forum

Positive Frustration

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bomber34
Like the topic says :3
What game gave you the biggest frustration in a good way?
So you couldn't stop playing until you beat the stage? (any game)

For me it was the final boss in I WANNA BE THE GUY! (and i had to do it twice because i died at the credits Q.Q)
I just couldn't stop playing because i was so angry. ( Dracula too ;))

The same happend in CtB
3rd Coast - Let's Go Baby [Infatuation]
because the difficulty isn't hard, the spacing is just annoying (I hate horizontal holdslieders )
Vext_old
Most RPG's do this to me, there will be that one boss which is ridiculously OP, but you just can't stop, so you keep trying over and over until you realize he's weak to fire and you facepalm because he was made of ice and it was so obvious.
Nachy
Most recently for me, gotta be Dark Souls (and its predecessor Demon's Souls), it's punishing but extremely satisfying. Skyrim is also a bit like this for me especially on Master/hardest difficulty. Witcher 2 especially on the recently patched Dark difficulty which is hard as hell but has some nice "Dark items" to find to help you out.

Also the Contra series and Stuntman is also this for me, and well obligatory Touhou.
Lilac
Etrian Odyssey.

Talking about not fun grinding solo.
Rantai

Lilac wrote:

Etrian Odyssey.

Talking about not fun grinding solo.
Pfft.

Also;

FF Dissidia Duodecim - Trying full arcade mode with vanilla items, biggest pain I've ever come across.
Anything touhou.
ampzz
As Rantai stated:

Rantai wrote:

Anything touhou.
Record of Agarest War - Any of the final gods.
Haseo_old
CoD WoW Zombies on iOS. I can't stop playing alone, even on the hardest diff.

I usually go down in 10 to 15 rounds or so.
Jinxy
Probably osu only. I don't play insanely difficult games often and when I do, I quit after a short while instead of getting motivation. 2-3 deaths while playing touhou and I'm done for the day.
Topic Starter
bomber34

NachoPiggy wrote:

Also the Contra series and Stuntman is also this for me, and well obligatory Touhou.
Stuntman was awesome ^^
What was the hardest movie for you?

:3 I hate the tank level in the fith 'cause the tank cannot aim :(
senaya
need for speed: underground. i was restarting that last race countless times, ohh the satisfaction that followed D:
also, the jail fight in Mafia2. i was thinking that there is a weak point and was looking for it. realizing later that it was intended to lose in that fight made me sad XD
Haseo_old
Posting again, huehue

I might as well add Knights of the Crystals. It's some sort of Facebook game based on Final Fantasy. The gameplay is similar to Mafia Wars, but it's more flashy / interactive than other games. Ever since it's May 2011 update, every Gold Class job is almost twice as strong than the older ones (e.g. A Lv.15 Martial Artist could beat a Lv. 30 Shogun without any abilities). There's also a growing number of players below Lv. 200 that have 501 Companions, which make saving up money the biggest piece of crap in the game.

You could also buy 5 Companions for 1,000,000 Gs.
Nachy

bomber34 wrote:

NachoPiggy wrote:

Stuntman was awesome ^^
What was the hardest movie for you?

:3 I hate the tank level in the fith 'cause the tank cannot aim :(
If I can remember, it's probably the either the Secret Agent/James Bond movie or the one in Thailand. Took me 2 weeks just to clear them lol
hoihoisoi
I remember I used to play trauma center on the DS emulator. Man, I remember sometimes I have to retry like a few hundred times (Literally - Triti, Paraskevi, Deftera and Savato) Man, but I still went on and on and finally managed to beat them. I stopped at Triti during the X-missions cause I am so freaking sure I played that a few hundred times (Combinations of a few days) and I really really really got kinda sick so I stopped. But still that frustration finally led me to finishing till Triti - X missions.
Backfire
Dark Souls.

ffs dying in one hit, come on.

And Skyrim beats the shit out of you on the hardest difficulty. :c
Loginer
Frustration is never a positive thing in video games. Games with a perfect difficulty curve continue to challenge you from start to finish, but not to the point where you get stuck and give up.
Two_old
there is no such thing as a perfect difficulty curve

player skill is too varied, and if it isn't then it's a bad game to begin with
Topic Starter
bomber34

Loginer wrote:

Frustration is never a positive thing in video games. Games with a perfect difficulty curve continue to challenge you from start to finish, but not to the point where you get stuck and give up.

Yeah it is important what you think that frustration is.
For me it is the feeling that I am just too stupid, not skilled enough for a situation orit is just unfair.
If it is my own stupidity i just cannot stop because I think this is easy to do, it's only my fault.

It is like Portal (or any other puzzle game)
You can't pass a chamber and you get frustrated so you turn the game off.
But you can't stop thinking about a solution and suddenly you see it and then you beat it :)
The feeling you get is incredible awesome.
mathexpert
ninja gaiden 8-)
Haseo_old

hoihoisoi wrote:

trauma center
You should have started with Under the Knife 2. It's easier.
Topic Starter
bomber34

mathexpert9981 wrote:

ninja gaiden 8-)
Ninja Gaiden is impossible :P
I can't tell how often i tried the last boss Dx

it's just impossible
If someone beats Ninja Gaiden 1 - 3 without cheating ....
Gets a place in the Hall of Fame
hoihoisoi

Haseo wrote:

hoihoisoi wrote:

trauma center
You should have started with Under the Knife 2. It's easier.
I know right...? After I finished I went totally 'How is the second game supposed to be easier than the first game!?' I was pretty suprised when I played and went 'Whaaaaaatttttt?' when I beat the bosses without much probs while on the first one it was hard as heckkkkk!!!!
Haseo_old
The World Ends With You. It made me powerrape my DS for 2 hours trying to complete Joshua's Boss Rush on Ultimate, with the Black Planet pin set. Still haven't tried with Eden's Door set though.
Rick--
well...i don't had any positive frustration..its all negative...exept mario xD