forum

Too high star rating

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Mantis-
Hello!

Im confused. I'm currently working on my map, just finished hard and now working on normal.
But...my normal map got 4 stars just like my hard, altough i have put the difficulty settings down, so it shows me a approximate ranking of 3 stars. Are there other factors that influence the difficulty ranking? How can i change it?
Thanks for your help in advance!
James2250
The difficulty settings are only 1 of the minor thing that effect the star rating of the map. Of course the star rating at the moment is not particually accurate so getting it perfect can be fairly difficult but there are several ways to help make it lower.

When mapping easier difficulties try and use some more sliders than hitcircles compared to the harder difficulties. You can try turning the Slider Velocity down more to make it easier to follow. Normally easier difficulties will have more breaks in the map which can decrease the star rating. Also go through and make sure their aren't too many notes in 1 area/not too many short spinners etc.

If you slowly go through and keep changing the harder parts of the map the star rating will slowly go down as well ~
Ekaru
The biggest factor is your map's hit object density; that is, the total amount of hit objects during the map's drain time.

For example, to get an Easy with a star rating of 1 or 2, you don't want to put a hit object every beat; you want to create a good flow with as few hit objects as possible. This involves nice, long sliders

Similarly, for a 3-star Normal you want to use a moderate amount of hit objects, but nothing crazy. When there's a rest in the music, have a rest in your map, for example, and take full advantage of long sliders. Larto Normals are an extremely good example; go look some of them up yourself.

Here's a good example:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24685

Basically, for easier difficulties, focus on the quality of the hit object placement, not the quantity, and your star rating will drop dramatically. Yes, this requires putting effort into your Easy/Normal. No, it's not nearly as difficult as it seems.
Topic Starter
-Mantis-
Wow, thanks alot for the great answers! The osu! community is the friendliest and most helpful community I've ever seen since i'm on the internet.

Well, now i know, what i have to do to reduce the difficulty, so i'll continue mapping immediatly :)
Big thanks for your detailed help!