forum

Some questions from a noob

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XGeneral2000
So I started Osu! about 3 months ago. I haven't played much (~2000 PC), so I still suck, but there are a few things I was curious about.

1) How important is a good mouse to performance? I recently checked the specs on my (cheap) mouse, and it's 400 DPI, which I understand is a little...low. I know a better mouse is obviously better, but I want to know if it's worth buying a decent mouse, and if so, what's a good target DPI to look at? 1000? 2000?

2) Is a mousepad generally recommended? Or is it mostly preference-driven? I just play on my wooden desk, but I wonder if it wouldn't be smoother with an actual pad.

3) Does anyone actually regularly use the difficulty reduction mods (Easy Mode / Half Time)? I never saw the point, but then I wondered if some people used them for practice, or something. On that note, how do people...train? Working on FC's and S's, or playing songs you can barely pass? And yes, I can see the James Training sticky. I should probably pass boot camp before I go to Navy SEAL training.

Sorry if you guys see these questions uncomfortably often, and thanks for helping a noob out.
Sakura
1) Not really sure.

2) I'd say the mousepad makes me feel more comfortable while using my mousepad

3) James Training is a good idea

As an addition if you're using mouse, disable mouse acceleration (Windows control panel > mouse > uncheck increase pointer precission) then adjust sensitivity to whatever you feel better with (do this on osu! as well since it's more precise)
Avedas
1. You'll probably want a mouse with a higher polling rate. DPI is more personal preference, although having flexibility to go higher certainly doesn't hurt. A good mouse will be more reliable with clicking as well, if you play mouse only.

2. A mousepad is good if you want to customize the feel you have (depends on the surface you buy). Possibly negligible but some mouse lasers may work better on certain surfaces. I know some surfaces are "specifically designed to improve laser tracking" or stuff like that.

3. I never use HalfTime but Easy can be fun for lulz or whatever. They're not much good for maps you're having trouble passing, I think. It's a lot simpler to play a slightly easier map then return to it when you've improved.
Wishy
If you're buying a good mouse just go for a tablet, a Wacom Bamboo Pen one should be around $40 in the US.
Sup A Noob
1. It really depends. Some people play better on low DPI settings, others play better with an actual gaming mouse. It's really up to you to decide which mouse you want to use. If you want to buy a better mouse, the higher the DPI, the better.

2. Whatever floats your boat. I have a friend who plays osu! on a wooden chopping board.

3. The only difficulty reduction mod is use is No-Fail when it comes to maps I will surely fail, since it allows me to play the entire map while not getting my gameplay cut from me. Half-Time makes the map go slower so that's a no, Easy makes everything big and and the approach circles slow so that's a no too.

Some people prefer playing it in Spun-Out, since it works like No-Fail with the added feature of having your shitty plays not uploaded on the server, but it spins everything for you and as far as I'm concerned people play that mod to make their accuracy look good so that's a no-no as well for me.
Neruell
(if you want to stay with mouse)

1. It is more a matter of what you are used to. If you always played with a low DPI mouse then stay with it, getting a higher DPI mouse will make you start from the very beginning again and you will have to get used to it first and won't really be of a big difference. (same for tablets, there is no big difference in epic tablets and low cheap tablets (for osu only) unless you don't only use it for osu)

2. What is under the mouse, doesn't matter, it should be all the same color, no colorful pictures. Also your mouse should move smooth on it.

3. Doubt that anyone uses that any mods for training or practice in general. At least [Easy mod] and [Half time] are mostly only used on tag4 songs which are just impossible to finish without them, same as [No fail], although I do use [No fail] mostly if the map is so insanely hard so I can get better into it and train the whole map untill I don't need it anymore.

(if you do consider buying a tablet instead of a mouse then...)

Wishy22 wrote:

If you're buying a good mouse just go for a tablet, a Wacom Bamboo Pen one should be around $40 in the US.
Equivalent_old
Slightly off topic.
Use Spunout and No fail so your Play count not recorded in server database. I do this practicing map that I can't pass or like 9/10part to pass. then I regret passing it when Spunout is on and get my PC increased after failing again without Spunout >.>
Ekaru
1) You want a mouse that is responsive and precise enough, really. I play using a 1000 DPI wireless mouse, myself, but I did try a wired mouse once and it worked better, but it was cheap so it couldn't do spinners. :(

2) Some people use a piece of paper. I use a mousepad with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald on a giant disc thing floating through the sky. It's weird, but it works.

3) I got better for my first 3 or 4 months by playing a lot, but ever since then most of my improvement came through mapping and modding; as I test-played I naturally got better at osu!. So, play maps that you can barely pass until you can S those, and then go up another difficulty level. You'll find Lemon Tree a joke before you know it ~
Sup A Noob

Equivalent wrote:

Slightly off topic.
Use Spunout and No fail so your Play count not recorded in server database. I do this practicing map that I can't pass or like 9/10part to pass. then I regret passing it when Spunout is on and get my PC increased after failing again without Spunout >.>
Correction. Both mods record your play count into the server database. Spun-Out prevents your score from being recorded into the database because it does spinners for you. No-Fail just lets you not fail.
Waryas
I believe score isn't even sent to server when you play with spunout.
Equivalent_old

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

Equivalent wrote:

Slightly off topic.
Correction. Both mods record your play count into the server database. Spun-Out prevents your score from being recorded into the database because it does spinners for you. No-Fail just lets you not fail.
lol,nope from my experience. Same goes when you failing in multiplay mod
Sup A Noob
Failing Multiplayer is the same as failing Single Player. You don't get a recorded score when you've actually failed the map. However for No-Fail, your score gets uploaded to the server unless you prematurely quit the map.
Equivalent_old
~.~ W/ever. Did you even try? I said this because I tried it and no, it doesnt affect Playcount. Multiplay, if you fail and keep playing till end of song your PC wont be recorded unless you quit in the mid of song.
Sup A Noob
User data doesn't upload immediately.
Equivalent_old
~.~ Up to you to believe it or not....
Shiirn

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

Yes it does.
Ekaru

Equivalent wrote:

~.~ W/ever. Did you even try? I said this because I tried it and no, it doesnt affect Playcount.
He's referring to NoFail all by itself, not SpunOut. For years I had a 20% accuracy Marisa score with NoFail. If you're also using Spun Out, like you are, then yes, it doesn't affect playcount. But, if you just use NoFail all by itself, which is what he's talking about, then it does affect playcount.

He was just clarifying what you were saying, really.
Waryas

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

Failing in multiplayer and playing till the end = No playcount increase, no total hit increase, no total score increase; Same as playing spunout in single
Failing in multiplayer and quitting = Playcount increase, total hit increase, total score increase; Same as failing in single player.
Sup A Noob

JesusYamato wrote:

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

Failing in multiplayer and playing till the end = No playcount increase, no total hit increase, no total score increase; Same as playing spunout in single
Failing in multiplayer and quitting = Playcount increase, total hit increase, total score increase; Same as failing in single player.
Right. Thanks for the info. That's new to me. Though I've seen several cases where scores take a while to get uploaded.

But we're going a little off topic here. Let's get back to topic.
GladiOol
1) If you're a mouse-only player, I'd suggest getting a fancy mouse~ If you are a mouse+keyboard player a fancy mouse is always nice, but you must also not forget that you need a nice keyboard as well.

2) That's personally driven if you ask me. I have a razer mouse mat matching my mouse, but I can almost play equally well just on my wooden desk.

3) Never heared of it before~ Best practive imo is just trying a song you can almost pass over and over again till you do~ And then go on to the next one.
show more