1. osu!community
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings

posted
with the mouse
Try use keyboard as well :?
posted

Rayne wrote:

It's pretty solid that you can hold your ground on 4* maps but you should really try to put more emphasis on getting good accuracy and not just try to hold your combo & try to survive, otherwise it can end up in you developing bad habits that take extra time to unlearn again.

There's a lot of fun maps in the 3* range, so consider these when you go for high accuracy plays.
What sort of bad habits can you get from doing this?

I'm curious because it's what I have been doing, and nobody beats a 4 star map by randomly wiggling the mouse during star patterns or mashing buttons at inappropriate times. Passing 4 stars requires a certain level of accuracy and reading ability that translates easily to lower difficulty maps, in my opinion.

For the sake of trying different things out, instead of pushing my limits, I went back to 2-star maps to "work on my accuracy and foundations", and I'm very much certain that it hasn't done anything for me besides bore me a lot and increase the accuracy stat associated with my account.

Pushing my limits has allowed me to survive some 4.5 and 5 star maps with 80% accuracy, and now thanks to this, I can pass most 3 star maps with 1 or 2 missed notes, which is pretty damn good when you consider that beginners just crash and burn on those.

My question is genuine by the way, I'm really curious about what bad habits you or others think the whole survival thing can give. I hope for precise ideas, not something vague like "well you just try to survive" because that doesn't mean anything.
posted

Flying Deer wrote:

I'm really curious about what bad habits you or others think the whole survival thing can give. I hope for precise ideas, not something vague like "well you just try to survive" because that doesn't mean anything.
All these things are relative. If you really want to know what he's talking about, try playing big black on NF for the next few days.
posted
I think I might understand where the sentiment comes from, then.

Playing big black would be pointless because it's too far up, and I do believe that playing too many maps that are far too hard to be survived is at least a waste of time and at worst possibly detrimental. I think that was your point.

So maybe the advice given should be, seek out a challenge that you might survive, or come close to surviving, but avoid what is beyond.
posted

Flying Deer wrote:

I think I might understand where the sentiment comes from, then.

Playing big black would be pointless because it's too far up, and I do believe that playing too many maps that are far too hard to be survived is at least a waste of time and at worst possibly detrimental. I think that was your point.

So maybe the advice given should be, seek out a challenge that you might survive, or come close to surviving, but avoid what is beyond.
Basically don't play maps where you're constantly blindly mashing. Beginners are far more susceptible to this than experienced players are. Just "Passing" a map doesn't mean too much in the grander scale of things, what's more important is learning to tap to the beat more and more accurately.

You're not going to get this from playing a map that's too far beyond you such as big black +NF (I've seen beginners do this).
posted

Xalesin wrote:

with the mouse
Try use keyboard as well :?
HERETIC
posted
Doesn't matter.

Play more
posted
Yes i use keyboard and mouse. If i want i could actually have a 98 % in 3 stars map if i want but i find them too slow so usually i quit before ending them :D
The problem i have in 4 star maps is when i have to repeatly stream 2/3 notes while jumping. I thing they are called like technical maps.
posted

AlexLovesYou wrote:

Forgive me for stalking your profile, but I think you should improve your accuracy a bit before starting anything harder. If you want to test yourself though, I'll give you some maps:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/372510 (Insane Difficulty - Tests Speed)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/210316 (Insane Difficulty - Tests Complexity)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/99434 (Another Difficulty - Tests Streaming and Jump)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/355073 (Insane Difficulty - Tests Complexity (Easier))
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/342543&m=1 (Angelic Difficulty - Tests If You're Ready For 5+ Stars)

Happy Clicking!
Thanks! Today i'll try them.
posted
Just play easy maps and music what you enjoy.
posted

Voucer wrote:

If i want i could actually have a 98 % in 3 stars map if i want but i find them too slow so usually i quit before ending them :D
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1088291&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/216151&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1014244&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1356145&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/348550&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1294883&m=0
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1306781&m=0

They're all in [3.00;3.99] stars.
Have fun, if you feel like they're all too slow, then, you can move on. :P
Please sign in to reply.