forum

[resolved] Playing Osu at 1920x1080 on a 3440x1440 monitor

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Exclesa
Is there a way to play Osu at 1920x1080 on a 3440x1440 monitor fullscreen?

I can switch to 1920x1080 and enable letterboxing, but it does NOT scale the screen to the top and bottom of my monitor, instead it's just a little window at *fullscreen* with black on all sides.

What i want is just black bars on the right and left but for the window to stretch to the tops and bottoms.

Here's how it looks.

Notice how it's just a small screen surrounded by Black, i wanna know if theres a way to have the screen bigger so it's just black on both sides and not on the top and bottom.
Death
Stretching your screen like that would just be nearly the same as choosing an "X by 1440" resolution. Why don't you try doing that?

It's not possible to stretch your aspect ratio like that while keeping it at the same resolution.
Topic Starter
Exclesa

Death wrote:

Stretching your screen like that would just be nearly the same as choosing an "X by 1440" resolution. Why don't you try doing that?

It's not possible to stretch your aspect ratio like that while keeping it at the same resolution.

That's not exactly what i meant. I don't mean to "streth" the window all the way to the sides. Other games that do not support Ultrawide when set to 1920x1080, scale the window to max the screen with black bars on the side. This game for some reason, does not, and puts it on it's "Actual" size compared to your native resolution, i.e a tiny window instead of a enlarged window while retaining the original Aspect Ratio.

I do play at 3440x1440 and it works wonderfully, the only thing that bothers me is the skins. I know gameplay matters most, but some skins on 3440x1440 resolution are messy on the Song Selection screen.
Death
It puts it on "its actual size" because of letterboxing. If you disable that, the game will stretch, but it's not possible to only stretch the top and bottom. If you disable that, I assume it would look a little weird, but it might be closer to what you want.

I understand what you want and it is possible to achieve that effect, but you'll need to change your resolution while keeping letterboxing on. There isn't really any other way to do it. You can set a custom resolution to be 1920x1440 for example and it will just have black lines on the side. Depending on the skin you are using, doing that might work well.

To do that, make sure you have letterboxing and fullscreen enabled and close the game. Navigate to your osu! folder and edit the file "osu.pcname.cfg" in any text editor. Set the HeightFullscreen and WidthFullscreen lines to be whatever you want, save and close the file, then reopen the game. Or if you don't want to have fullscreen enabled, just set the Width and Height lines to be whatever you want.

My display is 1920x1080, but here is what it looks like when I set my resolution to 1600x1080 with letterboxing enabled:
Topic Starter
Exclesa
That seems to be the solution but...i set it to 1920x1440 and it became 4:3 instead of 16:9.

Heres what the settings are set to in the Config file.

Height = 1440
Width = 3440
HeightFullscreen = 1440
CustomFrameLimit = 240
WidthFullscreen = 1920
Death
I just used 1920x1440 as an example, that is indeed 4:3.

I believe 2560×1440 is what you actually want.
Topic Starter
Exclesa
Absolutely Perfect!

Thanks so much <3

show more