posted
Total Posts

Do you think this idea is cool?

Yeah
100.00%
Nah
0.00%
Total votes: 5
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
vjdato21
osu!Media Server Proposed Features:
  1. It is basically a media server running on your LAN (Local Area Network), this removes the hassle to install or copy beatmaps to every computers you have.
  2. The osu!Media Server should be ran using a standalone or a portable application, it should not be running on osu's original client/game to provide better performance.
  3. Installation of beatmaps should be easy as dragging the .osz file or opening the .osz file.
  4. The game must be updated to have a feature to either scan beatmaps on computer or on the osu!Media Server.
  5. The game must be updated to have a feature to choose where the beatmaps are going to be installed.
  6. The osu!Media Server should atleast be able to run on any low-end machines

If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment/reply on the thread
Full Tablet
This is already possible, just make the osu! folder a shared folder in your LAN
Topic Starter
vjdato21
But it is not already possible due to Windows 10 April Update (1803), they have blocked you from sharing folders and even printers. Hope you understand, and anyways, I tried this thing too in the past, this is not possible. And anyways, one of the goals here is to gain access for multiple computers to access the library, and this is not possible if your plan is sharing the folder. If you know much about Windows' Sharing Capabilities and Limits, for sure you'll understand, I have been an/a (I don't know which is correct) user of Windows LAN Sharing for almost 4 years, and I can say that I know most of these things already.

Full Tablet wrote:

This is already possible, just make the osu! folder a shared folder in your LAN
abraker

vjdato21 wrote:

But it is not already possible due to Windows 10 April Update (1803), they have blocked you from sharing folders and even printers
This would wreck havoc in many companies. Many rely on network sharing over local net, and if they did this on purpose, then what the hell is Microsoft thinking? So this is hard to believe.

Edit: researched it. Nothing about blocking network sharing, but there is a mention of a new sharing feature: (https://mspoweruser.com/heres-how-to-us ... rs-update/)
Topic Starter
vjdato21

abraker wrote:

vjdato21 wrote:

But it is not already possible due to Windows 10 April Update (1803), they have blocked you from sharing folders and even printers
This would wreck havoc in many companies. Many rely on network sharing over local net, and if they did this on purpose, then what the hell is Microsoft thinking? So this is hard to believe.

Edit: researched it. Nothing about blocking network sharing, but there is a mention of a new sharing feature: (https://mspoweruser.com/heres-how-to-use-nearby-sharing-on-windows-10-spring-creators-update/)

Nearby sharing is completely different story when it comes to sharing files and printers before. And my objective here is to have a media server for OSU!, which is like Kodi Media Server or Windows Media Server. This thing as I was saying will/shall provide a better experience for people who uses more than one PC and would like to have a fast library loading times, unlike portable one. And one of the objectives here too is it can be used by different players in the LAN.

Edit:
Corrected spelling, sorry I was using my phone
BioZap43
How About Making A Homegroup Into The Network?
Topic Starter
vjdato21

BioZap43 wrote:

Homegroup was removed in the latest build or version of Windows 10

Source:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4091368/windows-10-homegroup-removed
BioZap43

vjdato21 wrote:

BioZap43 wrote:

Source:

Well, I'm Using The 1703 Version Of Windows 10 And It Stills Support HomeGroup Network Sharing.
Full Tablet
I haven't had problems using shared folders in Windows 7. If Windows 10 removed those features, you could try using a 3rd party application (such as setting up a SFTP server on your router or on a PC, then using WebDrive with the PCs on your LAN).

About having different users playing the game at the same time on the LAN, you can have a separate installations for each PC, but a shared Songs folder.
Topic Starter
vjdato21

Full Tablet wrote:

I haven't had problems using shared folders in Windows 7. If Windows 10 removed those features, you could try using a 3rd party application (such as setting up a SFTP server on your router or on a PC, then using WebDrive with the PCs on your LAN).

About having different users playing the game at the same time on the LAN, you can have a separate installations for each PC, but a shared Songs folder.

How can I have a shared songs folder then?

BioZap43 wrote:

vjdato21 wrote:

BioZap43 wrote:

Source:

Well, I'm Using The 1703 Version Of Windows 10 And It Stills Support HomeGroup Network Sharing.

Well, I'm using Windows 10 1803, and it does not support HomeGroup Network Sharing.
Full Tablet

vjdato21 wrote:

Either use the "BeatmapDirectory" option in the osu!{yourpcname}.cfg file, or make a symbolic link.
Topic Starter
vjdato21

Full Tablet wrote:

vjdato21 wrote:

Either use the "BeatmapDirectory" option in the osu!{yourpcname}.cfg file, or make a symbolic link.

Uhmm, let's say for example, I shared my external HDD using FTP, and it's assigned network location is "//External", how would I put that on the .cfg file?

Full Tablet
There should be an option to map a network location to a drive letter (feature from Windows XP to Windows 7 at least, not sure about newer versions of Windows). Or use a third party application (WebDrive, for example).
Topic Starter
vjdato21

Full Tablet wrote:

There should be an option to map a network location to a drive letter (feature from Windows XP to Windows 7 at least, not sure about newer versions of Windows). Or use a third party application (WebDrive, for example).

Ok, but then, how would be directory entered? For example, the shared HDD in the network is called "Backup", how would I enter that on the BeatmapDirectory field?
Full Tablet
If, for example, you map the drive to "X:", and the song folder (called "Songs") is in the root directory, you use "BeatmapDirectory = X:\Songs"
Topic Starter
vjdato21
Ohh, thank you so much :) I highly appreciate it

Full Tablet wrote:

If, for example, you map the drive to "X:", and the song folder (called "Songs") is in the root directory, you use "BeatmapDirectory = X:\Songs"
Topic Starter
vjdato21
Sorry for a late reply, but Windows seems to be blocking this feature really. I can't connect to my FTP server.