forum

[New Rule] Rule Breaker

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
You are allowed to break any rule if you have enough kudos. spend 150(or more)kudos per rule break for your map. and BAT will ignore the rule you have chosen to break.
I know that some rules might not be breakable, but this new rule might give some freedom to a experienced mapper.

discuss.
Ephemeral
Not a chance.

Any rule that can theoretically be broken should be a guideline to begin with.
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
I got nuked in 15 secs.. wow... :P
so why not?
Hamuko
Because rules that you are allowed to break aren't rules.
And, 150 kudosu is just an absurd price.
Ephemeral
There is simply no reason for a rule to be broken. Like I said, if it is a rule which can be broken, it should be a guideline to begin with - rendering this entire feature pointless.

When a beatmap is ranked, the bubbles and the act of ranking basically say to the community "this map has a certain level of quality and is expected to be enjoyable". Adding a rule which circumvents this quality control with easily acquired currency pretty much gives the entire process the big finger and tells it to sit in a corner somewhere. Even if an exorbitant amount of kudosu was charged for use of the feature, a prolific mapper/modder could still potentially abuse this feature to no good end.
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
how about this:

If there is a rule the map breaks and BAT thinks it is acceptable, then a total amount of XX will be deducted.
Sakura
Ephemeral has said pretty much what i wanted to express in this thread, if a rule can be broken it should be a guideline, rules should only exist for things that cant be broken in any case after all.
Hamuko
If it is acceptable and makes the map better, why deduct kudosu?
And if it doesn't make the map better I think BATs wouldn't even think it is acceptable.

Basically~

Rules are Rules.
Guidelines are Guidelines.
NoHitter
I don't think kudosu should be used for breaking the rules of the map.

Stop finding excuses to break rules for mapping.
If you think that a certain rule is bad, then make/go to the thread discussing that rule.
LuigiHann
This is a hilarious idea.

I think rules should stay rules, but we should totally charge people for breaking guidelines
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
Alright guys, I think you are right. I personally think that most of the rules are well defined, but I was amazed how some map worked out. While adding this rule may benefit some mapper, but most of the times are being abused.
I think that the osu! editor is very powerful and can make many fun things possible.
but I guess I'm wrong. Osu is Osu. we do not want to change the way we play the game.

If you think that a certain rule is bad, then make/go to the thread discussing that rule.
those no rules are bad, they just sometimes do not cover small majority. will not work, of course.

If no mapper are going to support this, then I guess they don't need it since rules are very nicely done.

Why am I doing this... I shouldn't care about these things if I only plays them, not make them :D (although I do have strong interests)
forgive me, I will stop making these silly posts

final one:
If there are enormous numbers of player supporting a certain map that breaks rule, Mark that map approve able.
HakuNoKaemi
I could've break rules :3

Even, AT LEAST a quarter of the rules ARE guidelineable.
D33d
Jesus Christ, rules are rules for a reason. It doesn't matter how many people and who of them enjoy a map. If it's full of crap, then it should not be countable towards one's score and accuracy.
mm201
Imagine SFG's comeback
HakuNoKaemi
Even, AT LEAST a quarter of the rules ARE guidelineable.
awp

LuigiHann wrote:

This is a hilarious idea.

I think rules should stay rules, but we should totally charge people for breaking guidelines
oh god that made me laugh

I think paying kudos is an awful idea for bending the rules/guidelines. If it's an edge case to begin with, it's already a bad idea and this is in effect "bribing the police". And the police enforce quality control. What does a "Ranked map" mean to random player Foobar if the rules/guidelines are at the mercy of someone's bank account (meaning kudosu in this case)
Qliphoth_old

awp wrote:

What does a "Ranked map" mean to random player Foobar if the rules/guidelines are at the mercy of someone's bank account (meaning kudosu in this case)
This...
SonicFan344
Rules are Rules
Zekira

mm201 wrote:

Imagine SFG's comeback
Holy crap lol
whymeman
....... This is still going?
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
Well I thought this was dead a long time ago but nice to see it is still going :D

about paying a price: I believe people who have enough to pay for it are good mapper to beginning with, and will not break the rule unless it is necessary. When rule breaking needed, it will cost them enough that they will not want to do it again for sometime. so no "random mapper" can break the rule. Only well known mapper who has tons of kudos can do it. I am sure they will not map something ridiculous to damage their reputation (I hope...). so if you happen to be a "random mapper" and want to break rules, you need to do tons of work. even if you did manage to get enough kudos and decided to rank the stupid map, it is still up to the BAT/MAT to decided if it should be ranked/approved or not. If rule breaking are justified, and the map was well made, BAT/MAT should approve the map. What I am hoping to accomplish with this rule is that good maps that breaks rule can still be ranked/approved.

This was under the assumption that BAT/MAT also have the follow the rule/use the rule to approve the maps. If they are free to give some grace, well, ignore this then.

D33d wrote:

Jesus Christ, rules are rules for a reason.
have you ever jaywalking before? ;)

Also it seems all of you just ignore suggestion from my last post :

If there are enormous numbers of player supporting a certain map that breaks rule, Mark that map approve able.
Any Thoughts?
mm201
It's already okay to break the less technical rules if the broken rule makes the map better. On the other hand, if this went through, kudosu farmers would be allowed to intentionally break rules just to troll the community.

Fwiw, large amounts of players can support a map which has mistakes in it. And they would surely continue to support the map once the mistakes are fixed.

The current rule breaking rule is not broken.
arien666
BTW, 150 non-spent kudosu or 150 total kudosu?
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito

mm201 wrote:

Fwiw, large amounts of players can support a map which has mistakes in it. And they would surely continue to support the map once the mistakes are fixed.

The current rule breaking rule is not broken.
I am talking about rule breaking, not about mistakes... I think rule breaking =/= mistakes if you are making "mistakes" intentionally.

arien666 wrote:

BTW, 150 non-spent kudosu or 150 total kudosu?
should be non- spent
RandomJibberish
By definition of a rule, it should not be broken - any time it is broken it is a "mistake" as far as the ranking system is concerned. If you disagree with any given rule being absolute, bring it up it its thread instead of suggesting we allow undermining of all the rules through arbitary kudosu! costs :<
bmin11

RJ wrote:

If you disagree with any given rule being absolute, bring it up it its thread instead of suggesting we allow undermining of all the rules
This is all it need to be said for this thread.
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito

bmin11 wrote:

RJ wrote:

If you disagree with any given rule being absolute, bring it up it its thread instead of suggesting we allow undermining of all the rules
This is all it need to be said for this thread.
So what you are suggesting is that if exceptions do occur, bring it up and discuss among the community if it is acceptable? that could work... But this also should be a rule then.
RandomJibberish
Uh, no, I'm saying that if you have a problem with a specific rule, if you can think of a situation where breaking it would be okay, you should bring it up in it's thread in this forum now. It's what it's here for.

If you don't and can't, then you agree the rule should never be broken in any circumstance, and no amount of kudosu can change that :P
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito

RandomJibberish wrote:

Uh, no, I'm saying that if you have a problem with a specific rule, if you can think of a situation where breaking it would be okay, you should bring it up in it's thread in this forum now. It's what it's here for.
I was having problems with the length of map should be approved or ranked, but after discussion here we decided to just use the score system to indicate if it should be ranked or not. since the rule is still draft, we can do this. imagine if the rule was finalized, and wanted to change something, then this will imply that rules are not absolute. you could say that we can try to prefect the rule before it is finalized, but we cannot predict the future. even in our world, law/rules are subject to change.

Now I want to know, what is the downside of implement such rule!

you guys are worried about some random people might post some ridiculous map and rank them. isn't it up to you guys to decide? if you guys don't want to argue, just tell them to earn those amount of kudos then come back. if kudos is not a good idea, fine. if large amount of community supporting the map, then just let it be. community chooses this. approve it or make another category.

maybe the "rule breaker" name is not a good idea, but I still think what I said still should still need some thought.
bmin11
if exceptions do occur
which should not be the case if it's the rule. We are having discussions on other threads so this won't happen after it's finalized.

bring it up and discuss among the community if it is acceptable?
That's why we have the New Rules Discussion forum.

But this also should be a rule then
Rule that won't be needed if we have enough discussions before we finalize it. Ya, no.

I was having problems with the length of map should be approved or ranked, but after discussion here we decided to just use the score system to indicate if it should be ranked or not. since the rule is still draft, we can do this
Discuss this on the Max Score or Beatmap Length thread so this won't be the case after we finalize the rule.

we can try to prefect the rule before it is finalized, but we cannot predict the future.
If everyone agrees, the rule should be absolute. It's like voting and if people don't discuss before hand, they have little rights to change the rule, unless it's a major problem. And don't forget the approved section. We do have that category for a reason (maps that are rule breaking, but still worth the rank).

what is the downside of implement such rule!
The idea of bribing BAT/MAT with kudosu? Breaking the purpose of Approved Beatmap's existence? Threats on steady ranked difficulty qualities?

isn't it up to you guys to decide?
Which is arguable for the mapper side and leads to fuck tons of drama. We had enough drama for the last year thank you very much.

approve it
There you go. I think we both agreed that gimmicky maps are for approval. I'm happy that we have come to a fine conclusion.
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
If everyone agrees, the rule should be absolute. It's like voting and if people don't discuss before hand, they have little rights to change the rule, unless it's a major problem. And don't forget the approved section. We do have that category for a reason (maps that are rule breaking, but still worth the rank).
the current rule for approved maps are exceptions for score, so it does not do much. if you put it that way, sure. Although I don't fully agree rule breaking must be gimmick maps or vice versa , but at least there is a place they belong...

I loled at the last sentence. nice one :D

The idea of bribing BAT/MAT with kudosu? Breaking the purpose of Approved Beatmap's existence? Threats on steady ranked difficulty qualities?
Not bribing lol, you are not give it to them. you basically spent it.
what is the purpose of Approved Beatmap's existence? so far I see is score and number of map-sets.
Threats on steady ranked difficulty qualities

----- well, i was thinking make those rule breaking map approved. so no threats.
bmin11
I need the link where peppy said he is planning on changing the Approved Beatmaps or whatever.
Soaprman
bmin11

Soaprman wrote:

It's in here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65715
Thanks!

peppy wrote:

To clarify, I propose merging approved into ranked. Some exceptions may have to be made, but most could be waived as "previous standards".
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito
The thread was posted about the same time as this thread so I guess I missed it. If that is the case, I have nothing against it at all.
rule only applies for ranked seems reasonable.

Now, I believe this will cost more drama for BAT for approval maps... Rules for App for gimmicky maps to make less drama? It *might* be a pain. Maybe make a list of ranked rules allowed to break for apps would be easier.

Now I wonder why is that topic not posted here, but as feature request...so I don't have to go though all this...
bmin11
Support from players should be an enough indication for what the map worth it. If the map has no supports from players? The map probably did not take a full advantage from breaking the rule at all, which does not worth as an approved beatmap IMO
Soaprman
I support removing all mapping/storyboarding/skinning rules (basically everything but technical stuff like correct timing or mp3 bitrate) from approved maps. I even made a big post about it in the "Approval maps must follow the same rules as Ranked maps" thread but months have passed and nobody has responded.
mm201
I'll make a new thread for approval stuff. This one should be kept to its original subject.

bmin11 wrote:

Support from players should be an enough indication for what the map worth it. If the map has no supports from players? The map probably did not take a full advantage from breaking the rule at all, which does not worth as an approved beatmap IMO
Player support isn't the gold standard for guideline breaking. I can support a map and still prepare a giant nazi list of mods. Think of modding like the beta testing period of an awesome new game. Yes, it's clearly awesome, but it might still have some kinks to be worked out.
ziin
This thread is about removing rules from approval maps by using kudosu.
bmin11

mm201 wrote:

This one should be kept to its original subject.

ziin wrote:

This thread is about removing rules from approval maps by using kudosu.
Okay, end of discussion.

Anyway, I'm counting on BAT/MAT's opinion for approving and such, not the rule itself. If the map breaks the rule, but if BAT/MAT thinks the map is taking advantage of it and players are showing support for the rule breaking, they should be able to approve the map. Just like when Free Styler got ranked. Yes, it needed a farther discussion to 'justify' it with rules, but it had little problem from the player's side.
Topic Starter
Mashiro Mito

bmin11 wrote:

Anyway, I'm counting on BAT/MAT's opinion for approving and such, not the rule itself. If the map breaks the rule, but if BAT/MAT thinks the map is taking advantage of it and players are showing support for the rule breaking, they should be able to approve the map. Just like when Free Styler got ranked. Yes, it needed a farther discussion to 'justify' it with rules, but it had little problem from the player's side.
Maybe this is what I am trying to say all along... but I guess I got side tracked. :o
mm201
I'll consider this one resolved then. The current system allows what you want without introducing the potential for abuse by kudosu farmers.
Nuked~