forum

hi why do i do better when im not thinking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shreebo
I noticed that i do significantly much better (like getting much bigger combos) when im thinking about something else, like the last anime i watched or what im going to eat for dinner. but when im actually focusing on osu! death staring the circles, i tend to miss more often, why is that? you cant purposely not think either because, you know, you just cant do that. When im conscious of a high combo, i think "damn i cant miss right now", then boom, i miss
Skeletroll
Because your body is going through the motions it has learned without your brain trying to calculate anything. When you try to think about what you are doing, that is when miscalculation sets in. But when you just let it happen, your body will do what it remembers the best it can.
Topic Starter
Shreebo

Skeletroll wrote:

Because your body is going through the motions it has learned without your brain trying to calculate anything. When you try to think about what you are doing, that is when miscalculation sets in. But when you just let it happen, your body will do what it remembers the best it can.
would focusing on one thing help? like just focusing on accuracy, or thinking about the patterns?
Skeletroll
When you are trying to fix or improve one thing in particular you should focus on that thing. Otherwise don't try to think too hard about what you are doing because no matter how much you mentally want to do better your body can only do what it knows from muscle memory and repetition. Basically if you are trying to do better on a specific thing, focus on it, if you are on a part where you don't have to think about it, let your body click the circles, it knows what it's doing.
Edgar_Figaro
Thinking about the result is the problem. Honestly the best thing is to not think and simply "focus"
Deva
Meditating can help you learn how to focus on game and nothing more

Most people aren't willing to spend a few minutes a day doing literally nothing though
KupcaH

HK_ wrote:

Meditating can help you learn how to focus on game and nothing more

Most people aren't willing to spend a few minutes a day doing literally nothing though
Tamako Lumisade
If you focus, you usually care too much. Your muscles can't relax, so you are more open to mistakes.
Edgar_Figaro

Husky wrote:

If you focus, you usually care too much. Your muscles can't relax, so you are more open to mistakes.
I'd agree and disagree. Thinking and focusing are two separate things. Thinking is bad but focusing is good
Ryoid

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

I'd agree and disagree. Thinking and focusing are two separate things. Thinking is bad but focusing is good
Whats the different of thinking and focusing anyway?
Nattsun
I'm performing way better if I think about nothing and only pay attention to the music.
Edgar_Figaro
Thinking your mind is active

Focusing you don't have to think about what you are doing and let your subconscious take control. Your eyes and hands know what to do much better than your mind once you get to a certain point. (This doesn't apply to brand new players where you have to think about clicking circles)

It is still better to focus though instead of letting your mind wander as you will often be caught off guard as you are only half paying attention and then some unusual pattern will come around that you didn't expect.
FlipSide82
that is how i am too XD