forum

Autoload for pre-existing maps [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Kittenchild
When a player in-game links a map it will take you to the page on this website regardless of whether you have the map or not. If a player does already have the map and for some reason forgets that they have it (when you have over 1000 beat-maps it is easy) they will likely just re download it. Not only does this take up the players time (even if they searched for it first it might take several minutes) it uses bandwidth. A solution to this problem would be making links check to see if you have the song first and if you don't THEN taking you to the website to download it.
Starrodkirby86
This is somewhat included in osu!direct. With osu!direct enabled, when you attempt to download a beatmap that you already own, osu! will ask if you'd like to download the map again, since it noticed you already had it. It doesn't address anything for the people who lack osu!direct though, like the majority of osu! players.

Although, if someone doesn't really remember a map they already have, it must have been one forgettable beatmap. Either that or the person just downloaded it and never played. x)
Topic Starter
Kittenchild
I know for myself at least that when I download a Beatmap pack I don't always bother to look to see all of the Beatmaps it contains. Often I will have downloaded it simply for one or two songs that I see in it. Many of my osu! friends will link me maps when I am spectating them and it is a pain to check to see if I have downloaded them. In cases I have it it's often BECAUSE I was watching them play it previously. These are two of my main reasons for not knowing what maps I own.
Starrodkirby86
Hmm, well for your first point, the good part is that Beatmap Packs are uploaded onto external download sites such as MediaFire, so they don't affect any bandwidth or server strain at all. It's recommended to download such in bulk like that, so kudos to you. :)

And uhh, can't you just spectate and find out yourself? If you spectate them and have the map, then hooray, you'll enjoy some playing. Otherwise, they'll just tell you it's lacked and you can simply click the Now Playing link to download it? o_O You can do a shortcut to spectating by typing "/watch [name]".
mm201
I requested this like 2 years ago. I think it's time to give it a look.
Neruell
Just make Osu! Supporter free to everyone (joke).

Become a Supporter and enjoy that feature.
mm201
Here you go