1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Development
  4. Project Loved

Please choose up to four (4) maps that you'd like to see enter the Loved listing.

Yousei Teikoku - Kuraki Sekai no Doukoku by Saten (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/64631)
9.20% 664
Hatsune Miku - Electric Love (t+pazolite Overcute Remix) by Zapy (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/50373)
10.41% 752
S.S.H - Intersect Thunderbolt-Remix by SnowNiNo_ (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/234785)
7.96% 575
DECO*27 - Ghost Rule by Awaken (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/413117)
17.02% 1229
Memme - Chinese Restaurant by rrtyui (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/399404)
16.78% 1212
Jomekka - Eighto by Tom94 (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/43095)
13.31% 961
Yooh - MariannE by neonat (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/285577)
9.47% 684
Kelemen Kabatban - Maradjatok Gyerekek feat. Ecku by [ Another ] (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/327265)
6.25% 451
Another Infinity feat. Mayumi Morinaga - COME BACK TO MY HEART (Ryu* Remix) by caren_sk (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/138407)
4.64% 335
Knife Party - Songs Compilation by TrigonometrY (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/123040)
4.96% 358
Total votes: 7221
Polling ended 2017-01-11 12:18:03
Polling is over and can not be voted on anymore.
show more
posted

MillhioreF wrote:

Where's oddloop, the rabbit jumping map has less than half the favorites rip :o

KromaRO wrote:

we need oddloop loved, such a fun map

BRAH wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

Where's oddloop, the rabbit jumping map has less than half the favorites rip :o
It will probably be selected in later rounds, right
Love you guys :>
posted
Personally I'd like maps like Mashed Potatoes better than just regular (and overmapped) hard maps
posted
lets go eighto lets go
posted

Toy wrote:

Remember how I said Loved category would be cool if it didn't continue to add stupid 9.5+* maps? Rabbit Jumping Style fits that pretty well.

There are PLENTY of other much more worthy maps that could be given leaderboards with this category in my opinion. You can always argue to "not vote for it" but there will always be plenty of newer players who are not concerned with quality but rather would see leaderboards on impossible maps because they can't exactly play any of the maps up for voting anyways.
And what's wrong with that? People like being impressed, and they like seeing top players attempt impossibly hard maps because it's exciting. These people are a significant part of the playerbase, and you don't get to determine what the only valid outcome here is supposed to be. If that makes the category look stupid in your eyes then that is entirely on you. People don't only vote based on quality, that was never the point of the loved category.

Stop making this about your preferences. Loved maps belong to the entire community.
posted

Railey2 wrote:

Toy wrote:

Remember how I said Loved category would be cool if it didn't continue to add stupid 9.5+* maps? Rabbit Jumping Style fits that pretty well.

There are PLENTY of other much more worthy maps that could be given leaderboards with this category in my opinion. You can always argue to "not vote for it" but there will always be plenty of newer players who are not concerned with quality but rather would see leaderboards on impossible maps because they can't exactly play any of the maps up for voting anyways.
And what's wrong with that? People like being impressed, and they like seeing top players attempt impossibly hard maps because it's exciting. These people are a significant part of the playerbase, and you don't get to determine what the only valid outcome here is supposed to be. If that makes the category look stupid in your eyes then that is entirely on you. People don't only vote based on quality, that was never the point of the loved category.

Stop making this about your preferences. Loved maps belong to the entire community.
yeah, let's completely ignore the fact there's already 100 jump spam maps in loved already woo GOLLY i love me some RABBIT JUMPING STYLE that literally no one actually plays anymore!

if hard maps like this are going to be in the loved pool i'd hope actual "pro" players play those maps and not just the 6 digits else your point is completely null and void
posted

Railey2 wrote:

And what's wrong with that? People like being impressed, and they like seeing top players attempt impossibly hard maps because it's exciting. These people are a significant part of the playerbase, and you don't get to determine what the only valid outcome here is supposed to be. If that makes the category look stupid in your eyes then that is entirely on you. People don't only vote based on quality, that was never the point of the loved category.

Stop making this about your preferences. Loved maps belong to the entire community.
The point of the Loved category isn't to fill it with overdone maps to see how the top players handle it. It's a showcase of decent quality mapsets that don't quite make it to Ranked but still deserve their own leaderboards. There are plenty of other higher quality, more popular difficult maps that aren't Galaxy Collapse level difficulty. To me that's a waste of a spot for a map that could possibly be more interesting and innovative.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to be impressed, but there are ways other than the Loved categories for people to watch top players be good at hard maps. I know my opinion isn't the only one that matters, but you can't honestly tell me that you'd weigh the opinion of 10 newcomers (by this I mean like <6 months of activity not just lower ranked players) over a more experienced player that knows a lot more about the community and mapping in general. Don't confuse significant with majority. They're not insignificant, but should not be weighed equally to more experienced/involved players.

This is the reason why Ignite was voted the "Best map of 2014" and why a hype map won in 2015. They reflected the opinion of the whole community, sure. But do you really agree that a generic TV size anime opening was the best map of that year with other more creative and innovative maps like Miss You?

The category isn't stupid in the slightest. I am very pleased with how it's turning out aside from voting infrequency and extremely minimal choice in what makes it into Loved. Don't try to spin this as me condemning the entire category because one or two "impossible" maps made it through. My point is that in my opinion they simply don't belong and there's very little I can do about it aside from express my dissatisfaction that they are being put up for voting in the first place.

My only preference is "not stupidly overdone". That's really it. If Loved maps belong to the entire community then please don't try to silence and invalidate me for trying to voice my own opinion. I am in fact "part of the community" like you said.
posted
Just because a map is insanely hard, it doesn't mean it's worth to have a leaderboard. the category should have some minimum of quality and uniqueness standards while I don't see it as something unique that a map is just plain hard. While I agree, the opinion of the community should be heard, maps like Intersect Thunderbolt-Remix shouldn't be considered as choice.
posted
Burnt Rice should've been here instead of Rabbit Jumping Style.
posted
yes
posted
i thought ghost rule was going for rank
posted
wow how underwhelming to have some of these choices after the voting is 3 weeks late x_x

difficulty rating is quality rating amirite
posted

Toy wrote:

Railey2 wrote:

And what's wrong with that? People like being impressed, and they like seeing top players attempt impossibly hard maps because it's exciting. These people are a significant part of the playerbase, and you don't get to determine what the only valid outcome here is supposed to be. If that makes the category look stupid in your eyes then that is entirely on you. People don't only vote based on quality, that was never the point of the loved category.

Stop making this about your preferences. Loved maps belong to the entire community.
The point of the Loved category isn't to fill it with overdone maps to see how the top players handle it. It's a showcase of decent quality mapsets that don't quite make it to Ranked but still deserve their own leaderboards. There are plenty of other higher quality, more popular difficult maps that aren't Galaxy Collapse level difficulty. To me that's a waste of a spot for a map that could possibly be more interesting and innovative.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to be impressed, but there are ways other than the Loved categories for people to watch top players be good at hard maps. I know my opinion isn't the only one that matters, but you can't honestly tell me that you'd weigh the opinion of 10 newcomers (by this I mean like <6 months of activity not just lower ranked players) over a more experienced player that knows a lot more about the community and mapping in general.
And that's where you're wrong. The loved category is not a showcase of the most high quality unranked maps, it's a showcase of the most popular unranked maps.

it it was about quality, then yes: Expert opinions should weigh more because they are more informed. But as it is, the category is not about that.

To quote:

CXu wrote:

Welp.




Objectively good/bad means nothing as long as the loved category is supposed to be what it is right now. If it did matter, we would just have a ranked category with more laxed rules, aka old approved.
The majority decides. Claiming that your opinion should weigh more, is just elitist.

Nobody argues that ignite is worse than miss you, but that's in no way relevant to this argument. i know that the majorities opinion doesn't necessarily reflect what the best map really is, but loved beatmaps aren't about quality. They are about how much love they get from the community, aka: popularity.

if your preference is ''not stupidly overdone'', then don't vote for these maps. That's what everyone else does too. Don't say that your preference constitutes a good enough reason for the team to change their entire selection of maps. Just be quiet and vote.
posted
Can we have Wonderman by Dubu in the next vote?
posted
Might not be doing another vote, and will just start porting maps with certain activity thresholds and favourite amounts directly into Loved. That or the next phase will start. I'm starting to think that votes have largely served their purpose.
posted

Railey2 wrote:

it's a showcase of the most popular unranked maps.
then Centipede needs to be loved, immediately. And Lanturn's Tewi map, and that 2B map by kiddly.
posted
pls remove loved section
posted

Railey2 wrote:

And that's where you're wrong. The loved category is not a showcase of the most high quality unranked maps, it's a showcase of the most popular unranked maps.

it it was about quality, then yes: Expert opinions should weigh more because they are more informed. But as it is, the category is not about that.

To quote:

CXu wrote:

Welp.




Objectively good/bad means nothing as long as the loved category is supposed to be what it is right now. If it did matter, we would just have a ranked category with more laxed rules, aka old approved.
The majority decides. Claiming that your opinion should weigh more, is just elitist.

Nobody argues that ignite is worse than miss you, but that's in no way relevant to this argument. i know that the majorities opinion doesn't necessarily reflect what the best map really is, but loved beatmaps aren't about quality. They are about how much love they get from the community, aka: popularity.

if your preference is ''not stupidly overdone'', then don't vote for these maps. That's what everyone else does too. Don't say that your preference constitutes a good enough reason for the team to change their entire selection of maps. Just be quiet and vote.
You're misinterpreting my point entirely. I'm not trying to claim that my vote should be worth more than anyone else's. I am simply annoyed that is basically diluted by the amount of newer players who will vote for a map that is hard. You don't see me complaining that the Knife Party marathon (a map I voted for) isn't getting votes because "MY VOTE MATTERS MORE AND I KNOW BETTER", I just accept it's not as popular. This issue is a bit different because I don't think Snownino's map belongs here right now. Please don't try to make this seem like I'm just mad the maps I want aren't being voted for. I am telling you that this one particular map does not belong from EITHER of our definitions.

Intersect Thunderbolt by my definition is not a very good map. It's overdone and not very high quality so I feel it doesn't belong. By your definition (being loved by the whole community and having lots of favorites) STILL doesn't make it fit into this category. The map only has 42 favorites. I can list 20 other maps more deserving of that spot than this Rabbit Jumping nonsense.

Maybe I misinterpreted the point of the category. I'll accept that it's not a showcase of higher quality unranked maps and rather maps that are extremely popular. The point about Ignite and Miss You was to show how majority vote isn't always the best option, but in this case it seems like that's exactly the point so it's invalid.

That said, the map I am pointing out does not fit into Loved no matter what definition you give the category as a whole. That was my entire point from the start. Everything else is just us arguing about what Loved is for and the effectiveness of the voting which Ephemeral stated he is removing anyways.

Besides, I thought the point of the forums was to express opinions and not to just "be quiet and vote". Open discussion is healthy and staying quiet if you feel like it could be run better is counter-intuitive. I did my part by not voting for that map. The other part is to explain why and maybe something will change.

In the end, you're right that the Loved category is not what I thought it was, but I will still tell you that Intersect doesn't belong.
posted

Ephemeral wrote:

Might not be doing another vote, and will just start porting maps with certain activity thresholds and favourite amounts directly into Loved. That or the next phase will start. I'm starting to think that votes have largely served their purpose.
Be careful with automation, knowing the community I wouldn't be surprised if they memed some really stupid maps into the category just by spamming it with favorites or plays for a week. The voting system was flawed because there was very little say that the community had for maps that were even put up for voting so unless you base it by actual favorite count, then it's probably best to move away from that system.
posted
As with all things, if the community memes something in, they probably wanted it in anyway. Spotlights are intended to be the premier "showcase" for really good and exceptional maps across both categories (ranked and loved). Loved isn't supposed to be a curated experience in that regard.
posted

Shiguri wrote:

pls remove loved section

Railey2 wrote:

but loved beatmaps aren't about quality. They are about how much love they get from the community, aka: popularity.
This is incorrect. A popular map =/= a map that the community loves, it can be controversial, and/or use new, experimental techniques in general.

For example, if HW's fastslidermap had been made after the loved section came out, which some people really didn't agree with at all, it probably would have gone straight to loved. But HW proved that with the map how you could effectively use sliders in a more intuitive way, and on a whole new level at that. After the madness of actually ranking the map, it ended up to be a very enjoyable ranked map. And that's just what I picture the "Loved" section is for: aiding the integration of unconventional mapping techniques into the ranking system. This could eventually affect the way we map today and move mapping forward even more, as that what I feel is the ultimate need for "loved" maps. If it were up to me, a map wouldn't need to be popular enough to be loved by the community, because maps like these can get buried, and this would be how I picture maps like these get exposure without harming a very polished ranking system like the one we have.

Therefore (because i saw some debate about this also), in my eyes, nobody is getting hurt if the map is mapped poorly (in general). I think of the loved system as a ranked system that just says "idgaf about the maps quality, this map cool af and i luv it." Some maps that don't look aesthetically appealing at all are still fun to play, e.g. a lot of older maps that are getting loved now already, so too bad 8-)

I just felt like I wanted to say something, let me know if my anything sounds inaccurate or incorrect.
show more
Please sign in to reply.