forum

Alternative tournaments

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Whyrden
Tournaments are cool but what if we added a little bit of spice ?

I don't know if it already exists but that would be awesome if there were fun tournaments like an Osu! quadrathlon where the players have to switch between modes, or maybe form a team with 1 member for each mode :)
I think that it would be really entertaining and could make people discovering other modes than their "main" one

Or maybe i thought about a cursor dance tournament to 8-)
Where there is a jury to judge the performance of the players, without only watching the accuracy or the combo :D

Tell me what you think, or maybe i'm just really late on the topic :?:
el Shinra
Interesting stuff. I remember talking with Flaven about a Olympic Games-like tournament. Where there would be nations, and each nation has a roster for each game mod. Obviously, this would need a HUGE experienced staff, dunno if it could really work.

But the idea is great, good to know people try to imagine different stuff for osu! tournaments.
TheKubaX
Or maybe i thought about a cursor dance tournament to 8-)
How do you think this should work? I mean, okay cursor dance is kinda okay, but it's really hard to cursor dance all the time. You can't really get FC or good accuracy on really hard maps.

Anyway, as Shinra said idea is great, but it really need experienced staff.
Topic Starter
Whyrden
Thanks for replying, indeed that would be a lot of work but it would be awesome :)

TheKubaX wrote:

How do you think this should work? I mean, okay cursor dance is kinda okay, but it's really hard to cursor dance all the time. You can't really get FC or good accuracy on really hard maps.
Not necessarilly really hard maps, and not through all the song, but in certain parts of it maybe :)

And instead of a live event players could be able to record their nicest play, add the best-looking skin they have and submit it, so everyone could vote and it would be easier to organize
But it would be more challenging in live :p

Like those guys who perform choreographies in dance dance revolution, the accuracy isn't the most important, the play just have to be nice to watch or impressive ^^

To be honest when I got interrested in cursordance I was surprised that nobody had already made a tutorial or a topic with tips, basic figures or good beatmaps to dance ...
Edgar_Figaro
About the quadrathon I had a similar thought a while back and thought of a way it could be structured.

Each map pool would have 21 maps. 4 Osu standard 2NM 2FM. 4 Taiko 2NM, 2FM. 4 CTB 2NM 2FM. 4 mania 1 4K NM, 1 4K FM, 1 7K NM, & 1 7K FM.
For the tie breakers the referee would role a number to decide which map was played. 1-24 standard, 25-49 taiko, 50-74 CTB, 75-87 mania 4K, 88-100 mania 7K with each being a set map so makes up the last 5 maps in the pool.

Could be either individual or team based. 2 bans per person/team but can only ban 1 from a certain gamemode. Picks would be standard except cannot pick same gamemode twice in a row. For the purposes here mania 4K & 7K count as the same.

Tournament schedule would be normal and would work fine for either single or double elimination.

Mania would need to be score v2 otherwise freemod would be pointless.
UtaXB
This is what I do.
I've only run one tournament, where in each map-pool category (HD,DT,HR,NM) we'd have one super hard map.

I've also thrown in an idea being more like "New meets old" where the map pool is only old songs, but only PP-milking players whom registered within' a year.
animexamera
Seems good i would participate
-Helium-
i think it should be 4 players and each play a gamemode...there are not that many allrounders
Edgar_Figaro

-Helium- wrote:

i think it should be 4 players and each play a gamemode...there are not that many allrounders
Actually someone is putting together a all-rounder tournament similar to the suggestion I made. Except only 4K for mania instead of both 4K & 7K. The Mix-Mash Tournament
Shino Inuzuka
Cursor dance tournament wouldn't work. Touchscreen and non-drag tablet players don't constantly move their cursor.