forum

Connecting Sliders [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
theowest
no. Delete this thread or something. It was stupid.
SapphireGhost
Why not just make half a slider and then have a key command to mirror the points? I think that's the same idea but could work too.
Topic Starter
theowest

SapphireGhost wrote:

Why not just make half a slider and then have a key command to mirror the points? I think that's the same idea but could work too.
Yes, it's the same thing actually.
mm201
Sliders with lots of red points tend to not look very good anyway. Basically its only use is creating gimmicky sliders like in your pics.
Even your tilde example is better created without redpoints.
OzzyOzrock

SORRY BRO

SapphireGhost wrote:

But this could actually be helpful and time-saving.
mm201
I like how your examples are better than his joined sliders.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

I like how your examples are better than his joined sliders.
I didn't spend much time on these sliders, that's why they're so crappy. They're just examples.
Topic Starter
theowest

OzzyOzrock wrote:

SORRY BRO

SapphireGhost wrote:

But this could actually be helpful and time-saving.
This feature request is time saving. You'll be able to make the sliders you just showed me TWICE or THREE times as fast! And what he said is almost the same thing.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

No, without them it's harder and it won't be easy to make it perfect.
OzzyOzrock
Might as well add connecting posts as well with the triple-posting you're doing.
Sakura

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Might as well add connecting posts as well with the triple-posting you're doing.
I LOL'd XD

but yeah, next time edit your post instead of triple posting
OzzyOzrock
It would be time-saving to add it too!
Topic Starter
theowest

Sakura Hana wrote:

OzzyOzrock wrote:

I LOL'd XD

but yeah, next time edit your post instead of triple posting

theowest wrote:

OzzyOzrock wrote:

I was posting them at different times... so.. I didn't bother to edit it into one.
That ^

+ I was on my iPod right now so it editing three quotes and copy and paste and shit would have been painful as hell.

OzzyOzrock wrote:

It would be time-saving to add it too!
Indeed! or.. do you mean, not to add it..? ;_;
mm201
No, this isn't true. When using red points, there's an inconsistent second derivative right at the joining point. This creates a less smooth appearance than if it was made without red points.
OzzyOzrock
Post-connecting, yes. If you haven't realized I'm parodying your slider idea but using posts instead.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

No, this isn't true. When using red points, there's an inconsistent second derivative right at the joining point. This creates a less smooth appearance than if it was made without red points.

I don't want it to look like that
I want it to look like this:

Full view:
SPOILER
With red points

Without red points

See the difference?
mm201
Those are the afforementioned gimmicky sliders. That's just one kind of shape!
Why not add an auto circle maker? An auto tilde maker? An auto wiggle maker? Auto spiral?
Having a tool to make every kind of slider shape just isn't practical, and encourages mappers to just use those same shapes all the time.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

Those are the afforementioned gimmicky sliders. That's just one kind of shape!
Why not add an auto circle maker? An auto tilde maker? An auto wiggle maker? Auto spiral?
Having a tool to make every kind of slider shape just isn't practical, and encourages mappers to just use those same shapes all the time.
This is CONNECTING sliders. ANY slider. Just connecting. Copy points in sliders, whatever. It has nothing to do with auto circle making or whatever you're saying. It's up to the big boss who'll approve this, if they find it any good.

Connecting sliders will be very time saving when making any type of slider. ANY! Especially symmetry.
mm201
I never use red points in my sliders, unless they are elbows, which wouldn't benefit from this.
The only use you can justify is making sliders with cusps, which is only one kind of shape.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

I never use red points in my sliders, unless they are elbows, which wouldn't benefit from this.
The only use you can justify is making sliders with cusps, which is only one kind of shape.
True.
and.. you said my example could be created better without red points. Which was false, which I have proven to you already. ;D

Also.. This has nothing to do with connecting sliders.. ._____.
mm201
No I didn't. I said sliders don't look smooth at redpoints, and that tildes are better created without. Read it again.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

No I didn't. I said sliders don't look smooth at redpoints, and that tildes are better created without. Read it again.
You did say
It wasn't created any better without the redpoints. It would look like this without them:
instead of this:

The tilde example you meant was this:
Which is exactly the same type of slider thingy watever. It was built the same way.
mm201
Do you not know what a tilde is?
Sakura
Ohai

Edit also: ~ <- tilde
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

Do you not know what a tilde is?
Nope, but since you said "without the red points", I thought, the example there is the ONLY one with red points so there can't be any other one.

Sakura Hana wrote:

Ohai

Edit also: ~ <- tilde
^ that doesn't work on the sliders I made. It looks like crap without the red points.
compared to:
mm201
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

/me headdesk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde
You said it would look better if I didn't have any. I didn't!
Luna
Yes, but connecting sliders would add a red point.
And that would be ugly.
mm201
You said you wanted this feature to join two arcs with a redpoint.

I say this is a bad way to do it. The only "legit usage" is creating those funny squiggles which are just one kind of shape and don't fit most kinds of maps.
Sakura
So much for trying to help you out :< oh well *me goes to continue learning sliderart*
Topic Starter
theowest

Luna wrote:

Yes, but connecting sliders would add a red point.
And that would be ugly.
Which is why, when this is applied, it should be one point when it will be connected. So two points = one point when connecting.

Example:

SPOILER

instead of this:

which you guys say is going to happen

there. Problem solved!
Luna
You do realize that the "connected" sliders would look completely different if they were connected by normal waypoints and not red points?
mm201
This defeats the purpose of the request entirely.
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

You said you wanted this feature to join two arcs with a redpoint.

I say this is a bad way to do it. The only "legit usage" is creating those funny squiggles which are just one kind of shape and don't fit most kinds of maps.
I never said I wanted to join them with a redpoint.

This request is all just a time saver. It will take less time to make a symmetrical correct slider than doing it without this feature.
mm201

theowest wrote:

SPOILER

I don't want it to look like that
I want it to look like this:
And no it won't. Most of the time I spend on sliders is on lining up the endpoints which this wouldn't help with.
Luna
The shape of the slider will change completely if it's not a red point.
It's not as noticable with the tilde slider, but try that really complicated slider from your first post and join it with a normal waypoint. It will look awful.
Topic Starter
theowest

Luna wrote:

The shape of the slider will change completely if it's not a red point.
It's not as noticable with the tilde slider, but try that really complicated slider from your first post and joint it with a normal waypoint. It will look awful.
okay sure.. but when it comes to this kind of stuff:

it will be easier to create a PERFECT symmetrical slider, without any trouble. but sure.. Lock this thread, , delete it, nuke it, watever. I'm tired of this discussion..

lol, imagine creating something like this

and then wanting to make it symmetrical. THAT would take a very long time, but not if this request was accepted.
RandomJibberish
The first wouldn't be particularly difficult and shouldn't use a redpoint at the top, and the second is pretty ugly and would probably work better assymetrical and random anyway
mm201
Your method isn't any more efficient. What happens when you need to make an adjustment to one of the control points? You demolish half the slider, re-paste, and re-join? Much easier to just move the other control point. It can be extremely difficult to tell if the slider's end will line up just perfectly until it's complete, so you WILL need to adjust control points quite a bit after it's created.

Also:
Luna

theowest wrote:

lol, imagine creating something like this

and then wanting to make it symmetrical. THAT would take a very long time, but not if this request was accepted.
Just how many maps are there where sliders like that would fit xD
Basically this request would only benefit extremely over-the-top complicated sliders that make sense in ~1% of maps.
And it doesn't even take that much time to make them symmetrical. If you create the first half of a complicated slider, just place a red point where the endpoint would be and then place the remaining waypoints by checking with Ctrl+H/Ctrl+J.
Then, to make it absolutely perfectly symmetrical, use the "Scale by" feature and modify the scaling level by tiny intervals until Ctrl+J/H shows no movement.

Really not that much work
Topic Starter
theowest

mm201 wrote:

Your method isn't any more efficient. What happens when you need to make an adjustment to one of the control points? You demolish half the slider, re-paste, and re-join? Much easier to just move the other control point. It can be extremely difficult to tell if the slider's end will line up just perfectly until it's complete, so you WILL need to adjust control points quite a bit after it's created.

Also:
you guys are right... .___________. Sorry for wasting your time. :o
Connecting sliders are worthless.
mm201
Using Scale By to make sliders symmetric isn't really a good choice. There's rounding errors in the positioning of the control points which will cause the slider to be slightly different when you save and reload.
Luna
I always manually recheck the sliders to make sure nothing happens with rounding errors, scaling just really saves time compared to experimenting with all the waypoints individually.
OzzyOzrock
To think that a conclusion would've been reached 2 pages faster if he had known what a tilde was...
Topic Starter
theowest

OzzyOzrock wrote:

To think that a conclusion would've been reached 2 pages faster if he had known what a tilde was...
Nope.
OzzyOzrock
Yes, because then no red endpoint conversation would have existed.
Topic Starter
theowest

OzzyOzrock wrote:

Yes, because then no red endpoint conversation would have existed.
No, because I didn't realize till he showed me the example picture I made. I thought he meant the one.. that wasn't a tilde.. oh god.. you're right.. ._______________.

In other news, it was not the reason I didn't want to cancel this feature request.. I just realized it was unnecessary. And sliderart stuff aren't common in beatmaps anyways.
mm201
This thread has gone totally meta so I'll just let this die right now.