forum

Recommended difficulty makes no sense!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro
So I am an all-modes player and since there is no Tillerino for modes other than standard I like using the recommended difficulty on the website to determine good maps for me to play. The problem I've started noticing is that in some gamemodes it gives me really stupid suggestions.

Standard: Recommended difficulty 4.62* (Ok this makes sense as most my current top plays are around that)
Taiko: Recommended difficulty 6.73* (Also seems pretty reasonable based on current best scores)
CTB: Recommended difficulty 5.03* (Wait what? I just got my #1 CTB score yesterday and it was 4.45*, highest star FC so far. How is 5.03 in my range?)
Mania: Recommended difficulty 6.03* (This one is just hilarious. I've never even passed a 6* map in Mania)
sangu
For Tillerino use command "!r" + mod combo

For example for HR you would type: !r HR
Or for HRHD: !r HDHR
For DT: !r DT

ect for any mod combo you want

*edit messed up, didn't read question correctly
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro
Not talking about mods but the other gamemodes

Tillerino only supports Osu standard. I was more wondering why the recommended difficulty on the website is so bizzare.
Endaris
The quality of the recommended difficulty correlates wtih the quality of the modes SR/pp-system I'd say.
Also not sure how it handles converts since these are all "minigames" meaning there wasn't much energy put in their support.
Yuudachi-kun
You thinking star rating is meaningful or relevant in osu mania
HAHAAHG

My reccomended is 7.51*

Large hadron collider OP is 4.8* because osu star rating is a complete fucking mess that doesn't mean anything. LHC's OP is slightly above my stamina level

Diva 1.2 is 7.75* and is just quadjack spam

I can't even play jacks that well and I can get an A on it.
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro
Just for the record can people actually post helpful comments as to why the algorithm is screwy and not just bash other gamemodes as mini-games or make fun of me for thinking star rating matters?

I get we are all entitled to our opinions and I know the memes but if you don't have anything useful to say in regards to the question please don't bother. It's just irritating.

I will grant that Endaris may be slightly right as it probably has something to do with PP and probably judges star rating you should play based on PP. which I'd assume that they may indeed be lazy and just base it on Osu Standards algorithm and not specific to the mode in question (which would be really dumb but makes sense for the problem shown)
Yuudachi-kun
Its only based on note density so spam jumptrills or wuadjacks = high star rating

Actual difficult patterns that are less dense dont get sr

Basically you cant be sure how hard anything is based on sr in mania except for how many jumptrills it contains
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro

Yuudachi-kun wrote:

Its only based on note density so spam jumptrills or wuadjacks = high star rating

Actual difficult patterns that are less dense dont get sr

Basically you cant be sure how hard anything is based on sr in mania except for how many jumptrills it contains
Not the thing that is in question here. Just asking about why recommend difficulty gives star ratings that don't make sense. Not if star ratings on specific songs are/are not justified.
Yuudachi-kun
Because anything other than std is a mini game to the osu devs and isnt given proper attention
ManuelOsuPlayer

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

Not talking about mods but the other gamemodes

Tillerino only supports Osu standard. I was more wondering why the recommended difficulty on the website is so bizzare.
It's no sense. Recommend me 5'7-6'3 maps when my toprank It's a 5* 90% acc Wtf.

Maybe the recommend diff It's the one the game think you are able to pass. Not the one to farm.
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Maybe the recommend diff It's the one the game think you are able to pass. Not the one to farm.
See I might think that except the behavior is different in each mode. Like in Taiko my top PP score is a 7.5* Map + HR FC (granted this is a really easy PP map in Taiko) and it gives me a rating of 6.73*. At 6.73* I would assume it's trying to give me maps it thinks I can gain PP from as getting scores on maps at that level would certainly give good PP but wouldn't be my #1 score.

Yet when I go to CTB my top PP score is on a 4.45* map and it gives me 5.03* as the suggestion. Which if I were to play stuff around that level and actually Full Combo it would be my new top play.

Also just looking at your Osu Standard stats it's very bizzare the game would recommend you maps from 5.7~6.3 when it recommends me maps averaging of 4.62* when I have more PP & a higher top PP play in Osu Standard. Just curious what is the exact star rating recommended number it gives you at the top when you select recommended difficulty?

From what I've seen from looking at Taiko maps it does & does not recommend me it seems to recommend anything within ±0.5* from the number it gives at the top.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

See I might think that except the behavior is different in each mode. Like in Taiko my top PP score is a 7.5* Map + HR FC (granted this is a really easy PP map in Taiko) and it gives me a rating of 6.73*. At 6.73* I would assume it's trying to give me maps it thinks I can gain PP from as getting scores on maps at that level would certainly give good PP but wouldn't be my #1 score.

Yet when I go to CTB my top PP score is on a 4.45* map and it gives me 5.03* as the suggestion. Which if I were to play stuff around that level and actually Full Combo it would be my new top play.

Also just looking at your Osu Standard stats it's very bizzare the game would recommend you maps from 5.7~6.3 when it recommends me maps averaging of 4.62* when I have more PP & a higher top PP play in Osu Standard. Just curious what is the exact star rating recommended number it gives you at the top when you select recommended difficulty?

From what I've seen from looking at Taiko maps it does & does not recommend me it seems to recommend anything within ±0.5* from the number it gives at the top.
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/456237 I'm Not kidding. The first one.
Ummm maybe It's because i play a lot some easy higher * and pass like airman. So the game think I'm alloweed to play properly 7-8* and give me 5-6* to farm since i pass 7-8*? It's the only sense what i can find.
Topic Starter
Edgar_Figaro

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Ummm maybe It's because i play a lot some easy higher * and pass like airman. So the game think I'm alloweed to play properly 7-8* and give me 5-6* to farm since i pass 7-8*? It's the only sense what i can find.
Ah, ok well just because the mapset has a 6.91* map doesn't mean that's the difficulty the game is recommending for you. It has a bunch of lower star difficulty maps as well. But there is a number that the game puts as your "Recommended" star value right at the top center. Which is what it judges based on.
If you see some recommendations that only have a single difficulty, it's more indicative of what the game is recommending for you as it couldn't be anything else.
ManuelOsuPlayer

Edgar_Figaro wrote:

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Ah, ok well just because the mapset has a 6.91* map doesn't mean that's the difficulty the game is recommending for you. It has a bunch of lower star difficulty maps as well. But there is a number that the game puts as your "Recommended" star value right at the top center. Which is what it judges based on.
If you see some recommendations that only have a single difficulty, it's more indicative of what the game is recommending for you as it couldn't be anything else.
Ohhh, I'm dumb, excuse me. 4'13* It's my recommend value. It's probably something similar to the average of my first 100 topranks *.
Endaris
I was not bashing, it is not my fault that they used to be regarded that way. ""
abraker
At least for mania, what I think is going on is that you passed a high star map like Triumph and Regret, which is 5.45*, there is are not many 5* ranked close to a bit above that range. The next best thing it give you is some 6*