abraker wrote:

While you plebs quite yourselves I remain pure
Achromalia

abraker wrote:

abraker wrote:

abraker wrote:

quote*

While you guys quote yourselves I correct your spelling.
ColdTooth

johnmedina999 wrote:

johnmedina999 wrote:

>quoting someone who quotes themself in 2018
abraker

Achromalia wrote:

abraker wrote:

abraker wrote:

abraker wrote:

quote*

While you guys quote yourselves I correct your spelling.

"quite" is an actual word bafoon
Quibbly
abraker is going around being a grammar nazi lately holy hell xD
Naimae
Despacito
/Des-pa-CI-to/
adverb

1. Slowly
    1. Vayamos despacito porque las rocas están resbalosas. - Let's go slowly because the rocks are slippery.
    2. La novia y su abuelo bailaron despacito un vals. - The bride and her grandfather slowly danced a waltz.
  2. Gently
    1. La madre acarició despacito la cabeza del bebé. - The mother gently stroked the baby's head.
  3. Softly
    1. Alguien me dijo despacito en el oído: "No te muevas". - Someone said softly in my ear: "Don't move."
  4. Quietly
    1. Metí la llave bien despacito en la cerradura, para que nadie oyera. - I put the key into the lock very quietly, so that no one would hear.

It's unclear how this particular song became a meme, but it's thought that has to do with the accessibility of the meme. Revered Meme Researcher citremi of the osu! Off-Topic forums points out that, in particular, the accessibility is not about the ease of pulling it up on YouTube, but rather about the song itself.

It's easy to meme songs that have very short, catchy, recognizable one-liners. The explosive memeticness of a song can be made even more powerful if such a one-liner is instead just one word. Let's look at some other examples:

Prior to the genesis of Despacito as a meme, Gangnam Style was a very powerful player in the Realm of Meme Songs. A great many number of mashups and mixes that incorporated Gangnam Style were created and uploaded to the popular video streaming site, YouTube.

Gangnam Style, by the Korean music star Psy, gives off a similar feel - the easiest, arguably most popular way to recognize the song are by the phrases "Gangnam Style" (sung in the song) and "Op".

There are also songs that are not as popular that still receive a healthy dose of meme treatments. Big Enough, by Kirin J. Callinan has nowhere near the amount of views that our formerly mentioned rivals do, but the part of the song including an old man screaming for a good part of the song is just so remarkably unique to the song that it became its identifying feature. And as always, it's best when such special things are short and simple.

The song Africa by Toto has been around since 1982, yet there are no similarly short, unique memeities to the song and references to the song must be made through an entire line or the entire song. Yet, a song from five years later, Never Gonna Give You Up can be recognized from even its first few notes. Land Down Under, which came out in 1980, is in a similar position. Yet both of these came after Africa!

Interjection: I don't really know of a term for "a short, simple 3 second or less sequence of a song that can be used to identify a particular song and only that song, which can be either a short sequence of notes or a particular word or two words", so I'm going to refer to it as a "audial fingerprint".

The fault of a song not having any distinct fingerprint is not the failure of the people to find such a trademark, but rather the failure of the song and/or artist to create one in the first place (it's only also the artist's fault if they ever intended to create one). Note that an audial fingerprint as I refer to it and a song's motif are different terms. Any song without a powerful audial fingerprint can have a very catchy motif, but motifs alone don't determine the level of a song's meme potential.

I am willing to wager that most, if not all, popular songs have already been broken down bit by bit by someone, either on purpose or on accident, and those with powerful audial fingerprints rose up quickly on the meme leaderboards while those without, did not.

In conclusion, the reason for Despacito's popularity and memetic potential are due to its powerful audial fingerprint, formed by a very distinct part of the song being one word.
abraker

Quibbly wrote:

abraker is going around being a grammar nazi lately holy hell xD
I bet you nazi that coming
Meah
haaaahahahahhahahahahahah my gaaaaaaaaaad dissss soooo fonnnnnyyyyyyyyyy
ColdTooth
new page

new despacito
Quibbly
Alexa, play Despacito
ColdTooth

Quibbly wrote:

Alexa, play Despacito
Sad!
Quibbly

ColdTooth wrote:

Quibbly wrote:

Alexa, play Despacito

Sad!

Alexa: Sorry, I cannot find the creator of SAD!
edcr1
abraker

ColdTooth wrote:

new page

new despacito
memyarn
the joke is that the song is good
Topic Starter
Jun Maeda

dssdassw wrote:

the joke is that the song is good
I have no idea whats so funny about that, its just a song ffs