forum

Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Arf
Applied everything, thanks for the corrections (and the stars)
Preview point also changed (again), if anyone has a better one feel free to share

EDIT: Seems a BN gave you KD for that post, maybe with mod v2 having been implemented the old rules about only receiving KD once per map are moot now. (I agree with this if so)
Izzywing
hi sorry for being late ill get to this soond
Izzywing
hi
Battle
give metadata
Topic Starter
Arf
Metadata updated with a capital "T" in the word "to"

https://steppenwolf.com/i-5096036-steppenwolf-cd.html
https://www.discogs.com/Steppenwolf-Ste ... ter/131511

Mainly using the first one since official band source and all that.
Battle
first link is a valid source, sounds fine to me
Izzywing
weed lol
Bonsai
More lines doesn't automatically mean better timing. For example at 00:06:564 (8,9,10) - (using timestamps from the highest difficulty) you set sections that go drastically up and down in BPM from note to note, changing the offset of the notes by 30ms or more - For the OD used in this difficulty, being 31.5ms too early or too late already means getting a 100 instead of a 300, which seems rather unreasonable to me since the song is timed in a way that makes these drastic timing-changes unpredictable, and this spot for example is mapped with mostly circles in all diffs, so there's only few if any slidertails that would give an indication of that timing.

Timing every single note as accurate as possible is cool (even though in many cases it would "feel" much better when you try to smooth it out to a more constant timing) , but you should always consider how that affects the gameplay. If you want to keep such a timing, I'd strongly advise to lower the ODs to compensate for that. Especially for the Hard an Insane at hand, the current ODs seem very high when looking at the actual difficulty-level of the maps already without taking the timing into consideration.

And a quick note to the mapper: Maybe try to get more creative and expressive in lower difficulties, literally having constant 1/1-rhythm for 1:20 minutes can't be the most that you can get out of a great song like this. Randomly clicking through that first half of the Normal I can't find anything that makes a section different to another section except the "Kiai"-logo blinking on the screen, yet the song differs so much. Why not use different SVs when the overall intensity of the sections are different? Why not accentuate certain instruments that only exist in certain spots by giving them more rhythmic focus, and not following the others that closely bc they're there constantly anyways? Mapping as many notes as possible doesn't automatically follow the song as good as possible - The opposite is mostly the case, nothing is standing out anymore bc they're all the same rhythmically, but rhythm is such an important aspect of music (and of a rhythm game).. :(

edit: Personally I also find it very weird to not emphasize the most iconic part of this song at all in any of the difficulties and instead force drum-hitsounds over it that are out of sync with that vocal phrase even tho those drums are barely audible in the song but ok xddd

edit2: Also don't give kds to someone who has already received kds right before that and literally writes "no kds" in their post LOL

edit3: Steppenwolf awoo
Topic Starter
Arf
Hobbes gave pimpG that KDs, not me. How'd you miss the post below pimp's mod >=(

I don't like long slow sliders in that part of the song after the break to emphasize vocals particularly when they're off sync with everything else timing wise, they wouldn't be snapped in a friendly way at all, surely, since the vocals aren't snapped to anything constant. I know it's the good part and everything but seriously, Steppenwolf don't use a metronome and that vocal part is cancer to snap, mapping to that is not a good idea.

Isn't OD 8 fine? The 170 BPM in the middle of the triple was suspicious to me when pimp first timed it, but it played okay at least personally. My playtesters didn't struggle with accuracy and they certainly weren't gods (the ladder jumps were a bigger problem), and I can play it well enough too, though since I know the song that's not much to go on. It's honestly not that unforgiving of a timing, anyone playing 4.2* maps regularly should be more than capable of scoring well here. My original timing had about half the timing points (81 vs 140) as pimp's, no BPMs higher than 155, but it set off alarms in everyone's heads as you can see in the thread. Given what an absolute murderfest timing issues tend to be, I'm highly inclined to just stick with the "perfect, but overdone" timing, since it's technically correct and doesn't fluctuate so much that it creates rhythm problems, because otherwise everything will go downhill between what timing is good enough for playability versus what timing is actually correct and there is absolutely no way am I ever going to deal with that.

About the Normal, not to make excuses, I know it's boring as all hell, but this was mapped months ago, when the 2* rule was in effect and nobody wanted to see 1/2 in any low diff at all, not when it's the lowest diff. It used to have more repeat sliders and such, but with the number of timing points I got after pimp timed it, that soon became extremely difficult since the slider would no longer snap correctly. If I start leaving gaps in the map to emphasize something or another, something else gets left out, and everyone gets a bee in their bonnet about it, be it drums, guitar, vocals, whatever. Also are different SVs even allowed in a lowest diff? To make them mean anything the SV change has to be somewhat significant, which goes against the point of a lowest diff anyway doesn't it? The song also doesn't differ too much, does it now, it's great but it's the same riff for most of it with not a lot else going on :<

More importantly, there is actually emphasis in the Normal, even if the rhythm is all 1/1. In the verses with the main guitar riff, like at 00:40:456 (1) - the slider->-note->note rhythm was chosen specifically because it works pretty well (IMO) in emphasizing first the held note in the guitar (00:42:113 (4) - ) and then the two guitar notes afterwards (00:42:935 (5,6) - ). Then there's the circle spam in the second kiai, because intensity etc blah blah. Essentially, since the diff needed to be a 1/1 spamfest at the time it was created (because no one would accept a lowest diff otherwise, seriously) the emphasis was created through other means. There's slider pairing copy/pasta for similar sounds, circles instead of sliders at key points, tactics like that were mainly made use of.

It's not a very good Normal, because it's a lowest common denominator difficulty. I can't map a better one than this without needing an Easy (which would be basically this diff anyway) because it would use quite a lot of 1/2 and wouldn't be accepted as a lowest difficulty. I know this because every single map I've ever ranked had that problem :c (and they all have metronome clicker Easies now, shocker). In-between difficulty with some 1/2 and mostly 1/1 just ends up inconsistent, because once you use some 1/2 you kind of have to follow through and use it properly, else you get a strange rhythm that uses 1/2 in some places but not others, and nobody will agree on where to use it and where not (in this song at least). Instead of making a rhythm that would appeal only to some people, in a lowest diff I just took the no-risk route and made one that wouldn't detract from anyone (anyone who plays Normals on-level that is) but wouldn't stand out either.

Can I be in your old fart list now you codger
Izzywing
me giving the kds was a mistake, sorry about that :\

not that kds actually means anything anymore lol

Edit - the OD seems fine to me, I don't really think it's as hard to acc as you're making it out to be

as for the normal, yeah that is valid criticism. Arf responded, so we'll see what happens from there.
pimp
I know the timing could be simplified in many parts but it would make some parts sound better than others...
I like accurate timings more than averaged
people usually know what to expect from the final result when they ask me timing help
Asherz007
As requested.
Topic Starter
Arf
Normal totally revamped, see what you think. Didn't really like the diff after looking at it again.

Big thanks to -Mo- for a lot of rhythm help and guidance, credit where it's due to him.
-Mo-
remap normal pls

Further modding:

General
- Would be cool if your whistle hitsounds followed the guitars more closely I think.

For example in top/hard diff, you have 00:02:178 (4,5) heading with whistles, but 00:01:346 (2,3) doesn't have whistles where I think it would be cool to have them.

Normal diff: 01:48:076 (4,5) - 01:51:342 (4,5) etc - Would be cool to have whistles on these I think.

All diffs: 01:33:570 this section seems to not use whistles at all, where I think they could be used on the guitar sounds.

RE:Normal
Assuming you don't care about touching the health bar stuff.
== 00:06:564 (6) - Wrong snapping.
- 00:10:333 - Missing clap.
- 00:24:737 (2) - Random drum-normal here for some reason.
- 00:32:135 (5,6) - 00:58:533 (5,6) - If you can arrange it like this it'll be a little less cluttered looking.
- 00:35:681 - 01:02:071 - This green line isn't doing anything, was it supposed to?
- 00:39:628 (3) - Can you nudge this up by 1 or 2 units so there'll be no questions asked.
- 01:27:083 (1,3) - I think you can do a better job of these wave sliders.
- 01:48:076 (4,5) - 01:51:342 (4,5) etc - Would be cool to have whistles on these I think.

- 00:18:781 (3) - So let's fix this slider tick with more red lines, because you don't have enough right now:
-- 00:18:873 - New red line here at 152 BPM.
-- 00:18:781 - Set this red line to 148 BPM.
-- Set the slider length in the .osu to 90.

Rabid
- 00:26:534 (8) - Looks better placed at around (230, 292) I think.
- 00:42:935 (6,7) - Spacing emphasis? Compare it to 00:42:319 (4,5).
- 00:46:199 (6,7) - Same, smaller spacing makes this more boring. What you did in first verse was more interesting.
- 00:50:901 (6,7) - Visual flow is kinda meh if you can be bothered to fix it.
- 01:13:422 (1,2) - 01:14:243 (3,4) - Would be cooler to rotate each by 180 degrees I think. Makes it so this combo goes into the opposite direction as 01:11:784 (1,2,3). Could also make 01:15:065 (1,2,3,4,5,6) part of the wheel on the vertical line if you wanted to be really fancy.

discord
[01:10] Mo: 00:06:564 - 142.5 bpm
[01:10] Mo: 00:16:936 - missed another clap you
[01:12] Mo: 00:32:135 (5) - put whistle on head instead
[01:13] Mo: 00:55:201 (3) - ^
[01:13] Mo: 01:03:117 (7) - missing w
Topic Starter
Arf

-Mo- wrote:

remap normal pls okay

Further modding:

General
- Would be cool if your whistle hitsounds followed the guitars more closely I think.

For example in top/hard diff, you have 00:02:178 (4,5) heading with whistles, but 00:01:346 (2,3) doesn't have whistles where I think it would be cool to have them. this is to avoid spam whistles, especially when there's other hitsounds, if there's too much whistle I think the emphasis of the whistle gets a bit ruined.

Normal diff: 01:48:076 (4,5) - 01:51:342 (4,5) etc - Would be cool to have whistles on these I think. yes

All diffs: 01:33:570 this section seems to not use whistles at all, where I think they could be used on the guitar sounds. also yes

RE:Normal
Assuming you don't care about touching the health bar stuff.
== 00:06:564 (6) - Wrong snapping. fixed.
- 00:10:333 - Missing clap. fixed.
- 00:24:737 (2) - Random drum-normal here for some reason. fixed.
- 00:32:135 (5,6) - 00:58:533 (5,6) - If you can arrange it like this it'll be a little less cluttered looking. good idea.
- 00:35:681 - 01:02:071 - This green line isn't doing anything, was it supposed to? for silencing slidertick, seems volume didnt get changed
- 00:39:628 (3) - Can you nudge this up by 1 or 2 units so there'll be no questions asked. yes I can.
- 01:27:083 (1,3) - I think you can do a better job of these wave sliders. I caaaan't. I like how they look :c
- 01:48:076 (4,5) - 01:51:342 (4,5) etc - Would be cool to have whistles on these I think. sure, done.

- 00:18:781 (3) - So let's fix this slider tick with more red lines, because you don't have enough right now:
-- 00:18:873 - New red line here at 152 BPM.
-- 00:18:781 - Set this red line to 148 BPM.
-- Set the slider length in the .osu to 90. this is stupid.

Rabid
- 00:26:534 (8) - Looks better placed at around (230, 292) I think. all righty
- 00:42:935 (6,7) - Spacing emphasis? Compare it to 00:42:319 (4,5).
- 00:46:199 (6,7) - Same, smaller spacing makes this more boring. What you did in first verse was more interesting. Did different things here
- 00:50:901 (6,7) - Visual flow is kinda meh if you can be bothered to fix it. Adjusted.
- 01:13:422 (1,2) - 01:14:243 (3,4) - Would be cooler to rotate each by 180 degrees I think. Makes it so this combo goes into the opposite direction as 01:11:784 (1,2,3). Could also make 01:15:065 (1,2,3,4,5,6) part of the wheel on the vertical line if you wanted to be really fancy. Done something like that here, hope it worked.
-Mo-
Frankly, I'm getting tired of stupid timing maps.
pimp
insane

00:18:971 (3) - this is supposed to be on the white tick.

pimpG wrote:

pm me if you need further help (don't modify or let someone else modify the timing)
smh
Topic Starter
Arf
Bollocks, I forgot about that. I'm sorry dude, didn't mean to put one over you or anything.

I'll change the other thing during the next check

EDIT: Right, since unsnapped note is apparently a bubble popping issue I'm popping this myself. Fixed it
-Mo-
every time.

Red line should've been on 00:18:879 but editor gave me the wrong time stamp. It's fixed, hopefully.
Izzywing
re