forum

[invalid] [Mania] Ranking Dump

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
[ Odin ]
(Sorry for my bad english)
Hi, i create this request for ranked good dump Map on Mania. Why ? Because the dump is not popular, IS really hard, is not playing with massively people. Dump is really good for train, is training stamina, speed, control hand.. Just Perfect. Fullerene- have a lot of Dump with really good mapping. Evening too. And very more. Haelequin is ranked.. Why not other dump ? Blastix is ranked.. All Map Can be ranked.
Caput Mortuum
If a map is good and mapped properly, then it's not a dump.
Dump files - A simfile that consists of randomly placed arrows that are consistently off-sync with the rest of the song. Generally dump files are extremely difficult to pass as they tend to emulate no pattern and have outrageously close difficult patterns that have nothing to do with the song. The general population of dump files are nothing but crap...so if you get one, delete it.
Basically, it's overmapped.

Also, the point of dump charts is not for competitive plays, but to train yourself.
Halogen-
your definition of a dump file is somewhat misleading; they can be as you say, but not all of them are like that at all

in general, a dump file is one that generalizes steps to a song based off of means other than following direct musical elements; they aren't always made to be extremely difficult to pass, nor are they done to "emulate no pattern", as that would defeat the purpose of utilizing them for training in the first place.

there are also maps/charts that receive the term of a "semi-dump" - these actually contain coherent structures but are occasionally over-emphasized to help maintain a pace/desired difficulty.
Azubeur
No
Shoegazer

Eraser wrote:

If a map is good and mapped properly, then it's not a dump.
Dump files - A simfile that consists of randomly placed arrows that are consistently off-sync with the rest of the song. Generally dump files are extremely difficult to pass as they tend to emulate no pattern and have outrageously close difficult patterns that have nothing to do with the song. The general population of dump files are nothing but crap...so if you get one, delete it.
Basically, it's overmapped.
Dump charts and "overmapped" charts are synonymous. Any definition of "dump charts" that mean charts of low-quality is incorrect, it has never been that definition in the main community that originated that term (SM). The definition of "dump charts" is essentially creating a chart that is not precisely technically justified by the musical rhythms it provides (e.g. through heaviness of certain sounds or an absence of certain rhythms), but is still musically justified, albeit with a looser set of criteria. Dump charts are ultimately charts that convey the essence of a song without being restricted to strict technicalities of the song itself.

Please don't give definitions that are not justified by anything by what is essentially superficiality of the term.

Also, the point of dump charts is not for competitive plays, but to train yourself.
Part right, but mostly wrong. You can most definitely invoke competition through dump charting. If anything, dump charts create more competition since most dump charts on average are hard enough for players at the upper echelon of skill to be more invested than a conventional chart of "average" difficulty.

--
Back to the main point though.. dumps can already be ranked; just a specific type of dump charts. PLANET//SHAPER is a dump chart, Tokyo Teddy Bear and Sora no Senritsu are dump charts, Memoria (which was qualified a couple of times) is a dump chart. The mutual theme between those four charts is that they are overlayered charts - which means that there are still rhythms that justify them; it's just that the layering is notably on the heavier side for songs (or more specifically, sections of songs) of their given nature. You can also call those sections overemphasised, like what Halogen- said.

I assume the type of dump charting you meant are types like dreamless wanderer, Image Material and PEACE BREAKER though, all charts that do not have unambiguous musical rhythms that justify the existence of certain rhythms placed in charts. An example would be like a 1/8 stream to a long piano note, or something like that. While I have no qualms in ranking charts like those, I feel that they shouldn't be ranked simply because it's a massive headache to really find out whether or not a chart is "musically justified" if there are some ghost notes. For cases like dreamless wanderer or PEACE BREAKER, it's more acceptable; but there are charts like King For A Day or Tengaku that cannot be easily musically justified - and it's hard to give an objective reason as to why you'd feel such. People find it better to just disallow ghost notes altogether (except for very specific edge cases, and even some I don't agree with).

I do think that having a couple of charts with ghost notes being ranked (or a ranking criteria change) will eventually justify dump charts where there's ghost rhythms/notes, but as far as it goes I don't see ranking a certain facet of dump charts to happen any time soon for the amount of headache that it'd induce moderation-wise. I would love to see it of course (I think a ranking criteria change should allow for some charts of that nature to be allowed), but I think it's not much beyond a pipe dream.
Caput Mortuum
Oh.
In my head, dump charts are just unstructured, overmapped charts with nothing to justify their placement.
Full of 1/4 spam with nothing to follow or just following lenghtened sound and no apparent emphasis on certain spots.
Seems like I'm wrong, though I do feel that the ranked maps you mentioned above are a bit overmapped too.
o x
Why is this in feature request??? This isn't a feature to be added to the game. If you want a dump map ranked go make one and put it through the ranking system. Get mods and then a BN check for rank. If you are just posting here for discussion than you can post this topic in the Mania section of Gameplay and Rankings. This should not be in Feature Request. Also polls arent needed in Feature Request.