forum

Lock New Combo Colours

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
theowest
Let's say I'm mapping a beatmap and I have a combo colour I want to make red. Now, I always want this combo colour to be red, but once you change any new combos earlier in the beatmap, the combo colour changes.

This is what I'm talking about. Being able to lock a combo colour, so that this new combo is one particular colour, and no other, until you change it again.

It's annoying, takes time to fix all combo colours and a lock wouldn't be too hard to implement. I swear, it happens to me in ALL the beatmaps I map. I once had to change all combo colours in a 4 minute beatmap, just because I changed ONE single new combo colour in the beginning.

I have never use the "lock notes", and I am extremely picky about making hitsounds (which can cause notes to move when dragging them).

Derekku wrote:

Here's an extreme example that isn't too uncommon: Say I have a marathon map, and I want a particular song to be 2-3 certain colors to fit with the theme. But now, I need to fix some combos earlier in the song; this will screw up the combo haxing at the end.

Same thing with collabs; parts usually aren't mapped in order, so color haxing gets messed up frequently.
I'd love to see some sort of lock on the new combo colours.
palinus
I approve of this
em24_old
It would be nice , yes.
mm201
I've never needed this and I am extremely picky about combo colours.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

I've never needed this and I am extremely picky about combo colours.
This clearly shows you haven't changed/removed any combo colour after placing them.
I once had to change all combo colours in a 4 minute beatmap, just because I changed ONE single new combo colour in the beginning.

I have never use the "lock notes", and I am extremely picky about making hitsounds (which can cause notes to move when dragging them).
Derekku
Here's an extreme example that isn't too uncommon: Say I have a marathon map, and I want a particular song to be 2-3 certain colors to fit with the theme. But now, I need to fix some combos earlier in the song; this will screw up the combo haxing at the end.

Same thing with collabs; parts usually aren't mapped in order, so color haxing gets messed up frequently.
Topic Starter
theowest

Derekku wrote:

I swear, it happens to me in ALL the beatmaps I map. :'((((
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
when you change a combo color, change the next combo back to its original color and the rest will be fixed

..?
peppy
To me this suggests combos are being placed wrong, but maybe I've flown to close to map standards heaven (aka stream).
Topic Starter
theowest

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

when you change a combo color, change the next combo back to its original color and the rest will be fixed

..?
Nope. You can't change back like that, if you changed a new combo colour to a specific colour, and you want that exact colour on that new combo, you're not going to change something back.
There are reasons to why you change new combos. Misplaced New combos, mods could tell you to change or whatever. When you do, you might ruin new combo colours for the ones in front.

peppy wrote:

To me this suggests combos are being placed wrong, but maybe I've flown to close to map standards heaven (aka stream).
Well yes, they are placed in the wrong final order. You wouldn't have to change anything if all the combo colours were in the final and perfect order. It could have been a collab where some parts are mapped before others or there might come up a mod and say that I have to remove a new combo, now if a have a beatmap which focuses on having specific combo colours on every new combo, I might have to change every single one in the front.

Example
Let's say Lanttu is mapping this beatmap.

In most of the map, the combo colours look something like this:

But during the kiai part, it looks something like this:

Now I asked her about this beatmap and she told me she had problems with the new combo colours. A lock would be the ultimate solution.

There are many maps like this.

However this is a very simple example, which could easily be fixed. But not all maps have 3 combo colours. The more, and the longer the map is the more time consuming and annoying it is.
mm201
jsyk, those colours are awful and blend in way too much to be rankable.
It shouldn't be time-consuming at all. Change the first kiai object's colour to what it should be and the colours of every other object will return to what they were before.

If you paid attention to which colours you use for which sections, this problem will never arise either, since when adding a combo, you would change the next combo to keep its previous colour. (what [CSGA]Ar3sgice is saying)
Pizzicato
combo colors are very important to me when playing val maps. makes me well aware of the combo changes.
i keep an eye on my hp bar.
i disapprove of this.
mm201
Oh you can be sure repeating colours will remain unrankable.
ziin
Just some fyi:

anyone who cares this much about their combo colours really needs to learn how to understand the .osu file format. While it may be against the "rules", it's a very easy fix.

Open the osu file
copy/paste into new notepad window
replace all commas with tabs
copy/paste into spreadsheet
insert a new column before the new combo indicator
provide an if-then statement to modify the combo colour to what it's supposed to be
copy/paste the column into notepad then back to remove the formula and delete the old combo data
copy/paste into notepad
replace all tabs with commas
copy/paste back into the osu file and save it

If you're having trouble with this, you're not thinking hard enough.

I've had no problems with my blythe map, which uses different combo colors based on the type of the note, and of course uses 2 identical colors as well.

mm201 wrote:

jsyk, those colours are awful and blend in way too much to be rankable.
jsyk, that map is already ranked, and it has storyboard bugs.
mm201
Ranked != rankable.
Lybydose
since pretty much no one here understands the problem, I'll explain it better:

I have a map where the combo colors go in this order: "Blue, Green, Red, Blue, Green, Red, etc"

However, I have a section at the end of the map during which the combo colors turn switch to "Grey, White, Grey, White"

I've got everything set up perfectly - it goes in the BGR order until the switch.

However, looking through the map again, I notice a problem at the very beginning of the map. Let's say I forgot to add a new combo on the "6" here:

Now the only way for me to fix this and keep the BGR order for the map is to manually switch every single new combo from this point until the end to the correct color.
Topic Starter
theowest
this feature request is simple to make things easier around making osu! beatmaps.
I find it more useful than the note lock.
mm201
No.
Assuming the internal order is BGRKW (K=grey).
All grey objects become white and all white objects become blue.
So you change the first grey object back to white, causing all greys to become white and all blues to become grey.
Problem solved.

Furthermore, in my universe, the colour of each combo is important, so if I found an issue like that, the object I'd correct would probably be the very next combo.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

No.
Assuming the internal order is BGRKW (K=grey).
All grey objects become white and all white objects become blue.
So you change the first grey object back to white, causing all greys to become white and all blues to become grey.
Problem solved.

Furthermore, in my universe, the colour of each combo is important, so if I found an issue like that, the object I'd correct would probably be the very next combo.
You're right. How silly of me. I guess there's no need for a lock then. 8-)
Lybydose
No, that doesn't work, because the "first grey object" is at the END OF THE MAP (or 95% or so). It fixes everything after it, but not the stuff in between the combo I changed the the "first grey object"
Topic Starter
theowest

Lybydose wrote:

No, that doesn't work, because the "first grey object" is at the END OF THE MAP (or 95% or so). It fixes everything after it, but not the stuff in between the combo I changed the the "first grey object"
Oh, I guess there is a need for a lock new combo colours then.

:cry:
mm201
What's wrong with all those things? They're just RGB right, or did I misunderstand your example?
Either way, only one object needs to be haxed each time the palette changes, which isn't too burdensome.

Edit: Oh I see your problem. It is indeed solved with my hitsounding methodology but not if you've been naively skipping grey/white each time they appear.
show more