forum

Is there a reason why playing w/ tablet is much easier than w/ mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
A Fancy Duck
So, basically, I just gained an amount of pp that I haven't gotten in quite some time (lol). I'm not sure if it's just me, but I feel that playing with a tablet is much more comfortable than playing with mouse or trackpad (yea I used to play with trackpads go ahead and flame me). If someone could explain to me why it's much easier, please tell me, as this is for my scientific analogy and also a way to get my friends into playing with tablet as well. Of course, if you would care to disagree or bring up other points, please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to read this! lol

p.s. I still play with trackpad on the same sens as my friend's tablet (thank you StupidZ for letting me borrow it for a lil bit), it's similar to playing with a tablet (if you're not scared of absolutely destroying it). I recommend you try it out, it's quite fun!
KupcaH
Topic Starter
A Fancy Duck

KupcaH wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/509704&start=0

didn’t realise this existed lol. Thanks!
im flat
absolute positioning
TomDaGamer
There is no objective "best way to play osu!" It's all your preference and how you perform with it,i have never touched a tablet,and would probably do badly on it.
N0thingSpecial

TomDaGamer wrote:

There is no objective "best way to play osu!" It's all your preference and how you perform with it,i have never touched a tablet,and would probably do badly on it.
yea but if human factor is removed, absolute positioning and our fimilarity with holding a pen is just main reason a lot of people use tablet.

I’m a mouse player myself but I wouldn’t rule out that if I put the same amount effort in tablet as in mouse I would get better results
MisakiSakaki
It depends on how you feel when you use certain peripherals.
It's not a matter of a reason, it's more of attention and the tolerance you have with the peripheral.
as in everything, if you play with x you will end up improving with x.
TomDaGamer

N0thingSpecial wrote:

TomDaGamer wrote:

yea but if human factor is removed, absolute positioning and our fimilarity with holding a pen is just main reason a lot of people use tablet.

I’m a mouse player myself but I wouldn’t rule out that if I put the same amount effort in tablet as in mouse I would get better results

Sure,if i learned to use a tablet,id definetly perform better,since it's easier to aim,but you can still perform good with a mouse,and the human factor IS there,you cant just remove it.
Almost

TomDaGamer wrote:

That's not entirely true. There are 2 fundamental reasons (that I know of) why tablet is just superior to mouse. First, mouse sensors are full of errors. Even if you purchased the mouse with the most accurate sensor to-date, you still won't come close to the error-free absolute positioning of a tablet. The thread that was linked earlier gave an explanation of this.

Second, because of the errors in a mouse, you have to constantly re-position your mouse during play or you'll experience drift in your mouse location. Mouse players have to constantly battle this. It's not as noticeable on higher DPIs but higher DPIs are also worse for aim (a discussion for another topic).

Just to be clear though, it is definitely possible to get good with inferior equipment but you're really just applying an unnecessary handicap on yourself. Preferences come to light in other areas but not here.
dung eater
Mice are more accurate (mousepads are huge compared to tablets, friction and more mass makes small movements more precise), more responsive and smooth (much higher position update frequency and less delay). Better for fps games and things that require more buttons. The buttons are also easy to press.

Tablet is better for constant fixed area (cursor in a box) movement where there's no breaks to reposition mouse and few buttons to press. Pen is lighter, you can tilt it to aim and there's useally very little friction making aiming fast easier.

Most mousedrift is caused by player and it can be negated by keeping mouse angle more consistent. Maps that used to be hard because of drift will have close to none with more practice.
UnnamedBeast
besides, most tablet players that think " yea this is too easy lets farm dt forever" usually quit at 5k when they see that they can't progress any further due to a complete lack of finger control while mouse players are probably steamrolling over those
TomDaGamer

Almost wrote:

TomDaGamer wrote:

That's not entirely true. There are 2 fundamental reasons (that I know of) why tablet is just superior to mouse. First, mouse sensors are full of errors. Even if you purchased the mouse with the most accurate sensor to-date, you still won't come close to the error-free absolute positioning of a tablet. The thread that was linked earlier gave an explanation of this.

Second, because of the errors in a mouse, you have to constantly re-position your mouse during play or you'll experience drift in your mouse location. Mouse players have to constantly battle this. It's not as noticeable on higher DPIs but higher DPIs are also worse for aim (a discussion for another topic).

Just to be clear though, it is definitely possible to get good with inferior equipment but you're really just applying an unnecessary handicap on yourself. Preferences come to light in other areas but not here.

I'll have to agree,haven't had the chance to test out the Steelseries "mechanical" mouse they released,and i have no clue how the sensor is,and i would definetly be more precise with a tablet if i learned to use one,but i wont fully agree on the repositioning.If the map being played is designed nicely,your mouse will naturally come back to the middle,but it does happen that i have to pause the game to reposition my mouse,because holding it is much harder than holding a pen.
I'll also have to agree with jaaakb,once you improve your aim,you make less mistakes and less need for repositioning,it does happen,but not as often.
show more