forum

osu! Opening Animation

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Daru
This is the project thread for the osu! OP.
Suggestions regarding the active project stage are encouraged - feel free to post any comments, suggestions, or concept drawings or storyboards of your own!

The project will move much more smoothly if more people are able to help! We would need people experienced with animation in After Effects as well as animation in general, 3D modelling, and digital painting, but even if you do not consider yourself an artist, you can still help! Please post here stating your interest in helping, and be aware that you may not be called upon for quite some time depending on what you want to help with and the speed of production.

Project stages - animation:

> Storyboard
> 3D modelling references
> Proof/rough animation
> Lineart
> Solid colors
> Backgrounds
> Detailing

Music will be made concurrently with the Storyboards and Proof/Rough Animation

The music would have to be developed and finalized during the proof/rough animation stage, and cannot be altered significantly after that. I would also appreciate that nobody map the song until the animation is finished.

Storyboards:

For now, I'm going to draw them out as follows, according to Loginer's idea:

> Pippi entering dark room.
- Crosses arms, holds chin.
- Grins.

> Starts setting up stuff. The order to be determined.
- sweeping the stage
- raising curtains
- turning on/setting up spotlights
- Placing down equipment (smoke machines, teleprompter, etc.)
- painting (stuff)
- opening boxes

- amps
- piano
- drums
- bass/guitar plugs
- computers

> Pippi putting on headphones.
- smiling, pan up or zoom out
- osu! logo

From here, a gameplay trailer could be made by extending the song and putting gameplay footage after this point, inturrepted by pippi performing on stage, with possible references to gameplay (virtual sliders she runs her finger across, etc.).

Also, an extended opening could have her standing, facing the stage (in the pit or somewhere close), with the camera facing her, the swing around to show the stage, which would cut to her performing a verse or two, then panning up into the stage lights and showing the osu! logo.

Storyboards and concept sketches:

Mara
Sounds interesting. I'll start stalking this thread.
Wylo
Or maybe a short (pre-rendered) animation of the logo that fades in to the menu at the end.
Randy96
Someone with pro video skills could take tidbits of gameplay and screenshots and splice them together in a neat OP fashion
akrolsmir
I'd love to help, but I doubt I can contribute usefully... How about...

I'll pledge $25 to a charity of the choice of whoever gets this done. Or an osu! yearlong subscription, take your pick.
Zhanger_old
i'm not much of an artist, but i wish you the best of luck :)
Nekoroll
If the format of the opening will be hand drawn, I can lay down all base colors to any provided lineart for every frame.

I'm also experienced with basic to intermediate 3DSMAX (can't make medium to high-poly custom models, but can skeleton and animate) as well as video editing, text animation and AfterEffects. However, I still find that a hand-drawn (or skilled flash animation) opening would be better suited for the game than a 3D one.
Topic Starter
Daru
My idea for the animation is that Pippi is sitting in her room listening to music or maybe playing osu!, then puts down her headphones and steps outside. She's walking in regular clothes, but then sees a pulsating osu! logo on a wall. She looks at it for a while, then presses it, and the music starts (or the music is all tinny like you'd hear from headphones, but it becomes full once she presses the logo). From there, she sees hitcircles start popping up, and she proceeds to run around pressing them. Every now and then there will be a cut to a shot of her performing the song with a band on stage, and toward the end, Pippi will press a hitcircle and look up, to see that she's on a stage, and is given a microphone. From there, and the song's last verse or something is sung in this context.
Roga-don
... o.o

It looks great but... Good luck for doing such a great opening xD
OzzyOzrock
AI WO, KOMETE, SURA SUUURA TO NE
Loginer
Yeah, this could be a lot of fun if it gets off the ground. 3DCG's my forte, which makes me best suited for creating backgrounds if we're going for something hand-drawn. Reposting idea from the other thread:

Loginer wrote:

The video [could] focus on Pippi preparing for her next performance. It'd be something like the loading screens in Rock Band 3, except much longer.
Randy96

Daru wrote:

My idea for the animation is that Pippi is sitting in her room listening to music or maybe playing osu!, then puts down her headphones and steps outside. She's walking in regular clothes, but then sees a pulsating osu! logo on a wall. She looks at it for a while, then presses it, and the music starts (or the music is all tinny like you'd hear from headphones, but it becomes full once she presses the logo). From there, she sees hitcircles start popping up, and she proceeds to run around pressing them. Every now and then there will be a cut to a shot of her performing the song with a band on stage, and toward the end, Pippi will press a hitcircle and look up, to see that she's on a stage, and is given a microphone. From there, and the song's last verse or something is sung in this context.
Sounds great

Quaraezha
If you guys ever need any graphic elements like the ones you see in osu!monthly, do call me. I'd love to contribute my art to the Opening Animation Project.
MMzz

OzzyOzrock wrote:

AI WO, KOMETE, SURA SUUURA TO NE
moe
Topic Starter
Daru
If mine and Loginer's ideas are the only ideas, should we start discussing which one to use and refinements to each?
Any more ideas are welcome as well.
Loginer

Loginer wrote:

If the previous fifteen community projects are anything to go by, everyone will just spend two weeks working on ideas before losing motivation.
See what I mean?

I'll post something constructive in a few hours.
pixeldesu

Daru wrote:

This idea is very nice , but how do you want to make something like this , it will take years to make this. :D
Raging Bull
Make Pippy sing bad apple.
Roga-don
you shoud better use some remix of the osu! tutorial song ! ;)
pixeldesu

Roga-don wrote:

you shoud better use some remix of the osu! tutorial song ! ;)
nice idea , but who would remix the osu! tutorial song... :shock:
show more