forum

[New Guideline] Jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
A "Jump" is an increase on Spacing of some notes that can be used many times in maps. They shouldn't be used in easier difficulty and they should be logically expectable, especially on Hard difficulties.

This should be actually a guideline more because breaking it for a motif could make the map better. if broken without reason, it make a map worser
Shiirn
no shit?
NoHitter
IMO any jump as long as it's intuitive can be included, even in an Easy.
Mismagius
This is pretty much common sense (like some of the already included guidelines/rules).
Ekaru

Blue Dragon wrote:

This is pretty much common sense (like some of the already included guidelines/rules).
Well, it's common sense if you're an experienced mapper. Newbie mappers? Well, nowadays they often see other maps using jumps and then just stick them in their map without understanding how to use them. It doesn't end well.

I do think we need a jump guideline because I see a lot of newb maps that use jumps improperly but the one proposed here is too vague to be helpful. If any of you come up with one that addresses the whole "intuitive" thing, post it here. :P
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
But will someone that started mapping by almost no time have the common sense to know it arleady? they will know if a jump is intuitive or no?
Guidelines can be broken if the common sense is applied, an ultra-intuitive easy jump can be used in easy (even if this case doesn't happen so many times).

Other examples are the maximum SV number and such

EDIT:Ninj'd by Ekaru
To Ekaru: intuitive jumps need for people to at least know how to listen music. I can't find an easy way to explain it.
KRZY

NoHItter wrote:

I agree, and can even give examples, but I think that's why it says "shouldn't be used in easier diffs" and not "must not be used in easier diffs."
NatsumeRin

NoHItter wrote:

80% agree. though i'll probably change "Easy" to "Normal"
mm201
Nope, even Easy counts. I always found it amusing how AiMod barks at this for being a jump, in a 0.72 star Easy:
Topic Starter
HakuNoKaemi
i don't consider this even a jump, actually (even if it could be difficulty if the rest of the Easy has normal spacing)
ziin
Spacing shouldn't be based on x but based instead on x^2 or some exponential of x. a 2.0x 1/4 spacing can be ridiculous. a 4.0x 1/1 spacing is a cakewalk. This is why compressed streams are so awesome. However the linear distances are far too ingrained into our beatmaps, so it's not worth getting rid of.

However this sort of thing does not warrant a rule. These are best gone unwritten and instead only general knowledge, and modders. We can't make a rule or guideline for everything, and the rules are bloated as it is.

mm201: if AIMod is just complaining about inconsistent spacing, that's fine. If it's complaining about it being 12% too far apart, that's a problem.
mm201
Linear spacing has its place. Accelerated spacing has its place. Reverse accelerated spacing has its place.
I almost always use reverse accelerated spacing for 1/2s in Normal, and sometimes 1/4s in Hard. Streams are the exception.
Complicated rhythm patterns are especially yummy with linear spacing.
Sakura
A guideline for jumps is really unnecessary, this should fall under common sense and is already wiped out by modding in every single map to begin with, no can do there.