forum

Did I learn to play the wrong way?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kxxtos
Whatever I've done in my life I always feel it's best to just always be on the edge of your comfort zone, especially in gaming. So when I got in to osu seriously like 9 months ago I was never trying to FC this or SS that but rather I would try and pass a song and move up to the next difficulty once I could pass it consistently. My acc has always been super bad and the amount of SSs or even just S ranks I have is super low compared to some >200k players. My highest combo is not even 900 and consistency wise I can't FC a map longer than two minutes. I feel like trying DT is just messing up my play even more now that I've inflated my PP so much, I've gone up over 50k in 3 weeks. I can't stream for shit and I just feel like I've spent 9 months learning how to play osu in a way that's going to limit me later. Any tips to getting meaningful practice so I will improve in the long run rather than just spam my way through some 20 second DT maps.

Edit: sorry for how ranty this got. I just feel like my pp gain isn't my skill improving but rather me just finding and abusing farm maps.
KupcaH
I would suggest to go to 4 star zone, and randomly playing all maps without retrying. Try to get consistent at long 4 star maps.
DeathHydra
I used to be like that as well. I farmed monstrata maps a lot and the high OD really punished me. At some point, I had like 89% acc on my profile. But soon I realized that pp is not everything. So, I stopped farming and try to actually improve at what I lack.

I guess that's what you should do as well. Try to understand what you're lacking at (which you already did) and actually put effort in improving those. Also, I suggest you play all kind of maps. Long map, short map, jump map, stream map, everything.
N0thingSpecial
If play more doesn't work it's time to review your setup
Skidayo
literally same. i hit my limit by playing wrong for so long time.
but i don't think it's a problem if you are having fun.
if you want to improve try to practice basic skills. finger control and reading.
Asteeh
It was the same for me, it still is. I just like playing that way. Playing lower difficulty maps just isn't fun for me. I remember that i used to farm jump maps everyday. Because i could only do jumps I stayed away from streams all together, that resulted in me not being able to stream at all I would miss on every stream. To improve my streaming skill i played allot of stream maps (my favourite one for practice and stamina is euphoria by fort). Pretty much i played only stream maps for a few months. That helped allot. My acc is still shit but it slowly has improved.
ManuelOsuPlayer
There are better ways or worst. But not wrong ways to play.
If you play jump maps, you're going to get good at jumps.
Faye

Im Yoona wrote:

Whatever I've done in my life I always feel it's best to just always be on the edge of your comfort zone, especially in gaming. So when I got in to osu seriously like 9 months ago I was never trying to FC this or SS that but rather I would try and pass a song and move up to the next difficulty once I could pass it consistently. My acc has always been super bad and the amount of SSs or even just S ranks I have is super low compared to some >200k players. My highest combo is not even 900 and consistency wise I can't FC a map longer than two minutes. I feel like trying DT is just messing up my play even more now that I've inflated my PP so much, I've gone up over 50k in 3 weeks. I can't stream for shit and I just feel like I've spent 9 months learning how to play osu in a way that's going to limit me later. Any tips to getting meaningful practice so I will improve in the long run rather than just spam my way through some 20 second DT maps.

Edit: sorry for how ranty this got. I just feel like my pp gain isn't my skill improving but rather me just finding and abusing farm maps.
Yeah, abusing farm maps is good and all once in a while (regardless of what people say, incentivised points DO feel good), but you don't want to do them ALL the time. Otherwise, your rank inflates without you, or so I've observed from other people with the same issue.

A solution to this is just playing more regular maps at 4 - 5* ratings and enjoying the game as a whole. It's good to do a variety of maps from short TV size all the way up to marathons - but judging from what your problem is right now; just stick with those marathons!

Hope you get out of this ingame funk sometime soon! If the game becomes unenjoyable, give it a break for a while and then come back. :D
Topic Starter
Kxxtos

Faye wrote:

Yeah, abusing farm maps is good and all once in a while (regardless of what people say, incentivised points DO feel good), but you don't want to do them ALL the time. Otherwise, your rank inflates without you, or so I've observed from other people with the same issue.

A solution to this is just playing more regular maps at 4 - 5* ratings and enjoying the game as a whole. It's good to do a variety of maps from short TV size all the way up to marathons - but judging from what your problem is right now; just stick with those marathons!

Hope you get out of this ingame funk sometime soon! If the game becomes unenjoyable, give it a break for a while and then come back. :D
Yeah I definitely wish I could just enjoy this game and relax with osu. I've been trying to find more SNSD maps that I enjoy but it does suck having to play unranked maps for fun. Wish we had more kpop (SNSD specifically) mappers.
extravagance
This is how i am and how I still am. I never care about PP or anything. I just want to play harder maps, and i think it does kill you. ive been staying at the 4-4.6 star range and ive been improving.

slowly but im still improving

i still have shit acc though
autoteleology
Everyone learned how to play the wrong way. That's why we all suck. You can't know what's right without knowing what's wrong.

Feeling like you are constantly at your limit and hitting a wall is how you know you are growing. In order to grow, you have to stretch.
Faolan
Many people say the fastest way to improve is to play a combination of maps you can barely pass and maps that aren't easy to FC, but still FCable for your skill level. I guess in the end it's just playing more maps that have areas you're bad at; play more streaming maps if you want to stream better, higher od for better timing, lower cs for better aim, etc.
Aegyo

Faolan wrote:

Many people say the fastest way to improve is to play a combination of maps you can barely pass and maps that aren't easy to FC, but still FCable for your skill level.
Lol what? Your sentence makes no sense.
KupcaH

Aegyo wrote:

Faolan wrote:

Many people say the fastest way to improve is to play a combination of maps you can barely pass and maps that aren't easy to FC, but still FCable for your skill level.
Lol what? Your sentence makes no sense.
-Play maps that you can barely pass
-Play maps that aren't easy to FC, but still FC'able.
What's wrong with that?