forum

Forcing Mods on a Song Through Editing

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Zatoichi
I'd like the ability to do this. I think I'd be pretty good, as long as people didn't abuse this make the map hard without putting an effort into it.

When I say "forcing mods", I mean like making the song always play Sudden Death, or Flashlight.

Sudden Death would be a must for those who want to make a "one hit kill" map without making the HP Drain at the highest setting.

Download: Tchikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Night_Side) [Insane hitsounds].osu
Gemi
This is sort of what the Marathon mode is in dance games, where the creator creates mod combos for songs. These are however a different play mode, not just regular maps which always have mods on them, and if implemented to osu then that's how it should be done, since not everyone likes to play with mods.

The thing that makes marathons so fun is when people come up with inventive combos of mods that really fit the music and make the playing interesting. With osu the mod selection is very limited so it wouldn't be that great either. It could be implemented, but imo it isn't worth the time.
Topic Starter
Zatoichi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
MaxwellDemon

Zatoichi wrote:

ignore the beatmap and play a different one that they would enjoy.
Imagine if that person love that song, and it turned out someone put a HardRock mod on it~

At the moment, I think osu! is trying to aim at making beatmaps friendly and open to all sort of players... That might just be me though. :P
Echo
There's no point in forcing Easy/Hard Rock anyway, since you can make a map that works exactly the same way already.
Gemi

Zatoichi wrote:

>I think it'd be pretty good, as long as people didn't abuse this to make the map harder without putting any effort into it.

I'm not saying that every map should use them. I'm not saying this would make the maps like Marathon. I just think it should be an option for beatmaps to make them stand out.

Although I realize not everyone is a fan of certain mods, they could always just ignore the beatmap and play a different one that they would enjoy.
Basically the way we can have this without forcing people to play the maps is to add a new play mode like the marathons in dance games like I said earlier. I'm against adding this feature to the regular game mode and regular maps, even though it might be cool if used sparingly, since I know that everyone and (their mother) would want to use the new possibility immediately, and even one or two such maps might be bad for some players.
YoshiKart
I'm indifferent on this, however, you could probably make it so that those mods are required to get a ranked score. Don't make it so the song is completely unenjoyable to the player.
Saturos
This may just be my lack of editor feature ignorance speaking, but isn't this already possible? I know there are maps out there made for Taiko that force the Taiko mod onto the map.
ash
Only for Taiko, and Taiko isn't ranked. :(

I don't think this is a good idea. Shouldn't you rely more on frequency/spacing of beats rather than mods to make your map more difficult?