forum

Modders pls

posted
Total Posts
show more
Serraionga
Shohei Ohtani
Have you ever thought that your "innovation" sucks ass lmao

Like I give credit to where credit is due but if you put shit on a map and expect me to eat it up when it doesn't play well, doesn't look aesthetically pleasing, or even fit the song, then you're wrong lmao.

Like hahahahha "it doesn't need to follow the song" are you fucking serious lmao just put any shit onto any song lmao this is why we got these extra diffs on solo guitar maps lmfaooooo

Be mad
Topic Starter
abraker

CDFA wrote:

Have you ever thought that your "innovation" sucks ass lmao
It's hard to justify whether or not something of your own is good or not due to bias. But then there are people that can shit on it just for the sake of shitting on it, and it makes it so much easier to do so when it doesn't follow normal conventions. Perhaps it just sucks as in your perspective, but then the same can easily said about it being a masterpiece in the my perspective.

CDFA wrote:

Like hahahahha "it doesn't need to follow the song" are you fucking serious lmao just put any shit onto any song lmao this is why we got these extra diffs on solo guitar maps lmfaooooo
Perhaps such elements annoy you because they don't make sense in your perspective, which is fine. I don't mind such things, at least in mania maps, so I don't necessarily label such things as shit.

What I see as shit is something that just makes little attempt to be predictable. A sudden fast slider in std, a misplaced note, or a single part with an uncomfortable pattern would be good examples. If the entire thing is just a slew of random notes, I would not consider that predictable. If the notes are randomly placed but have distances, duration between notes, and angles dependent on the song, then there is a degree of predictability there and may lean toward a more controversial point of quality.
Softwarm
Your first post is all over the place. I'm going to assume that the main point of this post is to gripe about modders being stupid. ...But since you're also talking about how apparently:
  1. the entire mapping meta is inert
  2. a given map doesn't need to follow its song strictly
Both of those topics are included and both are only vaguely connected to what I think you're trying to talk about, thus I feel like I need to clarify just what you're asking about here before I give an actual reply.
Topic Starter
abraker

Brisk Clarity wrote:

Your first post is all over the place. I'm going to assume that the main point of this post is to gripe about modders being stupid. ...But since you're also talking about how apparently:
  1. the entire mapping meta is inert
  2. a given map doesn't need to follow its song strictly
Both of those topics are included and both are only vaguely connected to what I think you're trying to talk about, thus I feel like I need to clarify just what you're asking about here before I give an actual reply.
The issue is that many modders don't tolerate something different or something that goes against their intuition.

I feel modders tend to look into the editor before playing the map, and mappers that are less experienced in playing more diverse/difficulty patterns wouldn't know how they actually feel to play otherwise.

A ghost note may be placed to keep pace or maintain rhythm, and some say there is no sound there and so the note needs to be removed.

Some don't understand why a pattern is the way it is because they try to figure out how it relates to individual sounds instead of the half second section the group of sounds play.

In the case of fast drum rolls, notes can have snapping that don't follow drums because it's hard to follow out the individual beats. That can be used to adjust difficulty by spreading notes out to make the section a bit more or less dense. Consider you don't want a stream to be too difficult, so you make it 0.9 times as fast. It plays fine if hitsounds are muted, but anyone looking in the editor would loose their mind.
roshan117

abraker wrote:

It plays fine if hitsounds are muted, but anyone looking in the editor would loose their mind.
its a part of the ranking criteria to have audible hitsounds on all parts of a map im pretty sure (dont quote me on that - i have no idea what im doing), but that sort of argument seems absurd because you shouldnt have to mute hitsounds for a map to play fine
Tae
yeah, you can't have anything below 5%, and 5% is only used for certain things
hitsounds are there to provide feedback
Topic Starter
abraker

roshan117 wrote:

abraker wrote:

It plays fine if hitsounds are muted, but anyone looking in the editor would loose their mind.
its a part of the ranking criteria to have audible hitsounds on all parts of a map im pretty sure (dont quote me on that - i have no idea what im doing), but that sort of argument seems absurd because you shouldnt have to mute hitsounds for a map to play fine

Hwa Yang wrote:

yeah, you can't have anything below 5%, and 5% is only used for certain things
hitsounds are there to provide feedback
They are less important in mania. Nobody uses hitsounds unless it's a purely hitsounded map or you are just starting out. It's all noise above 4* and does not help at all.
Tae
mania is an irrelevant mode
johnmedina999

Hwa Yang wrote:

:(
Shohei Ohtani

Hwa Yang wrote:

ColdTooth
Mapping is horrible now.
Softwarm
If people can't take their intuition and then figure out an actual reason for why they're getting that feeling, then you should just dump their mods that fail in that regard. Also, telling them about this problem you have with their explanation would go a long way to helping improve modding quality in general.
Topic Starter
abraker

Brisk Clarity wrote:

If people can't take their intuition and then figure out an actual reason for why they're getting that feeling, then you should just dump their mods that fail in that regard. Also, telling them about this problem you have with their explanation would go a long way to helping improve modding quality in general.
Rarely do I see modders go back to take a look at the feedback to their mods. I never bothered to pm them however, because I believe they do not want to be bothered about it.
Caput Mortuum
keyboard clicks are the best hitsound
Arzenvald
hype this
Ashton
Please refrain from combining meme world with beatmappers world. Go in #modhelp and start this sort of conversation.
Topic Starter
abraker
Back in the day we had beatmaps that were so creative. In fact they got so creative, players couldn't handle it and so they put a lid on it. Without creativity, maps started to look the same and players started to get bored. Players now ask for more creativity, but newer modders are scared and and keep a 50 meter distance from it.

Mappers are a boiling pool that runs wild unchecked
Modders don't want the boiling pool to be a mess, and so they made the ranking criteria to cool it
Most players don't want to get into hot water, but ice cold water is bad too
fat pear
maybe u are getting bad/new modders who are trying to change the map so that it appeases their own style, rather than analysing the map and put in actual suggestions.

unless yo map is shit
Topic Starter
abraker

microism wrote:

maybe u are getting bad/new modders who are trying to change the map so that it appeases their own style, rather than analysing the map and put in actual suggestions.
how to get good modders? I only know of the modding queues, and it's like a crammed room in there.
Softwarm
The answer is: you don't get good mods because there is a distinct lack of supply for good modding ability/people with lots of time/people with willpower.
Shohei Ohtani
If you want the actual answer it's kind of impossible since a lot of decent modders are just kind of backlogged and shit.

Queues are useful but mod4modding is probably the best way. I personally perfer mod4modding, because it forces people to sort of get experience with modding and expanding their repetoire of maps and mapping styles, lol.
johnmedina999
The answer is "ignore ranked, make maps and then keep them in the grave yard."
Topic Starter
abraker

johnmedina999 wrote:

The answer is "ignore ranked, make maps and then keep them in the grave yard."
It's weird. Most ranked maps in mania are known to be not so good. A bad stigma was developed where ranked maps would be avoided like the plague. Even if the map is good, most players prefer to play unranked because unranked maps are associated with challenges or not following the meta which the ranking criteria or modders wouldn't pass so easily. I prefer unranked maps and almost never put on ranked maps in multiplayer. Yet for some reason I want to rank a map even if there is not much to gain from doing such.