forum

Good stratergy? 1 month old player, need feedback.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mugi Brows
I read the rules guide, I don't know if this is considered a blog, I'm not constantly updating my status or anything so I'll just out with it.

The way I play this game is by going up star ratings by .01 at a time playing SD/HR to improve accuracy. If I lose a couple rounds, I'll add the song to a list to finish later and move on. I'm not so sure this is a good strategy to get better, but when I really tried to beat a 3 star (which I never really attempted before) I was able to pull it off even while using ONLY a mouse no keys and I was only at 2~ stars so I made a 1 star level difficulty JUMP. I think this type of play style I'm doing is kind of 'slow and steady wins the race' kinda deal, I can't complain though I find LOTS of cool music and pretty much rip threw a whole bunch of songs in a row because I'm gradually increasing the difficulty over time, not making big leaps. I put minimal work into this vid and more into this paragraph, feedback on my strategy and my video would much be appreciated! Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqQitDyLUs

Warning: R-18 word for miss hit! Just realized my skin has a no-no word for a miss hit so don't watch if you are sensitive to F-bombs lol, its also a mix so there is no where you can download it I made it with some of my originality along with other peoples content.
Sandy Hoey
If you re looking for advice on how to play, then this is the perfect place to post!

On your playstyle, theoretically that is the way you want to play. Increase the difficulty slowly, giving yourself time to master each skill and not getting stuck on one map for too long. However, in reality, it is not that simple. Star rating is not a perfect idicator of the difficulty of a song, especially because some players may be better at certain skillsets than other (streams, jumps, techincal). However, if keep the basic difficult around the same area, you should do just fine.
Jukkii
if youre looking for feedback ill give you the most helpful one youll get.

dont play HR or HRNC yet

stick with nomod until 4k-5k pp, then learn mods, or stay with nomod even beyond that (like me xd). playing HR too early will affect your improvement, negatively. especially one you go from AR6 to AR7 nomod maps (thats 8,4 to 9,8 in HR, completely skips over 9 which is the most important AR). as for your methods, its a good idea but as sandy hoey said it doesnt work reliable in practice due to the SR system being inconsistent.
Endaris
Jukke is the man!
Also 0.01 steps is too small. Star rating is not even that accurate, you should think a bit bigger if you're out to improve fast but if you're enjoying your time that way, stick to it.
Topic Starter
Mugi Brows
This is all very helpfull info guys thanks!

-Jukke- wrote:

if youre looking for feedback ill give you the most helpful one youll get.
dont play HR or HRNC yet

stick with nomod until 4k-5k pp, then learn mods, or stay with nomod even beyond that (like me xd). playing HR too early will affect your improvement, negatively. especially one you go from AR6 to AR7 nomod maps (thats 8,4 to 9,8 in HR, completely skips over 9 which is the most important AR). as for your methods, its a good idea but as sandy hoey said it doesnt work reliable in practice due to the SR system being inconsistent.
I kinda not really understand what you mean, but I don't see why its bad. Wouldn't you want to learn faster AR speeds and smaller hit circles to increase accuracy? In my search criteria I have used ar>4 ar<6 most of the time if not all the time asides from today where I went and threw on a myriad of mods on easy and normal maps just because I had never really done that before. So especially your saying is play nomod to get better? I got too used to HR now when I see big circles that spawn too quick I wanna die lol.
kai99

-Jukke- wrote:

dont play HR or HRNC yet
playing HR too early will affect your improvement, negatively. especially one you go from AR6 to AR7 nomod maps (thats 8,4 to 9,8 in HR, completely skips over 9 which is the most important AR).
I think I've talked to you about this topic... However, as you mentioned, isn't it okay to put HR on maps that have ~7 ar after putting HR on? I remember stopping HR around that level when songs got to ar 8 after putting HR on just because I couldn't follow it. But otherwise I feel as if it's okay, especially if cs is too large or ar too low.

Otherwise about the nomod I totally agree, even though I go dirty pp farming sometimes.
OP, the best advice I can give you is that nomod, fc, good acc. To be really honest this goes against what I've said in the previous paragraph but my skills increased a lot when I stopped playing mods. I sometimes go HD or HDDT but that's sometimes and most of the time I play nomod and it's great.
Jukkii
its bad because youre skipping over one of the most important points in reading in the game, AR9. as i said, with HR the difference in AR between 6 and 7 on HR is 8,4 and 9,8 which is a huge jump in AR.

when you go to the gym, do you just take really heavy weights and start lifting? no, you start off with lighter weights. its the same thing.

HR and other mods are added onto nomod, theyre all based on your nomod skill. playing mods without knowing how to play nomod is like building a castle on sand while playing mods while having the ability to nomod is like building it on a stable surface. at a certain point HR difficulty makes a huge jump, which will affect your "plan" for improvement very negatively. youre not as used to HR as you think you are, it will be easy for you to learn nomod, your whole playtime isnt enough to get used enough to HR to have problems with learning nomod.
Endaris
Most importantly, playing on low AR will train your ability to read rhythm sequentially much more than with applying a higher AR through Hard Rock. This outweighs by far the benefits of having a higher aimdifficulty. Last but not least reading is often not trained as much later on so you may build up a deficit there.
As you're already saying:

Mugi Brows wrote:

I got too used to HR now when I see big circles that spawn too quick I wanna die lol.
It's a real difference whether you can deal with this or not. Don't worry the game will get faster as you improve anyway. There is no good reason to charge for high approachrates in this game.
AR is usually set to fit the difficulty and it is common knowledge among better players that a higher approachrate can make maps a lot easier.
Sayorie

-Jukke- wrote:

when you go to the gym, do you just take really heavy weights and start lifting? no, you start off with lighter weights. its the same thing.
Can we post this in front of G&R? People need to realize this more.
I Give Up
Low ar isnt too important anymore. There is no EZ or <ar9 map pool in owc. I know plenty players who think ar9/200bpm is too dense lol and these are the gods of 2017.

Thats why I wish they would get rid of AR bonus altogether and make it like mania. This was 2 years ago when people were saying average map AR will approach 10 and eventually ar10/200bpm will be norm.

Just pick some old ar9/220bpm+ maps from 2013. Now look at the ar9.5/190bpm maps and ar10/220bpm of today.
kai99

Sayorie wrote:

-Jukke- wrote:

Can we post this in front of G&R? People need to realize this more.
+1 just for all those people who ask for 4* maps at 200pp
Kazutakee
It makes me happy to see that there are players who aren't rushing for the insane difficulties, but are actually playing at their own level with systematic improvements.
Hibiya-chan
Don't do HR nd DT/NC yet, stick to nomod.

Also, the SR strategy that you said is good and all (unlike other new players that start torturing themselves with 4*-5*ish maps at the start), but why not assign a specific star range to improve on? For example, you said you're playing 2* maps right (Removing the star diff increase in your top plays)? Assign a range of, like, 2*-2.99* nomod with consistent FCs and high acc, then move on to 3* and so on. This is how I played the game in my early days.

Imo, SD/PF is a horrible mod. Better to play once with no FC and move on than retrying and retrying for FC to the point that it your consistency will decay.