forum

[Rule] No mapset may have more than 8 difficulties

posted
Total Posts
show more
Sync
if we do allow x-amount of taiko difficulties on a map, then the taiko toggle feature that has been discussed before should definitely implemented or else non-taiko players will be annoyed
Ekaru

Sync wrote:

if we do allow x-amount of taiko difficulties on a map, then the taiko toggle feature that has been discussed before should definitely implemented or else non-taiko players will be annoyed
There'll only be like 1 or 2 ranked maps a month that will actually have a significant amount of Taiko difficulties.
Shiro
6 standard difficulties and 6 Taiko/CtB difficulties seems to be the general consensus. Bubbling for now, if anyone has anything to say, say it now. I'll amend this within a week if there's no post against or at all.
ziin

lolcubes wrote:

I don't like the hard limit 10 because you would have to write special rules for it, cause I find 2 standard diffs (to be rankable) and 8 alternative diffs lame.
That's rankable under your original 8+8 rule, and 2+6 is hardly different than 2+8.
DaxMasterix

Odaril wrote:

6 standard difficulties and 6 Taiko/CtB difficulties seems to be the general consensus. Bubbling for now, if anyone has anything to say, say it now. I'll amend this within a week if there's no post against or at all.
wut.. are discussed about the Maximun number of Diff ''in general'' or About the Relation of Diffs between Standard , Taiko and CtB?...
Obviously 6 Standards Diff. ''The typical'' [Easy/Beginner - Normal/Medium - Standard/Advanced - Hard<Hyper - Another<Insane<Lunatic - Extra] etcetc
Between Taiko and CtB Can be 6 OR 5. [Taiko Kantan - Taiko Futsuu - Taiko Muzukashii - Taiko Oni - Taiko Ura/Inner Oni - Hell] And CtB Diff huh..

Well.. hopefully this ''New rule'' be approved.. My map need this huh
OnosakiHito
@DaxMasterix: Taiko Hell is just a custom name from the Taiko community in osu!. Mostly used by rockwood. So to have an original mapset, 6 is ideal.
HakuNoKaemi
6 Stardard + 6 Alternative + 2 Optional(Stardard or Alternative)?

EDIT: Making you able to use a full Standard and a full Taiko set with allowing CtB as a a plus, or allowing a full spread with an Alt Insane, and so more)
Shiro
What would the point of having these two optional difficulties be ? 6+6 is already quite a lot, I don't think adding anything else is a good idea.
HakuNoKaemi
Said (with an EDIT).
Anyway, it'll allow an alt Insane/Extra and to have Full Standard spread, Full Taiko and at least a Partial CtB
Sakura
Well let's take a step at a time, i've increased the maximum of difficulties to 8, if we see that it is indeed needed for more we'll think about increasing it further.
DaxMasterix

OnosakiHito wrote:

@DaxMasterix: Taiko Hell is just a custom name from the Taiko community in osu!. Mostly used by rockwood. So to have an original mapset, 6 is ideal.
I Know.. but is ''Known'' in osu!.. I says.. ''Oh taiko hell?, Is more hard than Inner oni'' only for osu. IMO
Luna
Inner/Ura Oni does not mean it's necessarily harder than the regular Oni. It often is, but there are cases where the Ura is significantly easier (for example Senpuu no Mai Arcade Version)
I'd say 6 for Taiko/CtB is good, would allow for stuff like Futsuu/Muzukashii/Oni/Inner Oni/CtB Hard/CtB Insane or something like that. Kantans are usually really unnecessary and not every map has a need for a Ura Oni or Hard CtB diff etc, so different spreads are possible as well.
OnosakiHito

Sakura Hana wrote:

Well let's take a step at a time, i've increased the maximum of difficulties to 8, if we see that it is indeed needed for more we'll think about increasing it further.
Um, for my own understanding: Do you mean 8 + 8 or overall just 8 diff's?
You know, many people could abuse the second case: 1 osu! diff's + 7 taiko/ctb.

Edit:
v@Sakura Hana: I understand. Okay, then do it quick please. \:D/
Yeah, just joking, thank you for answer.
Sakura
Just 8 diffs, depending on what happens after this we can decide if it's really necessary for more
ziin
You need a normal (3 star or under) osu map to get the map ranked. That is extremely unlikely to be the case, ono.

8 IMO is plenty. It allows 4+4 diffs. You shouldn't need more, but if you do, you can split the map up.
RandomJibberish
I'm confused, are we going with 6+6 or just a straight 8 of any mode? The former makes a lot more sense to me and seems to be the consensus earlier in the thread :/
Sakura
Right now is 8, you can split it however you want, depending on how this goes we may increase it further, as i said, one step at a time.
DaxMasterix
8 General? 4+4 (? 6+2 (? ._. I rly don't understand but..
I think the 50% of the mapset can be Standard. and the other 50% Taiko & CtB..
OnosakiHito

Sakura Hana wrote:

Right now is 8, you can split it however you want, depending on how this goes we may increase it further, as i said, one step at a time.
As Sakura Hana said, you can split the 8 diff's how ever you want, in the momentan situation.
1 osu! + 7 taiko/ctb
5 osu! + 5 taiko/ctb
7 osu! + 1 taiko/ctb
and so on.
Shiro
Only one standard difficulty is unrankable.

EDIT: it's fine for approval maps though
DaxMasterix

Odaril wrote:

Only one standard difficulty is unrankable.

EDIT: it's fine for approval maps though
Yes but.. There must be a minimum and a maximum.. i says.. can't abuse this rule
CXu
And how did we end up back at 8 diffs only again...
Luna

CXu wrote:

ziin

OnosakiHito wrote:

1 osu! + 7 taiko/ctb
keep in mind the standard difficulty has to be 3 stars or less. I don't think the rules disallow single difficulties, but you need at least 2 beatmaps to be ranked.

CXu wrote:

It's increased from 6 max to 8 max. This is fine. In fact it's better, since 6+6 only lets you do 6 standard difficulties.
HakuNoKaemi

OnosakiHito wrote:

Sakura Hana wrote:

As Sakura Hana said, you can split the 8 diff's how ever you want, in the momentan situation.
1 osu! + 7 taiko/ctb
5 osu! + 5 taiko/ctb
7 osu! + 1 taiko/ctb
and so on.
The selected one, does not make any sense.

anyway: A full spread is 6, Standard and Taiko full spread 6+6, not permitting full taiko spread and we have 6 + 4 + 2.
6 Standards
6 Taiko/CtB
2 Optional

(Rule)+(Warning)
No mapset can have more than 12 total difficulty. You can't have more than 8 difficulties of Standard or Alternative ( Taiko or Catch The Beat) types. This is to leave more freedom to the mapper and to permit having spread that can be played by players of all levels. Remember that having such a large mapset will make difficult to search for modders.
(Guideline)
It's advised that you should have at least 3 Standard difficulties, when possible, with one being a Beginner, Easy or Normal level. This is to avoid cases of mapset made only for a restricted number of players.
OnosakiHito

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

OnosakiHito wrote:

1 osu! + 7 taiko/ctb
5 osu! + 5 taiko/ctb
7 osu! + 1 taiko/ctb
and so on.
The selected one, does not make any sense.
If you mean because unrankable:
- It makes sense under approval criterias.
If you mean generealy:
- It makes sense for Taiko people, especially when you want to approve authentic Taiko diffs.
HakuNoKaemi
but still, it shouldn't be rankable on normal basis. (and yes, most rules are valid for ranking only)
Shiro

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

(and yes, most rules are valid for ranking only)
You are so wrong. The only rules that don't apply to approval are the length and score limits, and the fact that ranked mapsets need at least two standard difficulties, one of which must be easy or normal.
DaxMasterix

Odaril wrote:

ranked mapsets need at least two standard difficulties, one of which must be easy or normal.
We can use that rule (?...
I think.. a mapset of 2 standard diff + 6 Taiko/CtB are rankeable... And obviously the Limit. The rest is proportional.. [3 + 5 / 4 + 4 , etc]

btw
one of which must be easy or normal.
HakuNoKaemi
Yet it is unplayable on the principal modality. A 1+7 Mapset should be completely avoided
DaxMasterix

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Yet it is unplayable on the principal modality. A 1+7 Mapset should be completely avoided
Obviouslymodeon
well.. Someone approve this rule .-.
Sakura

DaxMasterix wrote:

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

Obviouslymodeon
well.. Someone approve this rule .-.
8 difficulties is already approved?, discussion here is irrelevant for now until we give it time to see how people use the new difficulty limit before we can decide if it needs to be increased further.
OnosakiHito
I'm for Sakura Hanas though.
For now the 8 diffs seams pretty solid to me.
So watching how people act there would be not bad?
DaxMasterix
8 is enough ;w;
So.. Dude'
My map have 7 Diffs. Are rankeable or not atm?
ziin
It's up to the bat/mat you get.
Sakura

DaxMasterix wrote:

8 is enough ;w;
So.. Dude'
If it includes at least 2 osu! standard diffs, yeah that ammount is rankable atm
DaxMasterix

Sakura Hana wrote:

DaxMasterix wrote:

8 is enough ;w;
So.. Dude'
If it includes at least 2 osu! standard diffs, yeah that ammount os rankable atm
DA FAK IS THAT!
And i waiting this rule a lot of 1 week ._. ... With the possibility of... ARGH.
Thanks a lot.
ztrot
why is 7 or 8 even thought of? oh......right extra game modes tbh we should just make a rule that stand alone maps sets are now rankable i would have to scroll through 8 maps only to play the 2 standard sets
OnosakiHito
@ztrot: Wait, I understand that wrong right now, or?
What you suggested right now is having for example just a Taiko mapset, without osu?
Sakura
That's pretty much what he's suggesting, but right now Taiko and CTB stand alone mapsets are unrankable (and its in a different rule), i dont really mind 8 osu!standard difficulties in a single mapset, it's the mapper's choice and it will be harder to get it modded so it's their own risk.
OnosakiHito
@^: Yes, I can approve this. It is harder... lol
animez15
just following the rules is what we can do. It is better for us to know.
theowest

ztrot wrote:

why is 7 or 8 even thought of? oh......right extra game modes tbh we should just make a rule that stand alone maps sets are now rankable i would have to scroll through 8 maps only to play the 2 standard sets
Y'know what would solve that? this would
animez15
it has limit on it..
emergist

theowest wrote:

ztrot wrote:

Y'know what would solve that? this would
It's a very good feature.
Aqo
Isn't it kinda stupid to limit something like this because of GUI? There really is no problem with having more difficulties in a mapset besides the added GUI clutter. The fault here isn't on the amount of difficulties, it's on the GUI design.

Instead of expanding inside the list of map packs when you click a map pack, and displaying all difficulties as part of the map pack listing - which honestly makes no sense and has been bothering me ever since I started playing - why not just display the difficulties on the side?

The way it is right now:

The way it should be:

Would be nice if each map pack button was smaller too... why can we only see 7 at a time? let us have 25-40 visible simultaneously. Why can't scaling of this be an option in the global options? Scrolling through maps feels like a chore with the current huge buttons and I end up memorizing keywords and only using search to find each one map I want to play.

(notice the two scrollbars - to know which one you're scrolling through all osu needs is a simple if clause for middle mouse button and right click that checks the location of your cursor - if it's over map packs it scrolls their bar, and if it's over difficulty vertical area it scrolls their bar)
if the map has too many difficulties... no problem! It doesn't clutter your map pack scrolling, you can just scroll through the difficulties separately. Also, like other people said, just add a filter with a [v] tickbox for osu/taiko/ctb that lets the player choose what he wants to display. So for example, if somebody only plays standard and ctb, he would tick in his options or filters:

[v] osu
[ ] taiko
[v] ctb

and then it would hide taiko difficulties from the difficulty display pane. Easy. Efficient. Everybody happy. And no reason to limit amount of map difficulties per mapset just because of GUI, seriously, hindering your features because of GUI is wrong way of development.

Is there ANY reason it's not done like this?
HakuNoKaemi
propose in that topic linked some post ago?.
It's a nice idea
Loctav
Aqo should post this in Feature Request. I like it. Also this rule can be nuked if it was only set up for GUI purposes and the suggested feature gets added.
I never saw a point in this rule, because with Taiko+CtB rankable now, it's so easy to get above 8 diffs now
ryza
I think this rule might need to be changed with the addition of osu!mania.
Drafura

Silynn wrote:

I think this rule might need to be changed with the addition of osu!mania.
1) osu!mania diff spec aren't rankable asaik.
2) I believe you're not even supposed to submit osu!mania diff spec atm

It's maybe a bit soon to talk about this until osu!mania is on rankings.
Sakura
osu!mania doesn't even submit scores yet, that's the kind of phase it is at the momment, it will probably take some time before osu!mania specific maps are rankable.