too bad I don't have a PS3.
awp
http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-playst ... 2161.phtml

bunch of leaked stuff, including characters, stages, items and gameplay modes
awp
Played this earlier today @FanExpo. Definitely has a Smash Bros feel to it, and the control scheme was relatively intuitive. I'm used to a big colourful circle appearing over your character when you block, which this game doesn't do, so there's a tiny bit of adjustment necessary. Otherwise, the only major difference is that there are three attack buttons (Square, Triangle, Circle) that are each direction-sensitive and airborne-sensitive rather than Smash Bros' A button being likewise and B button being special moves

Parappa feels a bit clunky/weird and his moves are all short range so some characters like Kratos have an advantage over that until you get used to evasion

p.s. Up does NOT jump. Yay.