forum

[Proposal] Romanisation of Mandarin

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CrystilonZ

Proposal - Romanisation of Mandarin

*Clarification: the Romanisations of other Chinese languages such as Cantonese are not in the scope of this proposal.*
Do not mistake Mandarin for Chinese. This proposal is only about the Romanization of Mandarin.

Several days ago there was a discussion in the ubkrc metadata channel regarding the problems that arose from the current Romanisation rule in the Ranking Criteria. The problems are listed as follows:
  1. The one-character-one-word method is impractical. Similar to Japanese, one Chinese character does represent one single syllable. However, a word is not necessarily comprised of one syllable (like Japanese, Chinese is a polysyllabic language). For example 图书馆 (túshūguǎn) as a whole means library, and writing 'li bra ry' would defeat the purpose of Romanisation by not resembling the structure of languages using the Roman alphabet.
  2. Using v as the Romanisation of the vowel ü is nonsense. The purpose of Romanisation is to enable players to read titles / artist names written in scripts that are foreign to them. For anyone that does not know Mandarin and/or how pinyin works, Lv Guang (Lü Guang) is just begging to be read as Level Guang.
  3. The current Romanisation method is baseless and irrational considering the linguistic specifities of the Mandarin language. The current method is based on a discussion comprised of a small number of people only.

To match the increasing metadata standards, here are the proposed rules:

1. Songs with Mandarin titles and/or Mandarin artists must use the Hanyu Pinyin method of Romanisation. The ü vowel should be Romanised into u and all diacritical tone marks should be omitted because of the technical limitations resulting from the limited amount of characters allowed in the Romanised title/artist fields (only characters found on common English keyboards are allowed).
  2. For capitalisation and word separation, refer to The Basic Rules of the Chinese Phonetic Alphabet Orthography (汉语拼音正词法基本规则). In short, generally every word should be separated and capitalised. Surname and first name are separated using a space and are capitalised.
  3. Particles (助词) are written separately and should not be capitalised.

Diaereses are not allowed in the Romanised fields, so ü cannot be in those slots. After much deliberation a number of members from the metadata helper team and the ubkrc agreed on replacing ü vowel with u. We all acknowledge the difference between the two but, as previously stated, the purpose of Romanisation is to make regular players able to comprehend titles in foreign scripts. Though it is not ideal (the ideal being ü), romanising ü into u is most likely a better alternative than v.

============================================

============================================

If you have any concerns or suggestions please post here. Your feedback is appreciated and discussion regarding the proposed rules is welcomed.

Edit: quick change from Chinese --> Mandarin to avoid confusion
Mafumafu
Most of the content within this proposal has been discussed ago, though in Chinese: t/462204
In fact, Romanisation of Chinese has been discussed many times:
t/145553
t/164332

And the result of that discussion turned out to be that, the proposal is impractical and hard to implement.
Kurai

Regraz wrote:

Most of the content within this proposal has been discussed ago, though in Chinese: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/462204
And the result of that discussion turned out to be that, the proposal is impractical and hard to implement.

Can you elaborate as to why it is impractical please?
Mafumafu

Kurai wrote:

Regraz wrote:

Most of the content within this proposal has been discussed ago, though in Chinese: t/462204
Can you elaborate as to why it is impractical please?
I would like to, but it needs quite a long time to translate everything. Some points are even not translatable because they only make sense in Chinese.

But in short, main problems are:
1. Mandarin does not equal to Chinese. There are various types of Chinese dialects with different Pin Yin Systems. Link to current ISO: https://www.iso.org/standard/61420.html
ISO 7098:2015 explains the principles of the Romanization of Modern Chinese Putonghua (Mandarin Chinese), the official language of the People's Republic of China as defined in the Directives for the Promotion of Putonghua, promulgated on 1956-02-06 by the State Council of China. This International Standard can be applied in documentation of bibliographies, catalogues, indices, toponymic lists, etc.
However, sometimes the boundaries between Mandarin and other languages within Chinese language family is vague. You need extra rules to clarify this boundary.
2. Some information from wiki this thread points out is obsolete and not complete enough to be a guide. Details about Han Yu Pin Yin could be found in government documents or international standards. However, China Mainland, Taiwan and other regions (maybe) utilizes different kind of systems of romanisation. "Official" in the international standard means P.R.C. Official. Yet the standard from Chinese mainland is not fully utilized in Taiwan. Let alone other regions. It is not like Japanese, which is shared by only one country.

3. "Spacing each phrase/word/idiom, instead of one character." This is one core idea of the so called "official" Pin Yin system, however, it is hard to implement due to the issues in p/5192373

And many other problems as well but sorry not enough time to translate. You could detail go through the threads listed above for further information.

Followings are my personal opinions:
Having some standards are nice. However, due to the complicated language systems, there are even academic disputes and debate. You need extra workforce to implement this rule, maybe linguists are even not enough, because Han Yu Pin Yin is also involved within political issues, which of course should be considered if you would like to establish a rule of it.

Current rule could basically cover all the languages within the Chinese language system as it is in a single Han Zi (Chinese Character) system scheme, not vocabulary-based. It is easy to handle and most Chinese people know about it.
Topic Starter
CrystilonZ
ok seems like i wasn't being clear enough

Other languages that use the Chinese script are irrelevant to this proposal.
We are only talking about Standard Mandarin here and Mandarin is not equivalent to Chinese.
We only use 'Chinese' in the draft for simplicity. The wording will be changed if this is implemented.

also afaik Taiwan is using hanyu pinyin officially as well.
for 3. I'd say that a lot of languages are the same; case and point Japanese. However, mappers go through lengths to find the most appropriate romanization. You said osu! is an international game and I definitely agree. So shouldn't it make sense for the romanization to be more comprehensible by the international audience?

Regraz wrote:

However, sometimes the boundaries between Mandarin and other languages within Chinese language family is vague. You need extra rules to clarify this boundary.
I'm not an expert on this one. Do you have any suggestions or explain this a bit more? that will help a lot :)
Mafumafu

CrystilonZ wrote:

ok seems like i wasn't being clear enough

Other languages that use the Chinese script are irrelevant to this proposal.
We are only talking about Standard Mandarin here and Mandarin is not equivalent to Chinese.
We only use 'Chinese' in the draft for simplicity. The wording will be changed if this is implemented.
Hmm I think it is not proper to use Chinese for simplicity. Using the term Chinese is wrong, if you discuss under a wrong simplicity, the accuracy and authenticity of your discussion results are questionable.

It is just like, "We are going to make a rule about language of German but for simplicity we use European languages instead, because German is a kind of European languages" (just an example)
Topic Starter
CrystilonZ
I know it is lol that's why it's stated first that Chinese and Mandarin will be used interchangeably in the proposal. I know a lot of people mistake Chinese for Mandarin so the wording here needs to be precise and I also want to get feedback like this from Chinese mappers regarding the wording as well. If you have a good wording that does not make people mistake between the two please post here. I appreciate that a lot
Mafumafu

CrystilonZ wrote:

also afaik Taiwan is using hanyu pinyin officially as well.
Yes, but they have different detail usages about it. For example: about Names of people, which is quite important to this game, as you need to romanise artist names if no official ones you could find, as you could check:
https://zh.wikisource.org/zh-hans/中文譯音使用原則_(民國100年) (It is in Chinese)

CrystilonZ wrote:

I know it is lol that's why it's stated first that Chinese and Mandarin will be used interchangeably in the proposal. I know a lot of people mistake Chinese for Mandarin so the wording here needs to be precise and I also want to get feedback like this from Chinese mappers regarding the wording as well. If you have a good wording that does not make people mistake between the two please post here. I appreciate that a lot
From my perspective, just use Mandarin instead. You could check the threads listed above for feedbacks from Chinese mappers, such proposals have been discussed quite a lot, back and forth. Maybe advertise this thread to Chinese sub-forum is another efficient way to let them know, though this thread is basically the same as history records of such issue..
Topic Starter
CrystilonZ
does that work lmao.
well I can change that along with a big DO NOT MISTAKE MANDARIN FOR CHINESE THANKS xd that should help

So I take it that Taiwanese names should be romanized differently?
also (It is in Chinese) is basically RIP me lmao

Regraz wrote:

Maybe advertise this thread to Chinese sub-forum is another efficient way to let them know, though this thread is basically the same as history records of such issue..
Please do.
Mafumafu

CrystilonZ wrote:

does that work lmao.
well I can change that along with a big DO NOT MISTAKE MANDARIN FOR CHINESE THANKS xd that should help

So I take it that Taiwanese names should be romanized differently?
also (It is in Chinese) is basically RIP me lmao
Yeah, names. Addresses and names of towns and cities and other such stuffs belong to another standard: https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/標準地名譯寫準則_(民國98年)

Planning to translate this thread to Chinese and post in Chinese subforum.
Topic Starter
CrystilonZ
Towns and cities might be redundant lol
Gonna look into that while revising the proposal cuz I take it that Taiwanese Mandarin is Mandarin as well?

If anyone has suggestions about the romanization of Taiwanese names/titles post it here.
Wafu

Regraz wrote:

In fact, Romanisation of Chinese has been discussed many times:
t/145553
t/164332

Anyone interested in Ranking Criteria can:
1) Contact anyone from the specific UBKRC and tell them your concerns.
2) Say their opinion to UBKRC's Proposals if they have any objections.

If someone really cares about RC changes, they will come to discuss it (nobody has contacted us regarding the Chinese metadata since UBKRC existed afaik), I don't think we should just rely on the fact that it was discussed in a language that we can't properly understand. And if you're going to give such a strong claim that something is impractical and hard to implement, you will need to elaborate your point and back it up with some evidence.

Regraz wrote:

1. Mandarin does not equal to Chinese. There are various types of Chinese dialects with different Pin Yin Systems. Link to current ISO: https://www.iso.org/standard/61420.html
ISO 7098:2015 explains the principles of the Romanization of Modern Chinese Putonghua (Mandarin Chinese), the official language of the People's Republic of China as defined in the Directives for the Promotion of Putonghua, promulgated on 1956-02-06 by the State Council of China. This International Standard can be applied in documentation of bibliographies, catalogues, indices, toponymic lists, etc.
We all know that Mandarin is not Chinese and this will not be in the wording as stated by CrystilonZ. This thread is specifically about Chinese Mandarin.
No, we don't need extra rules to clarify a boundary. The boundary is defined already by the language itself. You could say that Slavic languages, or Germanic languages need a boundary, but they don't, they already have a boundary by being different languages. Same as Chinese has these boundaries that define that a language is Mandarin, Cantonese, or any dialect. It's not us who should set a boundary between languages.

Regraz wrote:

2. Some information from wiki this thread points out is obsolete and not complete enough to be a guide. Details about Han Yu Pin Yin could be found in government documents or international standards. However, China Mainland, Taiwan and other regions (maybe) utilizes different kind of systems of romanisation. "Official" in the international standard means P.R.C. Official. Yet the standard from Chinese mainland is not fully utilized in Taiwan. Let alone other regions. It is not like Japanese, which is shared by only one country.
What is or isn't official for those countries or any political problems is none of our business and is not at all a concern when picking a Romanisation system. The Romanisation system we picked is to resemble the way our other Romanisation systems (like Modified Hepburn) read, to ensure more uniformity and readability for a regular player who knows only the Latin alphabet. We don't care what is official somewhere else, because that's not the community this is directed at.

Regraz wrote:

3. "Spacing each phrase/word/idiom, instead of one character." This is one core idea of the so called "official" Pin Yin system, however, it is hard to implement due to the issues in p/5192373
The intention of spacing by words is again, because languages that use Latin script (Latin is what we transcribe to) are alphabetical languages. Writing metadata in a style of syllabary writing system is non-sense if the resulting text is in Latin script. If we want to follow exactly how Chinese works, we would have to do it in logographic way. That means, that every single character represents some word and their combination changes the meaning. That's impossible in Latin script, because we don't have any way to replace each character with one single character. The only possible ways to Romanise Chinese language is either syllabary (which doesn't make sense because that's not Chinese, and it wouldn't make sense because Latin is not syllabary either), or alphabetically (which is not how Chinese works, but Latin does, which is the intention—Romanisation is to make it easy and natural to read for people who use Latin script). If we choose a Romanisation system that breaks the rules of Latin script just because a country may be using it, it's not the right system.

Regraz wrote:

You need extra workforce to implement this rule, maybe linguists are even not enough, because Han Yu Pin Yin is also involved within political issues, which of course should be considered if you would like to establish a rule of it.
This is a pure fallacy. Political issues are not relevant, and by saying that linguists are not enough, in that case nobody could solve this at all.

If you have any objections, try to say this in this thread and keep it English. If you have to translate this thread for Chinese people (which is fine), it's a bit concerning that you make it seem like they are the authority here who should decide how we Romanise things, if they barely understand our languages.
Mafumafu
Hello Wafu, thank you for your concern and attention over Chinese romanisation!

Wafu wrote:

If someone really cares about RC changes, they will come to discuss it (nobody has contacted us regarding the Chinese metadata since UBKRC existed afaik).
Please at least give a look on the threads I listed above, I don't think dates are written in English there. :C They are all concuded before the UBKRC was founded. I don't think it is proper to abandon all the information these threads provide, just because there are Chinese characters, since some of them are written in English.

Wafu wrote:

No, we don't need extra rules to clarify a boundary.
Same as Chinese has these boundaries that define that a language is Mandarin, Cantonese, or any dialect. It's not us who should set a boundary between languages.
Put aside your statement of "language tells its boundaries itself", which is not really convincible first. Let's assume the boundaries between language are clear. However, you need a boundary for the implementation of a rule in osu to deal with cases when these boundaries are trespassed. For example, a Chinese word might belong to different dialect, they look the same but differ in meaning and pronunciation. Since you stated in this proposal that, other languages within the Chinese language system are not considered. Then there will be potential issues that if you require mappers to utilize the method of romanization provided by this proposal, they will say that "The title belongs to Cantonese or other languages within the Chinese language system". How will you know if it is Mandarin or another language? If you continue to forcing other languages using the Mandarin romanisation system, that is already deviating the idea of your proposal of letting international people know about Chinese titles conveniently for they will be in different meanings and pronunciation after romanisation under your scheme. You have to tell in the rule clearly, instead of saying "it is a case-by-case" problem since it is related to quite a few Chinese words.

Wafu wrote:

What is or isn't official for those countries or any political problems is none of our business and is not at all a concern when picking a Romanisation system.
The Romanisation system we picked is to resemble the way our other Romanisation systems (like Modified Hepburn) read, to ensure more uniformity and readability for a regular player who knows only the Latin alphabet. We don't care what is official somewhere else, because that's not the community this is directed at.
Sadly it is your business. Different from Japanese, there is not a single standard/system of romanisation could cover all, or at least most of the cases. And the cases you cannot cover is myriad. If you pick up one, for example, the system mentioned in the thread, you have to make relevant rules regarding what you cannot cover, like the names from Taiwan.

Wafu wrote:

That means, that every single character represents some word and their combination changes the meaning. That's impossible in Latin script, because we don't have any way to replace each character with one single character. The only possible ways to Romanise Chinese language is either syllabary (which doesn't make sense because that's not Chinese, and it wouldn't make sense because Latin is not syllabary either), or alphabetically (which is not how Chinese works, but Latin does, which is the intention—Romanisation is to make it easy and natural to read for people who use Latin script). If we choose a Romanisation system that breaks the rules of Latin script just because a country may be using it, it's not the right system.
No matter what system you choose, and what reason you provide, you have to deal with practical issues. Here're some cases where spacing by word is hard to implemented as posted in p/5192373 , they are answered by Lyric in p/5192457 but they are not convincing as different people have different explanisation toward the spacing scheme:

Pata-Mon and re-write in English for ease reading wrote:

Word: 痛彻心扉
Problem: If 痛彻 could be treated as different words?

Word: 大侠艾吃汉堡包
Problem: This title could be romanized into both "Daxia'ai Chi Hanbaobao" and "Daxia Aichi Hanbaobao", they are both reasonable but different in meaning and pronunciation. Please do not say "It is not related to people who do not speak Chinese". Because you have to give an answer which one to use for the title of the map. If with the current character spacing scheme, no problems will arise: "Da Xia Ai Chi Han Bao Bao"

Word: 学不会
Problem: It should be romanized into Xuebuhui or Xue Buhui? Same reason as above.

and so on

Wafu wrote:

... , it's a bit concerning that you make it seem like they are the authority here who should decide how we Romanise things, if they barely understand our languages.
It is of course everyone has the right to discuss as osu! is quite community-oriented. But romanization is realated to two languages, and requires detailed research and work regarding both languages. If people barely understand Chinese and are going to build a romanisation system possibly just after searching something in google and wiki, that is not authentic at all either.

Again, I would like to know more ideas about the romanisation, as the new propsal or standard do own some advantages. Personally, I would like to recommend this, if improved, instead of a rule, to be a guideline, advocating mappers to write these in tags for ease searching and address the concerns over current Mandarin romanisation.
Wafu
Disclaimer: Although this is mostly a response to Regraz's concerns, if you want to get some more complex reasoning, read it. The list at the end is more important though. All of its points are however fully explained in the spoilerbox.

In-depth explanation of the list below as a response to Regraz

Regraz wrote:

Please at least give a look on the threads I listed above, I don't think dates are written in English there. :C They are all concuded before the UBKRC was founded. I don't think it is proper to abandon all the information these threads provide, just because there are Chinese characters, since some of them are written in English.
I know that these threads are older than the UBKRC. But those people still can join the discussion. Nobody is ignoring their opinions. As long as they: 1. Raise a concern 2. Give a reasoning. Unfortunately, majority of the Chinese community can't handle basics of English, so their communication with rest of the community is close to none. I'm not blaming these people, but if they want to be heard publicly, they shouldn't discuss these things behind closed doors without any communication with the team that is responsible for metadata. The threads without translation don't give us the concrete reasons for why this romanisation is bad or why this change overall is bad. We'd rather get the feedback here without the need to translate 2+ years old threads. There's enough time for everyone to give their opinion, if we had to translate and check every single metadata discussion, we couldn't possibly propose anything, ever. It's extreme delay for us if we actually have to go through all the discussions that a detached group of people made. Please, work more with the community and say your opinion here. Now it's the best time!

Regraz wrote:

Put aside your statement of "language tells its boundaries itself", which is not really convincible first. Let's assume the boundaries between language are clear. However, you need a boundary for the implementation of a rule in osu to deal with cases when these boundaries are trespassed. For example, a Chinese word might belong to different dialect, they look the same but differ in meaning and pronunciation. Since you stated in this proposal that, other languages within the Chinese language system are not considered. Then there will be potential issues that if you require mappers to utilize the method of romanization provided by this proposal, they will say that "The title belongs to Cantonese or other languages within the Chinese language system". How will you know if it is Mandarin or another language? If you continue to forcing other languages using the Mandarin romanisation system, that is already deviating the idea of your proposal of letting international people know about Chinese titles conveniently for they will be in different meanings and pronunciation after romanisation under your scheme. You have to tell in the rule clearly, instead of saying "it is a case-by-case" problem since it is related to quite a few Chinese words.
Excuse me, but you cannot just tell me to put aside my argument because it's not convincible and give yours. That's not a rational discussion. Same way, you could argue that we can never know if a language is Japanese, if it contains characters that are also Chinese and doesn't include Hiragana/Katakana. There always need to be research as to what language it really is and it is up to modding community and BNs to check that. As it goes for any other language, even though the words may be exactly the same, you have to figure out what language it really is. This is what we have to do when checking metadata even today. Respectively, we always had to do that. And yes, no matter how vague the difference between a language may be, it's up to research to figure out what language it is.

Regraz wrote:

Sadly it is your business. Different from Japanese, there is not a single standard/system of romanisation could cover all, or at least most of the cases. And the cases you cannot cover is myriad. If you pick up one, for example, the system mentioned in the thread, you have to make relevant rules regarding what you cannot cover, like the names from Taiwan.
What I'm saying is none of our business are political issues. These don't belong to this game and shouldn't be considered in any way (ignoring some extremely violent cases). If by choosing a Romanisation system, you are basically "picking side" in terms of Chinese politics, they you are "picking side" even by not choosing it, it works vice-versa. Romanisation systems don't have to be official in the country from which the language comes for it to be correct. It's intended primarily for users of Latin alphabet, so if it's a standard in (in fact majority) of countries that use Latin alphabet, the evidence seems to be that that's good enough, rather than a system that is only used within that country and is not respected by nearly any other country. Hanyu Pinyin seems to be built on a heavy amount of linguistic research and the reasons it is official in majority of countries using Latin alphabet seem to be pretty reasonable. Yes, if you want to Romanise Chinese Cantonese or Taiwanese Mandarin, or any dialect, you will pick a system that most suits the needs and that makes most sense with Latin alphabet. Now maybe 15% of Chinese/Taiwanese songs on osu! will be Cantonese (never said there shouldn't be system for Cantonese) or Hokkien, the rest will be Mandarin, creating a system for each dialect is not needed because there will be maybe 5 maps overall, insignificant languages will still be judged case-by-case.

As for the names from Taiwan, that will already be covered by the romanisation system you use for Taiwanese, so we don't have to include rules for that. We only have to include rules for what you have to do different than the system, because of some compatibility reasons.

Regraz wrote:

No matter what system you choose, and what reason you provide, you have to deal with practical issues. Here're some cases where spacing by word is hard to implemented as posted in p/5192373 , they are answered by Lyric in p/5192457 but they are not convincing as different people have different explanisation toward the spacing scheme:

Pata-Mon and re-write in English for ease reading wrote:

Word: 痛彻心扉
Problem: If 痛彻 could be treated as different words?

Word: 大侠艾吃汉堡包
Problem: This title could be romanized into both "Daxia'ai Chi Hanbaobao" and "Daxia Aichi Hanbaobao", they are both reasonable but different in meaning and pronunciation. Please do not say "It is not related to people who do not speak Chinese". Because you have to give an answer which one to use for the title of the map. If with the current character spacing scheme, no problems will arise: "Da Xia Ai Chi Han Bao Bao"

Word: 学不会
Problem: It should be romanized into Xuebuhui or Xue Buhui? Same reason as above.

and so on
"no problems will arise" is again such a strong claim without any thought or evidence.

So, what is suggested here is that we solve an actual issue of the language (sequence of characters having a 2 different meanings or 2 different Romanisations) by making it incorrect entirely. If the reasoning of an issue is that they have different meaning by Romanising them in 2 different ways, then in result, Romanising them syllable by syllable will yield the exact same Romanisation for both contexts/meanings. That doesn't only mean the problem is not fixed (the text still may not align with what the meaning is supposed to be), it also means introducing second problem (now, the meaning is completely undetectable). If you have 2 possible Romanisations and have to choose by a meaning, you will have to do your research on what the meaning is supposed to be (we do that for Japanese too!). If you accidentally choose the wrong title, people will think the meaning is different than what it's supposed to be, but with a system that completely disregards this, you won't know the meaning at any point. Romanising separate syllables is not solving the problem, it's skipping it, that's the problem with the original system.

Regraz wrote:

It is of course everyone has the right to discuss as osu! is quite community-oriented. But romanization is realated to two languages, and requires detailed research and work regarding both languages. If people barely understand Chinese and are going to build a romanisation system possibly just after searching something in google and wiki, that is not authentic at all either.
I'm not at all saying that these people can't give their opinion, but they shouldn't be above anyone else. We are not building a Romanisation system, we are just using it. You can't go wrong about using a Romanisation system because it has a clear set of rules that you have to follow. Assuming that we're basing this just on wiki is not making it less authentic, and searching it on google is not really an argument, because that doesn't say how intense or good was the research.

What we are promoting is a system that indeed does differentiate between different Romanisations of the same text, based on meaning (because we do that for the other languages too, for a long time already) (ofc we can't cover everything because we can't use Unicode characters, but current system doesn't solve that either, in fact no system will) and we also promote a system that is correctly Romanising it with respect to the Latin-based languages. What the current system does is that it ignores the different meanings and also breaks the rules of Latin-based languages. What we suggest in the proposal solves both of these issues.
I think it is worth doing a little comparison the current system and the system in the proposal to highlight the pros a bit more.
  1. Current system
    1. Titles are easy read ✘ (most of people will read every syllable as if it was one word)
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✘ (words are easier to remember than separate syllables, humans remember the words easier by their shape)
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✘ (Latin script is alphabetical, therefore separating each syllable doesn't make sense and doesn't read well for majority of Latin script)
    4. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms. Chinese is also not syllabary script, so separating each syllable again doesn't make sense.)
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✘
    6. Includes tones in Romanised text ✘ (Impossible with characters which we are limited to. You could use "a1", "a2" (redundant) etc., but that would make the text incomprehensible, majority of people wouldn't even know how to pronounce it)
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others which have no evidence of being similar to the intended character. ✘ (ü is replaced with v, which doesn't seem to be supported by any logical argument)
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✘
    9. Isn't related to politics ✘ (Impossible, picking any Romanisation system is picking a side, every Romanisation system is related to politics)
  2. Proposal
    1. Titles are easy read ✔
    2. Titles are easy to remember ✔
    3. Fits the rules of Latin script (Romanisation = writing words from other script to Latin/Roman script) ✔
    4. Fits the rules of Chinese script ✘ (Impossible, if you want to make it "fit" to the Chinese script, you would have to replace each character with one logogram, Latin alphabet doesn't have logograms.)
    5. Differentiates between different Romanisations and meanings of the same sequences of characters. ✔
    6. Includes tones in Romanised text ✘ (Impossible with characters which we are limited to. You could use "a1", "a2" (redundant) etc., but that would make the text incomprehensible, majority of people wouldn't even know how to pronounce it)
    7. Doesn't replace characters with others based on no evidence that they are similar to the intended character. ✔
    8. You can use a different Romanisation system for dialects where the current system wouldn't work at all ✔
    9. Isn't related to politics ✘ (Impossible, picking any Romanisation system is picking a side, every Romanisation system is related to politics)
So far, no issues that aren't solved or would have to be solved were brought up. We obviously accept your opinions, but it must be to the topic and it must be an actual issue that the system has.
Topic Starter
CrystilonZ
@Regraz
Could you please (I'm really begging on my knees here) tell Chinese mappers to discuss under this thread in English? Obviously many people including the QATs do not speak fluent Mandarin to understand the discussion if they aren't in English xd. I value Chinese mappers' opinions a lot and it'll help me and other people here a lot for you guys to discuss in English.

For my thoughts on the matter I don't understand how romanising 学不会 to Xue Bu Hui is more informative than Xue Buhui or Xuebuhui. Word separation can be ambiguous at times but whether you write Xue Buhui or Xuebuhui it's more informative than the Xue Bu Hui according to the current RC. If there is ambiguity that can be discussed case by case to determine the more appropriate option like we always do with the current Romanisation of Japanese.

About citing Wikipedia I really do want to cite the GB/T 16159-2012 document but unfortunately that is not in English and won't do any good for the argument atm.

I believe determining language boundary is not our job. We do not want the Ranking Criteria to be 200 pages long full of rules like a freaking maths textbook. Refer to Wafu's post above for more information.

I'm well acknowledged that the Romanisation method in this proposal is not perfect. In fact no system is. But we are trying to make this more standardised and more methodical. The current system is basically 'let's do whatever the hell we want just keep it si mp le o k ay' which is far from being a good system. We are trying to propose a better one, not a perfect one. If you guys have suggestions that will improve the Romanisation method post away. I'm all ears.

My sincere thanks to anyone that pays attention to this proposal <3 I value every opinion / suggestion here. If anyone want to say anything please do.

This proposal will be up for community feedback for some amount of time. After that it will be revised.
Before closing I will try to summarize everyone's points. So many walls of texts lol.
Fycho
Chinese is pictograph which is different from phonogram like English. Romanising “我的未来式” to "Wo de Weilaishi" wouldn't be better reading or having more meaning than "Wo De Wei Lai Shi". When we read "Weilaishi", we have to spend time splitting the word, and translate them to characters in our minds, which has no difference from "Wo De Wei Lai Shi", both of them are not intuitive except "我的未来式". Therefore, using English as example (eg, simple okay => si mp le o k ay') is meaningless. Also, "Wo de Weilaishi" wouldn't be easier to search songs than "Wo De Wei Lai Shi", players would spend more time to think how to search songs, because most title are hard to find a way to be divided into words (although they use chracters to search at most time).

There are some useful discussion at past, I'd have some people to translate some posts of these thread to English (or invite them to discuss here later):
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/462204
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/145553
Wafu

Fycho wrote:

Chinese is pictograph which is different from phonogram like English. Romanising “我的未来式” to "Wo de Weilaishi" wouldn't be better reading or having more meaning than "Wo De Wei Lai Shi". When we read "Weilaishi", we have to spend time splitting the word, and translate them to characters in our minds, which has no difference from "Wo De Wei Lai Shi", both of them are not intuitive except "我的未来式". Therefore, using English as example (eg, simple okay => si mp le o k ay') is meaningless. Also, "Wo de Weilaishi" wouldn't be easier to search songs than "Wo De Wei Lai Shi", players would spend more time to think how to search songs, because most title are hard to find a way to be divided into words (although they use chracters to search at most time).

There are some useful discussion at past, I'd have some people to translate some posts of these thread to English (or invite them to discuss here later):
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/462204
https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/145553
Please, don't bring this non-sense into the discussion if you did not read the previous posts. Thanks. This is not what Romanisation is about.
pishifat
archiving thread

content here is promoted in https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/719568

integrate discussion there if it's relevant