What happened to rank/app mapsets?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lesjuh
On account of these maps:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/39828
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/39600

Two maps that are approved when they easily could have been ranked. There is no reason for them to be approved and in case the max score on the umbreon one really would be a problem it could still be ranked in an rank/approval mapset like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/42152&m=0.

Is this some kind of MAT/BAT privilege or are moderators blind? I'd approve all of my insane difficulties if I could so I wouldn't have to map easy/normal/hard difficulties. Saves alot of time. So why are these maps approved?
Shiirn
because the mappers wanted them to be so

good enough for me

aren't you a fan of MAPPER FREEDOM anyway?
GladiOol
Freedom in mapping yes, but freedom in being lazy is just ... yeah XD
Rules also indicate that these maps should be ranked ~.~ so yeah.
mochi

Lesjuh wrote:

Is this some kind of MAT/BAT privilege or are moderators blind?
They pretend to be blind to give people they're well acquainted with special treatment.
Shohei Ohtani
There's sacrifices made when you do this, though.

For instance, you sacrifice anybody knowing your map exists for the ability to map approval difficulties.

Also, for most people, it's HARDER to get your map approved. Speaking from personal experience, every time I get a map approved, I literally have to ask EVERY SINGLE BAT on the BAT team before I could even get ONE bubble, and that was because I annoyed the balls out of him until he was like "OK FINE."

Although, I do agree that the definition of "ranking" and "approval" really needs to be re-defined. But I probably shouldn't be saying anything, as I'm Mr. "HEY GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT'S COOL? APPROVAL COLLABS WITH ONE DIFF"
mochi

CDFA wrote:

Also, for most people, it's HARDER to get your map approved.
For most people, they wouldn't be able to get those types of maps (listed by lesjuh) approved to begin with.
SapphireGhost
New Rules: 16-18m = Rare cases, for insane difficulties that are long and challenging enough to justify such a high score.
Old Rules: 12-20m = Same as above, and check difficulty is hard enough that score is not so attainable.

Junichi Masuda - Heavy Rain (LightUmbreon's Remix): 19,886,328 points
If we're going by the logic that the New Rules have not been totally set in place yet, then it's debatable as to whether or not this should have been approved.

Renard - GOT MY PONY SPAM FOR YOU: 17,903,410 points
However, for this map, either set of rules would suggest that this map should have had easier difficulties and instead gone for ranking. A similar happened with Floating Darkness, which gave 17,151,236 points and got approved. I don't agree with either of these maps being approved, so I would agree with Lesjuh on this one.

In my opinion, if you'd like to make a one difficulty approval mapset, it should probably give more than 20,000,000 points to satisfy both the old rules and new rules. If it's below 18,000,000 points, create a better spread and go for ranking. If it's between 18,000,000 and 20,000,000 points, that's a grey area and it would be nice to have it one way or the other. That's all.
awp

GladiOol wrote:

Freedom in mapping yes, but freedom in being lazy is just ... yeah XD
had to double check the thread. I'd agree with Gladi here - not whether it should be ranked vs approved, but the whole laziness thing with the one difficulty mapset. Thought we decided we were better than that going forward.

As for BAT/MAT privileges, I don't think we actually have any of those with respect to mapping.
Lybydose
Sakura

SapphireGhost wrote:

Renard - GOT MY PONY SPAM FOR YOU: 17,903,410 points
However, for this map, either set of rules would suggest that this map should have had easier difficulties and instead gone for ranking. A similar happened with Floating Darkness, which gave 17,151,236 points and got approved. I don't agree with either of these maps being approved, so I would agree with Lesjuh on this one.
I agree as well, i remember i told ztrot that the mapset could perfectly go for ranking and he said "It's impossible to map something easier for this map, if you think you can do it, go ahead if you want", i still disagree with such low scoring maps going for approval.
HakuNoKaemi
Lazyness is not Freedom.

The actual fact that in the two mapset he provided, he CAN map something easier
Gabi

Shiirn wrote:

because the mappers wanted them to be so

good enough for me

aren't you a fan of MAPPER FREEDOM anyway?
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33340

When you are good enough friends with BATs, you get special treatment ;)
zeroclover

Gabi wrote:

When you are good enough friends with BATs, you get special treatment ;)
not friendly with BATs =forever alone no ranked / approved map

sad to hear that fact~
i think BATs always have a good decisions to rank or app a map

add some issues...
BATs never look star difficult rate system for mapset now
ex : insane 4.8 - 5 , hard 4.0 - 4,6 < it must be like this
but...
some map have annoying difficult rate like , insane (4.7) and hard ( 4.9) <why ranked

idk why BAT not looked star diff rate system again, dont say "that map have a good quality to play and ranked blah blah blah~"

SPOILER
i hate drama
Metro
mochi

Metro wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/35023
I like how shinde didn't even have to request for mods and it gets approved.

Garven is probably like best friends forever with shinde.
Nharox

Sakura Hana wrote:

I agree as well, i remember i told ztrot that the mapset could perfectly go for ranking and he said "It's impossible to map something easier for this map, if you think you can do it, go ahead if you want"
More like "It's impossible because I'm lazy". It's always possible to map at least one easier difficulty. If the mapper is too lazy, the map has to stay in WIP/Graveyard.

I think an approved diff in ranked mapsets is better anyway.
Topic Starter
Lesjuh

Metro wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/35023
Just saw it haha xD
ziin
or he really likes rolling girl.
awp

Nharox wrote:

More like "It's impossible because I'm lazy". It's always possible to map at least one easier difficulty.
I've never met a song I couldn't squeeze three difficulties out of.

No, LuigiHann's map called "The Fire" or whatever it was does not count as a song.
ztrot
meh
show more