forum

Why Are Lower BPM Maps "Typically" More Difficult?

posted
Total Posts

Heads or Tails

Heads
68.69%
Tails
31.31%
Total votes: 99
Topic Starter
Manfred
I'm trying to play with more HD, and I just try anything that sounds good, and I've noticed a trend for quite a while now. Maps lower than 150 or so BPM often are more difficult, this being immediately evident when the leaderboards only have nomod FCs or only HD FCs. I know not all maps were ranked at the same time, but some are very old and still retain few FCs. Is it some sort of hidden code of conduct for mappers to make low BPM maps much more complex, or is it just what they have to do to map to the music better?

A few examples
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/136065
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/630325
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/618500
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/647546
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/361356
(Or any handsome map ever, AR9 + OD9 can fuck off)

I picked these at random, so no need to tell me what is exactly difficult about each set, but more of a broad explanation if you will. The only thing I can really pick out that makes them sometimes more difficult is the tendency to use higher CS to compensate or use awkwardly long jumps.
Do songs from 120-150 BPM use less common timing signatures? Or do mappers just like to make them harder for no particular reason?
B1rd
Even if the maps that are structured the same, maps that are much lower or higher bpm than the norm will be harder for the majority of people.
Yolshka
It's hard to push up the star rating if the bpm is low, speed is a big factor.
So if you want to make a slow map hard, you need to make it complex otherwise it's a basic hard diff or something easy.
Topic Starter
Manfred

Yolshka wrote:

It's hard to push up the star rating if the bpm is low, speed is a big factor.
So if you want to make a slow map hard, you need to make it complex otherwise it's a basic hard diff or something easy.
Makes sense, I feel some are horribly overmapped but that's up to the mapper I guess.
My Angel Jeremy
sometimes low bpm maps like 140 bpm go for really spaced streams or 280 bpm taps
Solarys
Extreme BPMs are difficult for different reasons. Extremely high BPMs are easy to shitmiss on (from experience) and drain your stamina. Extremely low BPMs (I'd say 135 and below) are simply hard to acc, especially for quarter-beats. Stacks and streams are easy to screw up because you instinctively want to go faster.
N0thingSpecial
Cause people aren’t used to it
Akanagi
Simply because you can't hear the beat as frequently as you do with higher BPM maps. That just makes them more difficult to acc for me, though.

Maps that are 220-250BPM+ are usually very easy to get very high Acc (close to SS) on as long as you have the speed for them. You don't have a lot of time to lose track of the beat, while a map with very low BPM and maps with a lot of breaks between the notes makes it hard to stay on beat, thus screwing your acc.

It's easy to reproduce. Just open up any metronome tool, set the BPM very high and tap to it, and then try to do the same with like 80-130 BPM.
Topic Starter
Manfred
I enjoy the challenge of lower bpm maps, some are way too complex for me but are good practice. The lack of them however is what bums me out, compared to 180+ BPM maps there's around a quarter of that of ones lower than 130. I'm guessing that the majority of music just simply isn't lower bpm and follows a more typical structure, e.g Dnb is around 170-190, all sorts of typical rock can go past 230 and the vocaloid (?)genre(?) can really be just about anything.
chainpullz
Lower bpm maps have more aim difficulty than higher bpm maps with similar star rating to balance out the lower speed/stamina difficulty.
ManuelOsuPlayer
My problem with low bpm it's i have no idea when to expect circles and where they will be if i don't know the song, so it's react after react.
While playing high bpm, you can see a lot of circles at screen, so you have more information to have a general idea about a pattern before even start to play it. Also circles are easier to hit while you follow a rhythm.
The attention you put at the map also matters. I miss a lot due to start cursor dancing to keep the rhythm at low bpm or just run out of patience at typical 5* slow maps where i stop reading due to get bored playing 3 mins 60bpm slidders. I just quit those maps.

Same happens while playing AR10 vs AR7. AR7 seems easier due to the amount of circles they are at screen at same time so i have always something to read, instead wait without do nothing after click a circle.
KupcaH

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Cause people aren’t used to it
^

People never play a lot of low BPM maps. Of course it's gonna be more difficult to them than other maps.
Vuelo Eluko
b1rd put it best but in general they aren't harder than the same map sped up to a higher bpm
if you find mendes dt easier to acc than normal mendes you have a serious finger control problem
pandaBee
My crippled self can only do low bpm. Checkmate, atheists.
7ambda
I understream 150 bpm.