forum

In-game progress bar (song length) [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
yourMoonstone
I had my hopes raised then crushed when I saw a progress bar in the changelog. Sadly, it's only for the jukebox.
I know that even you play in windowed mode, the header of the window serves the function for how far you are in the song, but even then, it's rather mediocre.
I play on full screen, and would love an implementation of a progress bar for the length of the song. Perhaps under the health bar?
I don't care where it is, just something to indicate how far into the song I am and how much I've got left. Not knowing the song shouldn't be the downfall of a playthrough, IMO. :P
peppy
The only reason I haven't done this is because I don't want it to take a large part of the playfield, or be distracting in any way. I am willing to come to a compromise which is this screenshot:

Hopefully its not too subtle.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
We have decided further in IRC that a pie display would work well, but I'm not sure when I will get around to implementing this (not such a simple thing to do ;)).
MaxwellDemon
Doesn't it say the in-game progress bar at the top of osu!? :o
Saturos

MaxwellDemon wrote:

Doesn't it say the in-game progress bar at the top of osu!? :o

LordMoonstone wrote:

I know that even you play in windowed mode, the header of the window serves the function for how far you are in the song, but even then, it's rather mediocre.
I play on full screen
MaxwellDemon
Oh, sorry, didn't read~ My bad :P
Gemi

peppy wrote:

We have decided further in IRC that a pie display would work well, but I'm not sure when I will get around to implementing this (not such a simple thing to do ;)).
Err, I like the current one and it wont disturb anyone, but I guess you could test that out.
YoshiKart
I'm indifferent on the pie chart, but sooner or later, tons of people will go "moar checkbockes in opshuns!" Not good. :o
peppy

YoshiKart wrote:

I'm indifferent on the pie chart, but sooner or later, tons of people will go "moar checkbockes in opshuns!" Not good. :o
And noone will get it.
Topic Starter
yourMoonstone

peppy wrote:

The only reason I haven't done this is because I don't want it to take a large part of the playfield, or be distracting in any way. I am willing to come to a compromise which is this screenshot
It's that bar under the combo indicator, right? If that's the case, maybe making it a tad bigger. I can understand the playfield being cluttered as is, but putting that bar right next to the combo indicator makes it worse.

How about under the score counter?

I think the low opacity makes it blend in, right? Not too distracting. Maybe expand it so it looks like an underline for the score. It can fit, I think.
Echo
Afaik there is no standard size for the numbers in the score counter, so you run the risk of either the bar overlapping the numbers, or having the bar too low in the middle of nowhere. Even if you made the position of the bar variable depending on the font size, some skinner might run into difficulty when trying something smart with the score font.

I still think having it along the bottom is good.
Topic Starter
yourMoonstone

Echo wrote:

Afaik there is no standard size for the numbers in the score counter,
Ah, really? I haven't looked into skinning that much. But if that's the case, wouldn't the same apply to the score multiplier at the bottom? It's the same font just upscaled by a certain degree, yes?

How about above the "Online Chat / Show Chat" buttons, or hell, even replace them? Honestly there's keyboard shortcuts and I never find myself using those buttons anyway. Eh, regardless, you could still put it in on top of them and have it fit cosmetically:

Eh?
ash

LordMoonstone wrote:

Eh?
I like this one the best, considering those buttons are unchanging with skins and such.
Gemi
What's wrong with the original bar?
ThePassingShadow
I like both ideas of the subtle bar on the bottom of the screen and the one underneath the scoreboard.
peppy
Its in all three places now.
Topic Starter
yourMoonstone

peppy wrote:

Its in all three places now.
:D

EDIT: Have you perhaps thought of using the progress bar for a replay seeking feature as well? I think it'd fit perfectly.