forum

Long Song Intros

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Erkk
I've been dabbling with the Edit mode off and on for the past few months and finally decided to try and chart a map.

Ideally, I want to chart this dubstep song I've been listening to, Noisia's remix of Raise Your Weapon, but the issue is the time difference between the start of the song and when it properly picks up. This length comes in at about 1:40.

On lower difficulties, the player would probably play at least part of this intro, but for higher ones I'm struggling to come up with a way to chart it so that it's appropriate to the difficulty.

Would it be too much to have most of this span of time (a length almost longer than a TV sized OP/ED) to have nothing and just be skippable? Should I buckled down and try and chart it to the difficulty? Or I guess the third option is just have the intro on Hard/Insane be much, much easier than the rest of the song.
RandomJibberish
It's okay to have a long intro, but cutting the mp3 is recommended. Also, you should always map each of the difficulties with the same start and end point - if you are going to skip the intro on the harder difficulties, you should do so on the easier ones too.
Luna
Actually, it's not neccessarily a bad thing if hard maps start out easy. If it fits the music, you can even use it to create an awesome buildup that defines the whole map like Shounen A does. Quite a legendary map and the difficulty curve in the Another difficulty couldn't really be much more extreme =)
LuigiHann
Yeah, buildup is cool.

People are going to skip any intro that's long enough to have a skip button, so it doesn't really matter, but yeah if it's over 35 seconds or so I would cut it way down just for filesize. If it's a repetitive song you can usually cut out a lot of space in between repeated bits without creating a jarring cut, and it's even less of a problem when you know that people are just going to skip over the cut part anyway
Topic Starter
Erkk
Alright, thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll go with finding a good cutting point partway into the beginning, making a small part skippable (Personally, when playing the track blind I listen to the skippable part for timing) and then going into some kind of build up curve.
Again, thanks for the help.

Edit: Just listened with a cut point in mind and it's ~25 seconds before the lyrics come in, seems like a safe time to cut.