forum

High ranked players, robo-ish movements?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kanade_old
This isn't hack-accusation, by the way. :D

I was just wondering. Whenever I watch a replay of a high-ranked player they sort of stop for a really small time at every note and then move to the next one really fast. Is this cause of the replay or do they really play ''one note at a time''? Cause when I see a row of notes I'll just slide over it and press Z on the way instead of micro-stopping at every note.

Just curious cause it does seem like a way more accurate way to play though, I don't think I'd be able to keep up with certain beatmaps if I were to try it like that.
Cheer-no
Yes, it's probably a replay thing. Replays aren't recorded in real time, just really close to it, so sometimes there'll be strange, jerky movements in some of them.
Topic Starter
Kanade_old

Cheer-no wrote:

Yes, it's probably a replay thing. Replays aren't recorded in real time, just really close to it, so sometimes there'll be strange, jerky movements in some of them.
Hmm I see.

Though, When I watch my own replays there's no such thing so atleast something's different I guess.
Waryas
I call it "jolting" or "snapping" to notes and most skilled players do it to make sure they don't miss a note on patterns specially.
Triskelion91
I notice that whenever I "draw" a star during breaks, when I watch the replay - it doesn't make the star shape. :(
Daru
It depends on the player, really.
I do it occasionally if I'm trying for an SS, so that I don't have to worry about placement, only timing.

Usually I play fluidly - trying to draw curves between sequences of notes and tapping at the right moments - but I don't believe it's a replay artifact, since I consciously do this myself sometimes.
Sup A Noob
I once tried playing with fluidness. But then I realised it won't last me in the (much) higher level maps, so I started snapping around, with the exception of circles arranged in a huge round circle since I use a mouse.

More fun too, it seems.
Topic Starter
Kanade_old
I guess I'll try playing like that then.

Thanks for all the responses. :)
Mismagius

Triskelion91 wrote:

I notice that whenever I "draw" a star during breaks, when I watch the replay - it doesn't make the star shape. :(
Like this, for me. When I'm on breaks, I start spinning my cursor around the screen, however when watching the replay it just looks like robotic movements going up and down.
Shiirn
this is due to the very small sampling the replay system uses.
OzzyOzrock
Whenever I try being fluid it always ends up with me having to get lucky, so I don't do it. I can jolt because my tablet area's small and it only takes a flick of the wrist to get to.
mm201
I'm no pro, but I find myself accelerating when I get close to an object. This makes me miss less since I always pass over the target object, and just need to click at the right time, as opposed to missing it entirely if I just glided along smoothly. This methodology leads to cursor dancing.

What you're seeing could also be the use of a tablet.
Wishy
Skilled players do what Jesus called snapping, you basically "play note by note" instead of thinking about the whole pattern, which is why you go, stop in one hit, and after hitting it think about the next one and go for it, of course this does not apply to streams. Playing like that needs better reflexes and possibly aim. Whenever you watch mouse players you gonna notice the snapping really easier, even I when playing mouse (and again I have almost no experience playing with mouse) find myself snapping every note, when using tablet you tend to do everything in a circular motion for some reason (I had trouble doing any kind of square/diamond pattern with tablet, felt easier with mouse till I started snapping), but with time you end up avoiding this issue and start snapping.
Cheer-no
Also, if you're playing with Flashlight, just about everyone does that - it's nearly required!
those
Snapping undoubtedly makes it more accurate. The faster you get there, the more time you have to make sure you click to the beat.
Chuggles
IMO, it's the tablet user's snapping actions amplified with the replay effect... I do it with my tablet all the time to make sure I don't mess up on simple beats (and I do that ALL the time anyway :P), and it certainly improves precision, and accuracy. You can also focus more on getting the timing right if your cursor is already over the circle, and it sets out each note into a more logical process (Move to note -> Hit Note -> Repeat) instead of (Move and Hit -> Hope for a 300).
CXu
Actually, just do whatever you feel works best for that set of hitcircles. If it's easier to just slider the cursor over them (like in some smooth curvey pattern), then do so. If snapping or w/e you wanna call it is easier (Like a zig-zag pattern or squares), then do that.
seasonS

JesusYamato wrote:

I call it "jolting" or "snapping" to notes and most skilled players do it to make sure they don't miss a note on patterns specially.
I do that. I wouldnt call myself skilled but still, the little *twitch twitch* of my hand sometimes on notes xD.
D33d
Tracing the follow circles and snapping to each note is definitely a good habit to get into. I only really move my mouse smoothly when there's a long stream or curved pattern.
Hikaros
hahaha nice necrobump