forum

[Rule] Audio quality

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shiro

current rule wrote:

The song's audio file must be of reasonable quality. Try and source mp3 files yourself; ripping them from a streaming video site often results in low quality audio with high file sizes. The bitrate of a beatmap's audio file must be no lower than 128kbps and no higher than 192kbps. If you are having trouble acquiring an appropriate audio file, contact one of the more audio-savvy BAT; they will be more than happy to help find an mp3 for you.
I just want to add that for VBR mp3s, what matters is the average bitrate, which should be in that range.

proposed wording:

The song's audio file must be of reasonable quality and must not exceed an average of 192 kbps. Try and source mp3 files yourself; ripping them from a streaming video site often results in low quality audio with high file sizes. If you are having trouble acquiring an appropriate audio file of 128 kbps - 192 kbps, contact one of the more audio-savvy BAT; they will be more than happy to help find an mp3 for you.
HakuNoKaemi
VBR average should be less or equal than 192 Kbps as now...
And when I say average I don't say the maximum rate Windows give you, but the one G-Spot or similiar softwares
Sakura
V2 is also fine (and always been fine) so yeah, dont think it needs an ammend tho it's clearly explained.
Topic Starter
Shiro
Current rule doesn't mention VBR at all and "bitrate of VBR" doesn't make much sense. My fix is supposed to regulate these as well.
Sakura
Common sense is that it needs to be the average of VBR as well, you dont need to be naming everything in there, the rule doesn't even state that it has to be CBR so anyone would figure it's either CBR or VBR
HakuNoKaemi
pretty much "average bit rate" summarize all. CBR,VBR and ABR

The song's audio file must be of reasonable quality. Try and source mp3 files yourself; ripping them from a streaming video site often results in low quality audio with high file sizes. The average bitrate of a beatmap's audio file must be no lower than 128kbps and no higher than 192kbps. If you are having trouble acquiring an appropriate audio file, contact one of the more audio-savvy BAT; they will be more than happy to help find an mp3 for you.
IppE
While there has been no mention about it I assume the same bitrate rules apply to Vorbis too.
HakuNoKaemi
well, it doesn't specify if it should be mp3 or vorbis
whymeman
Well.... seeing that VBR is "Variable Bit Rate", I would guess that it goes by the hi & low frequency "peak" in the bit rate where it's most stable (before sound distortion) while including the song's length. Though the other issue with bitrate is how it is compressed like 320 -> 192 ~ 128 is okay, but 128> => 128 ~ 196 is not.
ziin
someone said don't use VBR for some reason, but I don't remember getting a reason. However it's true that VBR messes up offsets, and takes more processing power. Ogg also has poor support, even though it's better than aac, mp3, and free.

The reason this rule exists is for quality filesize reasons, along with minor other reasons that are just gravy.

By forcing lower bitrates, it saves bandwidth regardless, without falling under the "24 MB beatmap" rule. It also should be noted that 192 kbps maximum is a rule, and 128 kbps minimum is a guideline.
Topic Starter
Shiro

ziin wrote:

By forcing lower bitrates, it saves bandwidth regardless, without falling under the "24 MB beatmap" rule. It also should be noted that 192 kbps maximum is a rule, and 128 kbps minimum is a guideline.
It is not. It would make sense as a guideline though. Should I change it this way ?
Sakura

Odaril wrote:

ziin wrote:

It is not. It would make sense as a guideline though. Should I change it this way ?
Do you even know why it's enforced this way to begin with?
ychao
Please pardon my n00b question here: Is the use of 320kbps files strictly forbidden?

I've read the OP excerpt that 128 - 192kbps ones should be used but I've already started mapping quite a bit, so I was wondering if a degradation in audio quality is really necessary. Judging from the fact that there wouldn't be any video in it I seriously doubt it will exceed the 24mb cap.
Sakura

ychao24 wrote:

Please pardon my n00b question here: Is the use of 320kbps files strictly forbidden?

I've read the OP excerpt that 128 - 192kbps ones should be used but I've already started mapping quite a bit, so I was wondering if a degradation in audio quality is really necessary. Judging from the fact that there wouldn't be any video in it I seriously doubt it will exceed the 24mb cap.
Yes anything higher than 196 is strictly forbidden for the reason that peppy doesn't want to distribute lossless nor semi lossless through osu!
Topic Starter
Shiro

ychao24 wrote:

The rule says must. And yes, the use 320 kbps is strictly forbidden.

And this rule isn't about filesize. Using 320 kbps mp3s means we'd be distributing lossless mp3s all over the internet for free.

EDIT: ninja'd by Sakura
ychao
Lol'd at ninja Sakura.

Anyway, thanks for the speedy clarification and the reason behind this rule implementation. I'll make the necessary amendments then.

EDIT: @Odaril - mp3s are lossy files. But yes I get the idea, thank you.
CXu
Hurrdurr, can't you use a 320kbps .mp3 as long as you made the song yourself or something \o\
ziin

CXu wrote:

Hurrdurr, can't you use a 320kbps .mp3 as long as you made the song yourself or something \o\
No, as I said.

ziin wrote:

The reason this rule exists is for quality filesize reasons, along with minor other reasons that are just gravy.

By forcing lower bitrates, it saves bandwidth regardless, without falling under the "24 MB beatmap" rule.
The song's audio file must be of reasonable quality and must not exceed an average of 192 kbps. Try and source mp3 files yourself; ripping them from a streaming video site often results in low quality audio with high file sizes. If you are having trouble acquiring an appropriate audio file of 128 kbps - 192 kbps, contact one of the more audio-savvy BAT; they will be more than happy to help find an mp3 for you.

Might still need some rewording, but I see no reason to break a rule just because the creator of the song didn't release it at anything higher than 80 kbps (and all the other samples online were from that lower quality original). Likewise, if I use vbr and get a decent quality and it averages out to 120 kbps, I should be able to use it. The spirit of the rule is good quality and nothing over 192 kbps. This is to keep the filesize down, and lessen strain on bandwidth. It does not matter if you own the song (you take all responsibility when you upload a song anyway).

A side effect is that osu is less likely to be used as an illegal file sharing site, as only fairly lossy files are shared.
Sakura
Might need splitting into a guideline and a rule, being a rule that it can't be higher than 192 but guideline that it cant be lower than 128, and i do know there are times where something 128 or higher does not exist anywhere.
Topic Starter
Shiro

I like this wording. It solves all the issues discussed in this thread.
show more