forum

Waveform

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
mrtn
I've search the forums and the site and could find this idea so that's why I post it:

When editing sometimes it's pretty hard to determine the bpm and offset, a waveform can help in that case. Usually it's possible to 'see' the beats in a waveform (the peaks), so this could be a huge help for mappers :).
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
fdtoonsman
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Gemi

fdtoonsman wrote:

That would help, but wouldn't it be hard to implement? I can imagine mountains of code for peppy and crew. XD
I'm pretty sure there are multiple free and ready-to-use waveform creators out there.
Saturos

fdtoonsman wrote:

That would help, but wouldn't it be hard to implement? I can imagine mountains of code for peppy.
Fixed.
peppy
I've actually thought about adding such a feature more than once... The audio library I use has visualization support, so I think it is definitely a possibilty.

Of course, this will also see the need for a new editor mode to make the waveform useful in helping to time, which is quite a bit of work in itself.
fdtoonsman

Saturos wrote:

fdtoonsman wrote:

That would help, but wouldn't it be hard to implement? I can imagine mountains of code for peppy.
Fixed.
I thought peppy had multiple people working on Osu!? :|
YoshiKart

fdtoonsman wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=team
Saturos
fdtoonsman

Saturos wrote:

fdtoonsman wrote:

Not on the coding end of it.
Dang. Wow, I never knew that. Go peppy!
[deleted user]
I really like this game, and I can't really list all its good points :)

If you would like, I can get ddreamstudio to support osu's file format for only the timing data (i.e. BPM, offset, bpm changes).

The rest can be done in the osu editor (which is excellent). That way, you dont need to code a waveform viewer immediately.

What do you think?

As to:
but the editor was otherwise crappy so I never actually used it.
Ouch.
Gemi

jyris1 wrote:

If you would like, I can get ddreamstudio to support osu's file format for only the timing data (i.e. BPM, offset, bpm changes).

As to:
but the editor was otherwise crappy so I never actually used it.
Ouch.
Are you working on ddreamstudio perhaps?

The concept is good, but the usability really isn't when comparing to the SM/ITG PC editor. Maybe you would like to co-operate with the active step artists here in Finland to get some feedback on how to improve?
[deleted user]
Gemi

jyris1 wrote:

Are you working on ddreamstudio perhaps?
Yes, I'm the lead developer.

The concept is good, but the usability really isn't when comparing to the SM/ITG PC editor. Maybe you would like to co-operate with the active step artists here in Finland to get some feedback on how to improve?
Yes, I am curious as to how to improve.
I'll try to gather some of the best step artists here to give some feedback, though most of us are busy with other projects currently, like the new dance game in making by Positive Gaming and song packs of our own etc.

Do you use IRC at all? If so, that'd be the easiest way to communicate since basically every step artist in Finland is active on IRC. I can be reached with the nickname Gemi on QuakeNet, ircnet and the osu network.
[deleted user]
EDIT: I figured out how to log in to the web chat from this website. My nickname is jyris1, and I'm currently on #osu. It looks like 300 people are online. I see a "gem", is that you?

(if you haven't noticed yet I'm still trying to learn how to use IRC haha)