forum

Adjusting from Stepmania to Osumania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
--noodle
So I've played SM and DDR off and on all my life. I can only do 4k, anymore and my hands get mixed up. But two things.

1. Blue notes in the middle and red on the outside? Is there not a way to have this go according to the note (1/4th,1/8th, etc) like DDR? It really helps get my timing down.

2. Must release long notes on beat - I'm so used to Stepmania being lenient with that. It's really throwing me off and most misses are due to that

any tips??
yetii
If you mean having a skin that has different colors for specific timings, Pretty sure they don't exist here?

About the LN part, is just a thing of getting used to, maybe playing simple maps with lots of Long LN's might help out

like whith any other vsrg, playing alot is the key to improvement
Bobbias
Timing based color is not possible at the moment to the best of my knowledge.

As for learning to handle LNs better, my suggestion would be to pay close attention to the timing that releases occur on. Think of releases the same way you think of notes. And as Yetified said, playing maps with lots of LNs can be helpful, but only if you actually practice releasing correctly. If you're going to pick maps with lots of LNs, pick something a bit easier than you usually play (but with lots of LNs) so you don't have to focus on the other notes as hard. Watch your timing meter. Watch your replays and pay attention to your release timings in the replay, identify what you're doing wrong (too early, too late?) and consciously try to force yourself to correct it.
flowbro03
Don't worry, just keep practicing on reading notes and practicing timing on ln's and you can definitely do better. Also, my tip is that if you're thrown off by the only red and blue notes, just try practicing first by playing simfiles on stepmania on flat noteskin/vivid. The reason how I got used to it was for the reason that I played stepmania before both with 1/4ths,1/8ths and then one time, I couldn't change my noteskin for some rreason so I played stepmania with flat noteskin for a few months. It was definitely harder to get fc's with it, but I got used to it and got a few fc's with it. One last thing I have to tell you is to try improving your acc on harder songs like 3*+ and try to get a/s if you can. while your acc right now in mania may be 95%+, there's no point for that if you can't do 3* or 4*songs. Goodluck trying to improve on harder songs in mania and I hope these tips helped you.
EtienneXC
Good luck.

That's the best advice I can give you.

It takes a lot of patience to adapt to just about everything in this game lmao