forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Round 52: Double Spinners

posted
Total Posts

Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Read post before answering)

5 - Love Them!
8.67%
4 -
11.38%
3 -
28.46%
2 -
24.66%
1 - Hate Them!
26.83%
Total votes: 369
Topic Starter
NoHitter
Round 51: Double Spinners

Nominated by Lilac. A technique where you use two spinners in a row, usually to make a hitsound for the next spinner without the use of a circle or Pre-Spinner Note. There are ranked maps which use 3 in a row but are less common. The common usage of this technique is either before a break or near the end of a song.

Map(s) that use this technique
Dragonforce - Fury Of The Storm mapped by Lesjuh
Pendulum - Watercolour mapped by Larto
Alex C. feat. Yasmin K. - Angel of Darkness (Nightcore Mix) mapped by Lilac

~Mapping Technique Nominations~
SYSEN
i. . .
hate spinners
NatsumeRin
won't use it unless i can't find another way.
Shadow
I'd think it depends on the song/beats mostly.

In most cases its not such a good idea, but in others its nice.
Jarby
These are pretty cool unless the second spinner is particularly short or otherwise unpredictable. In that case, I direct the nearest screwdriver to Larto's eye sockets.
artpiggo
I don't think it's a good idea at any songs.
There should be other ways to replace them.
Otherwise, use long spinner without fracture it.
Sure

ShadowLord wrote:

Raging Bull
Don't really like it. 1
D33d

Jarby wrote:

These are pretty cool unless the second spinner is particularly short or otherwise unpredictable. In that case, I direct the nearest screwdriver to Larto's eye sockets.
This so fucking much. If anything like that occurs to get the player all flustered, then the mapper should at least have the courtesy not to follow it, one beat (OR EVEN A HALF OF A BEAT) later, with more festive patterns.

It can be cool. I did use it in 'Footloose', before realising that I could just have spinners followed immediately by patterns. However, I often find that it's needlessly awkward and sliders could be used instead. Or even regular-ass patterns.
eldnl
With hidden are very hard to read @.@
lepidopodus

ShadowLord wrote:

:3
RandomJibberish
Don't use these a lot myself, but they can work very nicely when they aren't unpredictable and annoying.

readysteadygoreadysteadygo
Lybydose
Best when the 2nd spinner is either shorter or longer than the 1st one. Boring otherwise.
xsrsbsns
I generally like them because when used fittingly, they play amazingly good and really add to the song.
winber1

ShadowLord wrote:

I've actually used this technique only once, i think, but only because it fits, otherwise this technique really shouldn't be used imo, and there aren't many places where i can think of that two spinners fit quite well either, tho i can be proven incorrect. if the two spinners are going to be the same length as Lybydose said, you could probably do something more interesting. I also don't really like seeing 3 or more spinners, and i feel you probably could do somethign more interesting, but then again, it's probably cuz i suck at spinners.
FireballFlame
Can be pretty cool, if they aren't too surprising.
Mercurial
Boring
Shiirn
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
mm201
They were neat in Tigerlily. You have to know when to use them and not use them out of place.
Lilac
I'm guilty as hell for liking them and using them too much...

...That said, 3.5234521134453.
Verdisphena
I don't think necessary this "mapping technique", just make a long spinner.

Sure

Shiirn wrote:

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
My map has two double spinners. ;_;

SPOILER
ATTACH[Screenshot_(2011-09-17_at_10.00.21).png]Followed vocal, but there is a cymbal sound that hard to ignore.

ATTACH[Screenshot_(2011-09-17_at_10.00.58).png]WTH timing. ヾ(*`Д´*)ノ

It isn't shit always... :(

aston_old
(ノ `Д`)ノ ︵ ┻━━┻

I actually like them. 4~
if used well, plskty.
Hanyuu
I hate this :o
Glass
lame/5
Jenny
Quite nice if well placed, but unfitting in most cases, so referring to the good ones: 4/5
D33d
I'd like to add a personal note here, pertaining to when I had used triple spinners Ready Steady Go style, only to realise that I could break them up with actual patterns. My point is that, where double spinners are used, they usually skip over a solid chunk of mappable content.
Rukario
I like to refer to them as Larto end-map spinners. And I blame me for loving them.
ziin
I voted 3. No more than 2 in a row plz. And if both of them are 2000 autos, TOO FUCKING SHORT. but if it's longer than like 5 seconds total, it's way too long.
Lilac
I like this guy.
mm201
Scorpiour
I thought it is awful ....
Firo Prochainezo
Depends.
nrl
Honestly, they shouldn't be necessary. I find spinners on the whole to be quite tiresome, but they definitely have their place. Double spinners, however, indicate to me that the mapper was out of options, and couldn't come up with a pattern to fit that particular passage, so they defaulted to a double spinner.

Some people like them in certain songs, but I feel that a well thought-out pattern beats a spinner every time. 1/5
alex_98
as long as it is fitting in rythm
show more