forum

Question about Scoring

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Flesh_old
Hi, I just started last week and I have a question about scoring on a particular map - this might even be a bug, but I'm not posting it in that forum because it might be something I'm not aware of.

I am aware that there are a lot of quirks that can fluctuate a person's score even if they score perfect 300's on every single note. Mods create multipliers and wheels are tricky and add a lot of variation to a person's final score. I'm wondering if there's something else that I'm missing that causes a mad fluctuation in score.

Here's the specific case I'm talking about.

Song: djpretzel - Bubble Bobble Hillbilly Rodeo Remix (Easy)
BM: buraimaster1234

1st place: my1908601209
-Score: 340,918
-300:131 100:1 50:1 Miss:0
-Mods: None

3rd place: Ryohan
-Score: 328,376
-300:131 100:2 50:0 Miss:0
-Mods: None

6th place: Gemi
-Score: 325,564
-300:133 100:0 50:0 Miss:0(Perfect 300)
-Mods None

One other bit of info to add to this equation; I've viewed all three replays, and there's an outstanding difference in points scored on the wheel in the beginning. Gemi, the guy in sixth place, scores well enough to get a 19,000 point bonus on the wheel. my1908601209, the guy in first, and Ryohan, the guy in third, both miss the wheel entirely.

Just to try it myself, I succeeded in a Perfect 300 on this map with no mods to try and figure out on my own what's going on, and because I scored something like 12,000 on the wheel my score was below Gemi's. That all seems to make perfect sense (Sorry, I don't have a replay or the actual score of this run since my score is already saved in 5th place and this run wasn't better)

What I can't figure out is how two people who totally nerfed the wheel entirely and missed a couple 300's through the song scored 15,354 points more and 2,812 points more respectively than at least two people who each did a lot better on the wheel and scored 300 points on every note, and all four people used no mods. Can someone shed some light on what's going on here?
Saturos
The two people in question were spinning faster than the replays can pick up on/record. They likely got ~20k more on the spinner than Gemi did.
YoshiKart
Also, replays aren't recorded like video. If your system's specs make it so that spinners run at a snail's pace, then it'll replay it as the player failing (or doing badly) on that spinner. Therefore, look at the final score at the end of the replay (before it disappears), and look at the replay's results screen. If they're different, then something's affecting the replay.
Gemi
I was actally asking about this same thing on irc after playing that score and another one on the Mario Tennis map. I have a 100% accuracy on both and am still beaten hugely by others in spinners, but the reply fails to show them passing the spinners. Basically it's just the replay messing up I guess, but I'm interested if there is anything that can be done about it.

(On a side note, it's pretty funny how the non-rhyth-needing element of the game is able to dominate the rhythm element of the game in certain maps)
peppy
I will probably need to have another look into this at some point in the near future. It SHOULD be perfectly accurate, but this is quite hard to achieve, it seems. Its all based on the different number of input frames recorded on each pc, and correctly playing that back on the viewer's pc without screwing up the scoring for it.
Topic Starter
Flesh_old
Thanks for the tip! If you need my system specs for solving the problem, I'll post them upon request.