forum

question on keys

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jazz-Hands
Hiya!

I've been playing osu for about a week. got some pretty good scores too. one thing I have in mind is that is it alright for me to just use one key? for some one who wants to improve, is it a bad habit? or a personal preference? I mainly just press the Z key with my middle finger and have the pointing finger ready on the X key but I never use it. I haven't got to a difficulty where there are streams yet, but I have played beatmaps with 2-4 consecutive hit circles.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Jazz-Hands wrote:

Hiya!

I've been playing osu for about a week. got some pretty good scores too. one thing I have in mind is that is it alright for me to just use one key? for some one who wants to improve, is it a bad habit? or a personal preference? I mainly just press the Z key with my middle finger and have the pointing finger ready on the X key but I never use it. I haven't got to a difficulty where there are streams yet, but I have played beatmaps with 2-4 consecutive hit circles.
Check autoplay mod and you can see when it use the second key and when don't.
KupcaH

Jazz-Hands wrote:

Hiya!

Later you'll face patterns that cannot be done with one key. You'll have to use two.
There's nothing wrong with singletapping most of patterns, and using second finger on stream/triples/doubles/anything fast.
pandaBee
If you want to be a scrub forever you can stay on 1 key.
Haxwill
When you start getting to 3 star levels you will start seeing a lot of triples, which can sometimes be hard to singletap as a beginner. Then you'll get streams which you really aren't going to singletap, unless you can jittertap pretty well, even so, it's hard to keep jittertap stamina up, I can do up 180bpm deathstreams with jittertapping (and i've gotten pretty good at doing it), but most of the time, they will be more than 180bpm and you are very likely to slip up and miss which a jitter than you would be for normaling streaming.
winber1
Rhythm is just a click away
mulraf
you're gonna have to switch eventually. however, it's totally normal after one week to play with one key. i think i stayed on 1 key for like one or two months (well, partly cause i didn't know that you can use 2 keys LUL). gotta learn the real basic stuff before learning the.. well.. still kinda basic but less basic stuff.
Topic Starter
Jazz-Hands
Thanks for all the info! I've gotten a wee bit better but still haven't practiced using 2 keys yet mostly because the beatmaps at my skill level don't really require them yet. but hopefully will do soon.