forum

Porta-osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
oboewan
I was looking around the interwebz and I found PortableApps.com, which takes open-source programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice and GIMP and makes them so that they can be installed on a flash drive or CD without using any shared DLLs or registry entries or anything.

Basically, you install it onto a flash drive, run it, and when you take out your flash drive, it was like you were never there since the program never used any Windows settings or anything.

And I thought, "say, that'd be great for osu!" Just install osu! on a flash drive or CD along with all of your songs and skins, and you can take it anywhere without having to do anything to their computers.

Useful if you, say, want to play osu! on a shared computer (like a library PC) without messing anything up or having to install anything.

EDIT: Unless someone already made this or suggested it.
Plus, probably a light client would be better so it wouldn't take up as much space on a flash drive.
YoshiKart
The portable apps idea is pretty good, imo, but I know that peppy's strictly against making "light" clients.
GSR_old
Osu! doesn't actually need to be installed, the installer's just for convenience. Just throw your Osu! directory on a flash drive and it'll work fine anywhere.
Topic Starter
oboewan
Yeah, I know, he's against light clients... but that was back when "light" meant "this is my primary osu! client and I just don't want this feature."
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: Gabriela Vega y Maggie Vera - Luces del Norte (TV Size) (Lilac) [Sorry, Krisom. T_T].osu
Topic Starter
oboewan
Well, I'm officially modifying my request.

NEW REQUEST: Point out on the download page that Osu! is portable and can be run entirely from a flash drive or CD if that's how you roll.

(Well, actually, that may be a problem with .NET and all...)
GSR_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
awp
Last I checked osu! could not properly automatically update from a flash drive (can not auto-extract zip files) but apart from that there were no major issues (and it's not a major issue if you're on public build anyway since you don't update often). That was months ago though.
peppy
ThePassingShadow
I didn't realise this. This is really nice.

I don't even have to use space for my songs directory because I can use osu!direct to get songs whenever I want.

Assuming they download into the songs folder on the drive just fine ?
peppy
Usually you try things like this then report if it doesn't work. I don't test the portability of installs, but don't forsee any problems either.
Jeffro
Still best to download all files at home. (Some schools block downloading :P )
ThePassingShadow
Everything is fine. osu!direct downloads to the proper place and everything. Really handy.
RemmyX25
I can't seem to get osume.exe to run on my network drive. It doesn't even start up; Windows just tells me that Updater caused an error and had to close.

Neither does osu.exe, but when I want to play on other computers i just the whole folder onto the desktop anyways and delete when necessary.

Still annoying though.
peppy
Depends on the security settings on the PC.