forum

[Rules Group] Slider-linked rules

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
Start fighting many guidelines transforming into rules!

Repeat arrows on sliders must be visible. Make sure that hitbursts (100s/300s/etc) from previous notes are not covering any repeat arrows or even the paths/ends of sliders (use the default skin to check if using hitbursts from another skin). This way, all sliders will be easily visible and playable.
We start with this.
It say clarely "I'm a guideline", because in some cases and in a slider dependant manner, slider can say "i'll repeat!" or something like it.
Plus it's moreover a default skin based-rules. As you won't have problems playing with only-number or innerly-empty hitbursts.

Slider anchors/nodes must not be used to manipulate slider speeds (whether they are normal nodes or red ones). Using extra nodes to make a slider "wiggle" is usually fine, but using so many that the slider gets scrunched up (which also makes the sliderball go crazy) or become a "hold slider" is abuse of the hitobject's intended use and is not allowed. AIMod (shortcut ctrl+shift+a) will also point out sliders that move in an "abnormal" way, so make sure to check that if you're unsure of a slider.
I do think it's someway good, sometime, to manipuplate slider speeds(even if not if it's so largely used) with nodes. So, let it become a guideline, and add the "abnormal moving" to the "Every slider must have a clear and visible path to follow from start to end." rule.

Hitcircles must never be hidden under slidertracks. Whether a hitcircle is partially or completely under a slidertrack, it is confusing for the player to read. Insane difficulties are the only exception to this rule.
Can say it's a guideline, why? what's "approach-circle" needed for? A hitcircle put under a slider it's many time confusing, but sometime it provide fun and better gameplay, plus the approach circle make ou see there is a circle under it.
mm201

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

default skin based-rules
Yes. One of the objectives of the rules is to make maps playable with the default skin. It's unfair to force the player to use a skin they don't like just to pass a map.

Circles under sliders are not much different from other kinds of overlaps. They kind of suck but there's no reason to make a rule against them.

Wiggle sliders are okay. Burai sliders and starting/stopping sliders are not.
Shiirn
About the second:

What if i were to make a "vibratio" (as i half-assedly call them) using double slider velocity ticks that covers the same distance as a normal, 1.0x slider of the same duration? it's not using nodes to "manipulate slider velocity", but rather to make an otherwise same length slider have a "vibrating" feel.
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi

mm201 wrote:

HakuNoKaemi wrote:

default skin based-rules
Yes. One of the objectives of the rules is to make maps playable with the default skin. It's unfair to force the player to use a skin they don't like just to pass a map.
even if almost all use a custom skin, actually...

mm201 wrote:

Wiggle sliders are okay. Burai sliders and starting/stopping sliders are not..
Burai Slider are actually mentioned in another rule, start 'n' stopping and hold slider provide a otherwise good effect, if you can use them good, and aren't actually unplayable... So they CAN be discouraged by a guideline, but not be prohibited by a rule.
Manipulating slider speed isn't a wrong use of the object intended use, as you can actually decide the way the slider go.

About the second:

What if i were to make a "vibratio" (as i half-assedly call them) using double slider velocity ticks that covers the same distance as a normal, 1.0x slider of the same duration? it's not using nodes to "manipulate slider velocity", but rather to make an otherwise same length slider have a "vibrating" feel.
Good idea, sometime it's good, some time you only need a slow vibrato.
I don't know if it's actually against the rules, as you're manipulaing velocity, but lessening the effect by doubling velocity.
mm201
Larto does that vibrato thing sometimes. (Look at Oh No!) It's completely rankable.
D33d

mm201 wrote:

Larto does that vibrato thing sometimes. (Look at Oh No!) It's completely rankable.
Though to be fair, that was with gross catmull sliders, unless I'm forgetting about tighter sliders.
Sakura
Once again, make a thread for each rule, instead of multiple rules.