forum

[New Guideline] Do not use ranked maps to justify your map.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ekaru
BD just brought up something in another topic. We need this guideline, 'nuff said. Here's a first draft:

Don't use ranked maps to justify your map. The ranking system is not perfect; things that should have been picked up in the modding process are not always caught. Also, the ranking standards change frequently; what was allowed 3 months ago is not always allowed today. Therefore, ranked maps are not always a good indicator of what is rankable and should not be used to justify your map. If the best you can come up with is, "Another map did it!", you should probably rethink what you're doing.
Shiirn
HAVE MY BABIES

Don't use ranked maps to justify any rules or guidelines your map breaks. The ranking system is not perfect; things that should have been picked up in the modding process are not always caught. Also, the ranking standards change frequently; what was allowed 3 months ago is not always allowed today. Therefore, past ranked maps are not always a good indicator of what is currently rankable and should not be used to justify any rules or guidelines your map breaks. If the best you can come up with is, "Another map did it!", you should probably rethink what you've made.

maybe throw in some sly quip about how "the other mapper wasn't an idiot and did it right and you didn't" but that'd be mean
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Yeah, I like that better.

And too bad we can't put in that sly quip, because it's so true. :(
Sakura
I dont think this requires a guideline, as this isnt a guideline for mapping criteria rather more a guideline on what not to do when replying to modders, and that goes to another topic (which peppy was supposedly working on one day when he mentioned it in #modhelp)

This reminds me whatever happened to the ranking flow chart that was meant for this one document?
Shiirn
I deigned it too complex.
KRZY

Sakura Hana wrote:

I dont think this requires a guideline, as this isnt a guideline for mapping criteria rather more a guideline on what not to do when replying to modders, and that goes to another topic (which peppy was supposedly working on one day when he mentioned it in #modhelp)

This reminds me whatever happened to the ranking flow chart that was meant for this one document?
I agree, this is not a mapping guideline. Shouldn't be in there.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Sakura Hana wrote:

I dont think this requires a guideline, as this isnt a guideline for mapping criteria rather more a guideline on what not to do when replying to modders, and that goes to another topic
Incorrect.

It's a guideline that says, when mapping, to never do something just because another map did it. If it works in your map too, do it, sure, but you should never use it as a reason to put something in your map when mapping.

This is because, when mapping, you should never do something that you can't justify later on. In that case you goofed up.

EDIT: It's definitely not required though, it's just a suggestion.
HakuNoKaemi
It is really usefull as a guideline, so it remove the "this map have it" argue and make the mapper search if the real motive for breaking a guideline isn't just his stubborness.
mm201
It is unfortunate but necessary to have this.
It doesn't serve any actual purpose, but hopefully will discourage some mapper stubbornness.
GigaClon
I mostly agree with this although it would depend on how objective/subjective the issue and how long ago it was. I would expect that 3 months would not have such a wide swing in opinion.
Sakura
Bump!, so we should add this or not, i still think it's more like common sense, but yeah.... mm201 does have a point.
ziin
We need a 3rd section for recommendations where this could be added. IMO using ranked maps as a justification might not always be a "justification", but a "hey this one did this too, are we sure it's a bad idea?" It's one thing to whine and complain that this map got ranked so mine should too (it's common sense that you shouldn't do that). It's another thing to use a previous map as an example to clarify. It could be that the way that map did it was perfectly fine, but not in your map. Who knows.

To be honest, mapper stubbornness does nothing but hurt the mapper, especially when arguing with the person who will eventually rank their map.