forum

How much time per day should one play to master the game?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CommanderHana
It is absolutely not true, but suppose one is ready to give up every other aspect of life, how much time per day is optimal for becoming a pro?
Xact
As with anything, ultimately it just takes time. I think it's pretty impossible to play this game 24/7 to rush getting better because your fingers will need downtime to recuperate.

Experience in other rhythm games can some what help speed up the process of learning Osu, but really what it comes down to is learning patterns and the ability to read maps, which just comes in time. If I HAD to put a number on it, I'd say at the least a couple of months playing a few hours a day for the ability to play insane maps (more or less depending on your background in gaming) and even more to become a "pro". There's so many variables that its something you can't really put a timeline on.

Just play Osu and have fun. You'll be a pro by just doing that :) (no seriously)
Waryas
I've been playing 3-4h of DT/day for the past 2months.
Hika
You should be like me. 2 months playing standard 24/7. LOLJK. Don't be like me.
A8mew
The easy answer:

Look up Cookiezi, go to his Historical Statistics, repeat for Rucker, Doomsday, Lesjuh, KRZY, etc.

That much.
S o r c e r y
for me, i play 2~3 hours per day,but i think that's not enough, so, i am not good at osu XD , i think we should play 4~5 hours/day,that's enough, but i think the most essential thing is your genius in this game
higurush
I don't care how much hours I play a day, I just have fun, and that's all :)
Anyways.. It's better if you play the maps you can do to an S rang, and just play. After a short or long time, depends on you, You will definitely be able to gain reflexes on maps. So, you can play a map without even caring about the beatmap, and just looking at the background as I am doing on most of the map ^__^

Just have fun, that's all :)
OzzyOzrock
24/7 don't stop, bro
Wishy
Doesn't matter, just play challenging stuff.
SilentWings_old
Iunno man, but if you want to become even more godlike than Cookiezi, I suggest u train like bw pros, aka 14 hours a day for years.

Of course those guys get payed to play but if you are really serious, play as much as you can. Minimize other tasks in your life such as sleep etc to grind longer on osu.

Ya I am serious.
SapphireGhost

Be like me.
Satonaka
1337 times.
Ikillforpies
over 9000 times.
Waryas
at least 9000s/day
ziin
starting from scratch, it would take me approx 1500 hours to get to where I'm at right now. from here, it would take me 3-4000 hours to be the best, like no one ever was.

I'd need a tablet though.
those
The instant you can accurately answer that question, you've become a pro.
hinamizawan
5 hours is fine.
Shael_old
diffrent from person to person
Jalatiphra
its important to practice every day. or at least on a regular basis. that way you dont have to re-learn things

in my oppinion it doesnt matter if you play one or five hours a day....
but play regularly and at least an hour or more.

i dont like to talk in hours play, but in map plays/tries ( your personal play counter)

you should be able to do hard maps after about 500 to 1500 plays ( of course only if you dont retry after 10 seconds all the time :-) )

you can rush insane maps as soon as you have understanding of the following:

bpm and what it means in osu ,
fluent reading of maps -> no more "looking" where you need to go next.. if you flow with the map, you most likely can do it on insane difficulty too. -> if you play hardmaps S on first try you have completed the most frustrating step of the learning curve ;)

that took me about 5000 plays

the rest ist learning to aim, jump and stream.
-> you can allways get better at that, even after 100000 plays.
example: whereas i can read the jaketey sax without problems (~250 bpm if i remember) my mousehand cant really keep up, but thats hopefully to change:)
Meowcenaries

those wrote:

The instant you can accurately answer that question, you've become a pro.
I'mma go with this guy
Wishy
From my experience, when I quitted osu! because I started playing L2 (again...) I used to play just an hour or two tops every 3 or 4 days, it was quite amazing how I improved by not playing... if you want to become a pro FAST then you gonna have to play A LOT like 5 or 6 hours a day of challenging stuff, but you can get good by playing like 1 hour per day. All you got to do is avoid playing shit or rankwhoring, with this I mean DON'T GO RANKING EASY SONGS WITH EVERY MOD or keep playing maps you can easily FC to get a higher overall rank by getting easy ranked score, that's useless because:

Some people says (got friends saying this) that playing normal maps with many mods makes them Insane, that's wrong, low diff. maps don't have complicated patterns or streams, even with every mod they are still easy maps. And then by playing maps you can easily FC you are not challenging yourself, and since that's all you need to do...
07 Ghost
It's a difficult question to answer, because it differs between people. Generally playing 5 days in a row for around 1-4 hours will help. But after that, it's not a bad idea to take a break, I mean you're on the computer for a very long period of time. For me, taking a day or two of no Osu! has actually helped me gotten better. But like I said, it differs between people.
CXu
Play first, think later. You'll be pro in no time.
Avedas
Just keep challenging yourself more and more. One day you may notice a bunch of people calling you pro and there you go.
Topic Starter
CommanderHana
Thanks, everyone. It was a very warm response: 23 replies in 1 day! I'll try harder!
Neruell
25/7 is the correct answer :p
Jalatiphra
where you get that extra hour? i need that!
Neruell

Jalatiphra wrote:

where you get that extra hour? i need that!
I am from mars, there is the day approx 40 mins longer than here on earth :p
twistedice
It is also important to play maps that test your current skill. If you are still having a tough time FCing light Insane maps, do not go back to playing Hard, just keep at it. If you are comfortable with 150 bpm, start challenging yourself and play 170-180 bpm maps. If you aren't good at streaming, look for maps with a decent amount of mini-streams (not the ones with long 5 second streams). Jumps have more to do with knowing the song's rhythm, your reflexes and the mapper's style.

When I first started playing osu, I probably played 4-6 hours every day. Nowadays I only play 1-2 hours every other day or so.
show more