forum

Discord RPC - join multiplayer (and more) from Discord!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Teased in a bunch of peppy's tweets in the past week and featured on the latest Cutting-Edge build, Discord RPC has now made its way to stable!

What does this all mean? Well, it means that you can now advertise and join osu! multiplayer games from inside Discord servers, see what your friends are playing on osu!, and even ask to join games currently in progress! You can also spectate people who you share servers with.

How does it work? It's really simple:

1. Update the game by opening the game client first! This new fancy Discord business only works with the special Halloween version of the game and any newer builds going forward - it will NOT work at all if you do not do this.
  2. Make sure Discord detects osu! as a registered game on your system - it generally does this by default, so you shouldn't need to worry about it. You can check this in the App Settings -> Games section of the Discord options menu.
  3. Turn on the Display currently running game as status message option in the Games tab. This is not needed to join games that are advertised by others, but it is needed to advertise your own.
  4. Start any game of multiplayer, head on over to your local Discord haunt and click the shiny green button in front of the plus sign (). It may take a few seconds to appear if you've only just started a game.

Here's a video of it in action:

https://assets.ppy.sh/media/halloween-2017/themoon.mp4

If you make a room with a password, people that use your invite don't need to enter anything. Private games at the click of a button with no fuss!

You can also click on the Discord profiles of anyone you share a server with who is playing osu!, and see what they're up to at a glance. If you're friends with them on Discord, you can even ask to join their current multiplayer match.

This button will automagically change to allow you to spectate people who are playing maps currently as well, so never miss out on your friends failing the same song repeatedly again!

Do note - if you send Discord RPC invites too often, you may be temporarily faced with an error from Discord that looks like this:

This is perfectly normal and more misleading on Discord's part than anything else. Wait a few minutes, and you should be fine to send invitations again.

Let us know what you think, and please post in this thread if you find any issues with the integration!
NEROCHRONEXIA
yess thanks
C h a
I've been waiting for this for so long. God bless.
Rsuiono
Oh, the new discord implementation
YaLTeR
Still doesn't seem to work on wine unfortunately. I'm guessing it might have to do with Discord not recognizing osu! by itself when ran through wine (I had to add wineserver named as osu! as a custom game for the game display).
EveningBot
Nice
-Yoshino
hmmm, seems very cool
wooden_old_1
this is amazing :D
Ivk0
very nice gg osu! team <3
Awishi
oh naisa

good integration

will be looking forward for more ^ ^
Katxu
THATS TOO COOL OMGGG
Brunoh
This is so good, I can finally beg for spectators on Discord now!
Xx_MITSUKI_xX
Doesn't work for me.
I did everything I can, updating osu! and discord, but discord won't let me share anything at all.
But cool halloween update tho
Bubs

Dylanlbp
owwww lit af
Taoshi
It for some reason didn't work for me and my friend. We tested the invite and ask to join feature. Nothing happens when you press the "Connect" button, but, when we tried "ask to join" it actually responded but nothing happened when we clicked "launch game"
RedDudeOfficial
Nice!
Immortality00
This is dope as heck! Just to clarify, if someone wants to spectate. they need the actual client installed on their own machine right?
CheeseChampagne
yo this is super cool!
Kasumi-sama

Immortality00 wrote:

This is dope as heck! Just to clarify, if someone wants to spectate. they need the actual client installed on their own machine right?
Yes they do.
show more